2017 5.3L/8 speed lugging at throttle tip in

3 hours ago, SGS_Z71 said:

I just wanted to report back that mine does it all the way from 30 to 70 degrees.  I’ve driven in all of those conditions, still does it.  Wanted to close out this old post with a response that temperature doesn’t affect my issue.  

Thanks for the update.  Mine appears to getting worse.  I have also noticed the same symptoms at warmer temperatures.  It might not be quite as frequent but it is still there.  All the best luck to you.

Best of luck to you as well.  I am going to continue posting updates as I strongly suspect this truck will continue to worsen before I can complete the lemon law process, which according to my lawyer may take 3 (best case) to 10 months (worst case).  I’ve kept a good relationship with the dealer through the process, so I think that will work in my favor.  No sense is screaming like a raging lunatic, unless provoked of course.  The General Manager got a little of it because he said it was doing it “because of my driving style”.  This was of course before they pulled half of my motor apart. 

I have a 2018 Silverado crew cab 5.3 , 4wd, 6-speed, 5000 miles.  I have the same problem you described in your first post.  In the morning when I pull out of my driveway  I have to go up a small hill.  My truck hesitates,  shudders,  "chuggles", shifts bad, and basically runs like crap. It does this every day, cold weather or warm.  Even after it warms up I can feel a hesitation driving at speeds up to about 50 mph.  I have taken it to three different dealerships, they all say they don't feel anything and it's runs the way it is supposed too.  I have opened a complaint with GM but until a technician says he feels what I'm feeling they won't take my complaints seriously.  The second dealership I took it to couldn't give me a loaner car but I left it anyway.  I figured I could get buy for a couple of days if it meant getting my truck fixed.  I left it on a Monday morning, Thursday afternoon I hadn't heard anything from them so I called, THEY HADN"T DRIVEN IT YET!!!  I was pissed, I'm bending over backwards trying to get my truck fixed and that's the way I'm treated.  But it gets worse, they call me the next day  to say they're putting two new tires on the front and that should take care of my problem????????  That's what I've been dealing with, I feel your pain.

6 hours ago, olds442 said:

I have a 2018 Silverado crew cab 5.3 , 4wd, 6-speed, 5000 miles.  I have the same problem you described in your first post.  In the morning when I pull out of my driveway  I have to go up a small hill.  My truck hesitates,  shudders,  "chuggles", shifts bad, and basically runs like crap. It does this every day, cold weather or warm.  Even after it warms up I can feel a hesitation driving at speeds up to about 50 mph.  I have taken it to three different dealerships, they all say they don't feel anything and it's runs the way it is supposed too.  I have opened a complaint with GM but until a technician says he feels what I'm feeling they won't take my complaints seriously.  The second dealership I took it to couldn't give me a loaner car but I left it anyway.  I figured I could get buy for a couple of days if it meant getting my truck fixed.  I left it on a Monday morning, Thursday afternoon I hadn't heard anything from them so I called, THEY HADN"T DRIVEN IT YET!!!  I was pissed, I'm bending over backwards trying to get my truck fixed and that's the way I'm treated.  But it gets worse, they call me the next day  to say they're putting two new tires on the front and that should take care of my problem????????  That's what I've been dealing with, I feel your pain.

I've been in a similar situation as you for the past year and 3 months. All of the issues with my truck were never able to be replicated, then I would go for a ride along and they would "magically" start happening. The best thing to do is be persistent and assertive. Don't be rude, but make it clear that you aren't an idiot, there IS a problem, and you are NOT going away until the problem is corrected. Keep good documentation, record your phone calls if you can, save all repair orders and make sure the service writer includes specific details in the repair orders. This way if the issue remains uncorrected after an extended period of time you can file a lemon law claim.

I am glad this thread is starting to hit search functions so other people can try to use what I’m going through to help them.  On the downside, I hate that other people have issues like this.  As the last person posted, it is very crucial to be persistent, keep your cool, and document.  If you are recording phone calls, legally you have to inform and receive consent, just be aware of that.  The key step is to figure out how to make it happen on command, take a tech with you, then make them drive and do the same thing.  Then have them document that; it asserts an issue exists, which will be helpful as the case proceeds.  

I’ve committed myself to the long haul.  3-10 month process, I’m hoping we get it done in 3 months as I know GM wants my truck to take to their proving grounds.  All in all, GM has over $10k in repair attempts on my truck.  Crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 8:00 AM, SGS_Z71 said:

I am glad this thread is starting to hit search functions so other people can try to use what I’m going through to help them.  On the downside, I hate that other people have issues like this.  As the last person posted, it is very crucial to be persistent, keep your cool, and document.  If you are recording phone calls, legally you have to inform and receive consent, just be aware of that.  The key step is to figure out how to make it happen on command, take a tech with you, then make them drive and do the same thing.  Then have them document that; it asserts an issue exists, which will be helpful as the case proceeds.  

