In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
96TL

Amp & Subs advice

Sup guys. I’m new to the forum. I’m getting ready to install some bass in my truck, and could use some advice. 

I have a Net Audio sealed box for under the rear bench. It was built for two JL 13Tw5-v2 subs. I also have a JL HD1200 to power them. My truck has Bose with the sub in the front console. 

The HD1200 is a pretty small amp. Usually I would put it under one of the front seats, but there’s very little room under there. 

Where are you guys mounting your amplifiers? I’m thinking I may be able to mount it to the box, but I want to be able to take the box out easily if needed. 

Also, it doesn’t look too easy to pass the power wire through the firewall either. I see the stock grommet on the drivers side, but is there another location on the passenger side? 

Thanks. 

I used abs plastic and double sided tape to mount on my back wall. They are out of the way and secure but it sucks to remove the seat to make adjustments initially. 

6184A1B2-A090-488E-96A5-06AF578AD3D3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Sup guys. I’m new to the forum. I’m getting ready to install some bass in my truck, and could use some advice. 

I have a Net Audio sealed box for under the rear bench. It was built for two JL 13Tw5-v2 subs. I also have a JL HD1200 to power them. My truck has Bose with the sub in the front console. 

The HD1200 is a pretty small amp. Usually I would put it under one of the front seats, but there’s very little room under there. 

Where are you guys mounting your amplifiers? I’m thinking I may be able to mount it to the box, but I want to be able to take the box out easily if needed. 

Also, it doesn’t look too easy to pass the power wire through the firewall either. I see the stock grommet on the drivers side, but is there another location on the passenger side? 

Thanks. 

Haha I just installed the same Amp last month in my truck came out perfect. 2 Awg wire. Nipped the top off the grommet by the break booster. Stick in a coat hanger or wire fish in from engine bay, tape and pull wire through. I ran the wire down the door jamb inside the track you need a small pick to get the flimsy plastic cover apart. 2 awg is the maximum you can run in the door jamb. 0 awg would need to be run underneath.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

IMG_0108.thumb.JPG.a39bea5e61908877c1209b902e1f81f5.JPG
That is nice and clean. My problem is i like fiddling with stuff changing boxes so need to change Amp settings sometimes. Pulling seats is no fun.

1 hour ago, wildlyfe200 said:

Haha I just installed the same Amp last month in my truck came out perfect. 2 Awg wire. Nipped the top off the grommet by the break booster. Stick in a coat hanger or wire fish in from engine bay, tape and pull wire through. I ran the wire down the door jamb inside the track you need a small pick to get the flimsy plastic cover apart. 2 awg is the maximum you can run in the door jamb. 0 awg would need to be run underneath.

I agree with this approach 100%.

I routed a 4 AWG power wire the exact same way and it worked out great.  I didn't remove the rear seat (I have a box on the floor with the amp mounted to it) so I thought the hardest part was routing the wire behind the rear seat in the back corner of the cab - not a terrible problem to have.

2 hours ago, wildlyfe200 said:

That is nice and clean. My problem is i like fiddling with stuff changing boxes so need to change Amp settings sometimes. Pulling seats is no fun.

This is definitely a clean install, but I like spending time tuning my settings, and I need the rear seat in all the time. Looks like I may have no choice though. 

2 hours ago, wildlyfe200 said:

Hey. Where did you find 2awg wire? It’s not very common. Of course JL sells a 50-foot roll for $300. 

I still don’t don’t get why the HD1200 needs 2awg wire. They recommend a 100-amp fuse. 4awg is good to 150-amps. 

You can trim the seat brackets so the back of the seat can be folded down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey. Where did you find 2awg wire? It’s not very common. Of course JL sells a 50-foot roll for $300. 

I still don’t don’t get why the HD1200 needs 2awg wire. They recommend a 100-amp fuse. 4awg is good to 150-amps. 
That's what JL reccommeded it's a little overkill. They tell you that you only need 100amp fuse. I know I am pushing that lil Amp at 1.4ohm with a Psi 18" sealed.

Parts express has good wire for $3 a foot 2 awg

https://www.parts-express.com/jsc-wire-2-awg-red-high-current-power-cable-1-ft-usa--100-180

Also it has more to do with length of run I'm using close to 20ft of wire. Oh yea order a couple extra feet I did and it fit perfect almost didn't make it.

I ordered 24 ft (4ga) and cut about 3 ft off.  My dist block is right by the jack.  I ran from the battery, through the driver side big grommet, down the driver side to the back then across to the jack holder. 

Also, order a shorter rca if using a lc2i.  I have a 3 ft one now but didn't at the time of install and now i've got to remove my seat again to get it swapped out (maybe one day lol).  That's the only real downfall of the amps on the back as previously mentioned.  Otherwise I like how they and all the wiring our secure and out of sight.  I just wish trimming the factor insulation piece neatly was possible. No matter what I did it always had snags and looked a bit junky.  

12 hours ago, Maxsuperdog said:

IMG_0108.JPG

Did you screw these right to the rear of the cab?

Everything is mounted to a piece of plywood that's been painted white. That was then attached to the rear wall with a combination of Velcro and liquid nail.

For wire I used Temco O gauge welding cable  run to my distro block. You can find it on ebay. Temco 4 gauge to the amps. The O gauge will fit in the wire raceways in the door sills if you cut the existing zip ties. Run the wire and rezip

You can also do a rear seat fold down mod. Cut 2 1/2 inches off of the retaining hooks on the back of the seat.

Like said earlier, there’s a rear seat mod that’ll allow you to flip the seat back down for amp access/tuning. 

• Like 1