I’ve committed myself to the long haul.  3-10 month process, I’m hoping we get it done in 3 months as I know GM wants my truck to take to their proving grounds.  All in all, GM has over $10k in repair attempts on my truck.  Crazy.

Had final repair attempt yesterday.  While I haven’t yet received a call from GM, when I spoke with the dealer he told me the engineer that visited did feel the symptom once when he first started the test drive but didn’t feel it the rest of the drive.  He stated this is a normal chacteristic of the truck.  REALLY?????  A ~56000 herky jerky piece of $!#@????

I will see what they say when they call me but at the end of my rope.

It is also rumored that a potential bulletin is being drafted to dealers stating this is normal for these trucks.

Wonder where in the operators manual or sales literature it states to pay no attention to the stumbling jerking you new vehicle does as it is a normal chacteristic? ?‍♂️ 

Good luck!  If you aren’t happy, hold your ground until you’re out of options.  Maybe get a replacement truck?  

No new news on my side.  Suit was filed 4 weeks ago, now their investigation and see what they come back with.  

Edited by SGS_Z71

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought a 2017 gmc sierra elevation, after I got it home I noticed hesitation or like a surging when accelerating. I went to dealer a few times, had all computers updated, a new torque converter installed, I bought a tuner, got a custom tune, still the same piece of crap. Gm said nothing they could do as long as check engine light wasn't coming on that's the way I had to drive it. I started checking things on my own, it's almost a year now and I think I finally figured it out. It's the garbage fuel peddle, it's made of plastic and mounted on plastic, it moves up and down on plastic runners. If you reach in and give it a shake it feels like it will fall off. Well I moved the pedel all the way to the top and used some zip ties to anchor it solid, now the truck operates like it should, what a difference, no more hesitation. I'll definitely test it more and again bring it to gm to have it looked at. 

12 hours ago, Soundbone said:

So I bought a 2017 gmc sierra elevation, after I got it home I noticed hesitation or like a surging when accelerating. I went to dealer a few times, had all computers updated, a new torque converter installed, I bought a tuner, got a custom tune, still the same piece of crap. Gm said nothing they could do as long as check engine light wasn't coming on that's the way I had to drive it. I started checking things on my own, it's almost a year now and I think I finally figured it out. It's the garbage fuel peddle, it's made of plastic and mounted on plastic, it moves up and down on plastic runners. If you reach in and give it a shake it feels like it will fall off. Well I moved the pedel all the way to the top and used some zip ties to anchor it solid, now the truck operates like it should, what a difference, no more hesitation. I'll definitely test it more and again bring it to gm to have it looked at. 

Post some pictures if you can please?

7So I bought a 2017 gmc sierra elevation, after I got it home I noticed hesitation or like a surging when accelerating. I went to dealer a few times, had all computers updated, a new torque converter installed, I bought a tuner, got a custom tune, still the same piece of crap. Gm said nothing they could do as long as check engine light wasn't coming on that's the way I had to drive it. I started checking things on my own, it's almost a year now and I think I finally figured it out. It's the garbage fuel peddle, it's made of plastic and mounted on plastic, it moves up and down on plastic runners. If you reach in and give it a shake it feels like it will fall off. Well I moved the pedel all the way to the top and used some zip ties to anchor it solid, now the truck operates like it should, what a difference, no more hesitation. I'll definitely test it more and again bring it to gm to have it looked at. 

20180614_124729.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just bought a 2018 Sierra and I have already felt this issue.  Less than 400 miles on it.  Here's my question for you owners with a lot more mileage than me, is this causing future issues for the truck drivetrain or tranny or just a pain in the arse.  I absolutely love the truck and will learn to deal with this by having a little bit heavier of a foot if needs be. 

Side note: came for a 2000 Chevy Hoe with 279000 miles and it still was a daily driver so I would like to expect close to the same from this new truck hopefully!   

I am the original starter of this thread.  My truck now has just shy of 28,000 miles on it and is still a basket case.  I now have issues of delayed engagement, occasional shudder from the TC, drivers info center repeatedly will tell me to open and close my drivers window, passenger power mirror occasionally won’t close/open, and getting popping/clunking from the front end.  I have no idea what the issues are anymore and have stopped all attempts to have repaired.  I am still working through the lemon law process.

Outside of these issues, it is the nicest truck I’ve ever had and I wish it wouldn’t have gone this way. It is somewhat suspect that they aren’t offering the 5.3 with 8 speed and AFM in the 2019, only with the DFM.....