2017 5.3L/8 speed lugging at throttle tip in

#16-NA-175: Shake and/or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration Between 25 and 80 MPH (40 and 128 KM/H) at a Steady State -

All Applications EXCEPT 2017-2018 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon Service Procedure

Important: Requires Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF DEXRON HP transmission fluid.

Note: U.S. dealers must order the Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF DEXRON HP fluid through your local General Motors oil distributor. When contacting the General Motors oil distributor request Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF DEXRON HP. Canadian dealers must order through CCA using the current part number in the Electronic Part Catalog.

1. Drain, Clean pan/magnet, Replace Filter, Oil Fill, & Remove fluid from the oil cooler lines.

Note: If you find that the fluid is cloudy, milky, or appears to be contaminated with water or engine coolant, DO NOT proceed with below steps. Follow Both SI Procedures for “Cooling System Leak Testing” and “Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission.”

• A.) Use filtered compressed air regulated to 60 psi to remove transmission fluid from the transmission oil cooler lines.
    • B.) Remove the transmission fluid pan and drain transmission fluid following SI procedures for the application you’re working on. Discard all oil.
    • C.) Clean the pan/magnet if any metallic particles present and replace transmission filter.

Install the transmission fluid pan and refill with new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF DEXRON HP transmission fluid following the Fluid Fill Procedure in SI to obtain correct fluid level.

The shudder should be improved after the completion of this flush procedure.

Note: Shudder should improve directionally right away, but for full affect, the vehicle may need to be driven up to 200 miles (322 km) and a minimum of two cold to hot drive cycles before determining if the fluid flush corrected the condition or not. Do not re-evaluate vehicle for additional customer shudder concerns until the vehicle has been driven 200 miles (322 km).

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I don’t believe that describes my issue.  I do not have the shudder like I’ve seen in the “Chevy shake” videos.

edit - I have decided to ask them to review for this issue and/or do the fast learn reprogram.

Edited by SGS_Z71

19 hours ago, SGS_Z71 said:

Wow, glad mine isn’t that bad (yet).  If you don’t mind, can you please keep me updated?  I will do the same.  I definitely do not have shudder, sounds like you don’t either.  

Glad they are data logging, I asked for the same but it sounds like I have to give my truck to a tech for a period of time to joyride in.

Update for you.  We are suspecting bad fuel, from subpar station, at this time.

As stated earlier truck was going to be data logged yesterday afternoon, so my brother topped off his tank (9 gallons) at a different Sunoco station than normal before getting to dealer.  The entire way from work to station and then dealer, the truck would "chuggle" on command.  After driving with laptop for a few miles the chuggle started to subside and confusion set in.  Keep in mind, GM was only looking at transmission data at the time, no discussions at all with fuel, and reported the truck to be mechanically sound but would be in touch after additional data review.  So driving truck home my brother suddenly realizes the possibility of it not being transmission shudder but related to the fuel.

At this time this is making some sense as both he and I have exclusively used 91 or 93 from this rural Sunoco station over the past 4 months.  As stated earlier our driving style and commutes are identical and we both have same issues.  I currently do not have my truck due to it being at dealer for CEL for evap purge solenoid going bad and what we thought was trans shudder repair.  I should get truck back today and will be getting fuel at new location.  This is all very frustrating.

13 minutes ago, SGS_Z71 said:

Unfortunately, I don’t believe that describes my issue.  I do not have the shudder like I’ve seen in the “Chevy shake” videos.

" When I leave my house in the morning, on a 25 mph road I can feel a chugging/lugging (feels like the same thing as when trying to drive a manual trans in too high of a gear at low speed)."

Since you said that, I would try it.  The above bulletin is not for the Chevy shake thing, which has been going on since the 14's came out.  This bulletin is 8 speed specific.

3 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

" When I leave my house in the morning, on a 25 mph road I can feel a chugging/lugging (feels like the same thing as when trying to drive a manual trans in too high of a gear at low speed)."

Since you said that, I would try it.  The above bulletin is not for the Chevy shake thing, which has been going on since the 14's came out.  This bulletin is 8 speed specific.

Yeah, I’ve just left them a message that I want them to perform this.  See how many times I have to call.  Hate this crap.

Definitely want to follow the issue.

I believe it could be one of several issues, and nailing down the right one is probably a challenge.  

My dealer's used car lot, (excuse me, I meant "pre-owned"), has numerous 16 and 17 8-speeds.  Makes you wonder.  

My neighbors 'vette just had the procedure done with Mobile one, as mentioned above - he's owned numerous vettes and says it fixed the problem.  

In my case, I came over form an eco boost, which was also just as fitful as my Sierra when starting out cold.  In addition, the hesitation/softness in the initial acceleration of my 5.3 is so much less than the turbo spool lag I had in the eco, so maybe I don't notice it's happening.

7 minutes ago, BamCam said:

Update for you.  We are suspecting bad fuel, from subpar station, at this time.

As stated earlier truck was going to be data logged yesterday afternoon, so my brother topped off his tank (9 gallons) at a different Sunoco station than normal before getting to dealer.  The entire way from work to station and then dealer, the truck would "chuggle" on command.  After driving with laptop for a few miles the chuggle started to subside and confusion set in.  Keep in mind, GM was only looking at transmission data at the time, no discussions at all with fuel, and reported the truck to be mechanically sound but would be in touch after additional data review.  So driving truck home my brother suddenly realizes the possibility of it not being transmission shudder but related to the fuel.

At this time this is making some sense as both he and I have exclusively used 91 or 93 from this rural Sunoco station over the past 4 months.  As stated earlier our driving style and commutes are identical and we both have same issues.  I currently do not have my truck due to it being at dealer for CEL for evap purge solenoid going bad and what we thought was trans shudder repair.  I should get truck back today and will be getting fuel at new location.  This is all very frustrating.

Wow, weird... I know mine isn’t fuel because I drive across multiple states, stations, etc, doesn’t matter where I get it.  Will be interested to hear what you have next on this!

1 minute ago, Largely Unknown said:

Definitely want to follow the issue.

I believe it could be one of several issues, and nailing down the right one is probably a challenge.  

My dealer's used car lot, (excuse me, I meant "pre-owned"), has numerous 16 and 17 8-speeds.  Makes you wonder.  

My neighbors 'vette just had the procedure done with Mobile one, as mentioned above - he's owned numerous vettes and says it fixed the problem.  

In my case, I came over form an eco boost, which was also just as fitful as my Sierra when starting out cold.  In addition, the hesitation/softness in the initial acceleration of my 5.3 is so much less than the turbo spool lag I had in the eco, so maybe I don't notice it's happening.

If I hand over this one, I am likely going to the coyote 5.0L in the Ford.  My biggest struggle is determining if it’s a trans issue or engine.  I would expect a CEL if engine, but who knows.  

On 1/10/2018 at 10:06 AM, SGS_Z71 said:

Wow, weird... I know mine isn’t fuel because I drive across multiple states, stations, etc, doesn’t matter where I get it.  Will be interested to hear what you have next on this!

Got my truck back yesterday and tank was almost empty so filled at new gas station and after 50 miles it still has this performance issue.  TSB was complete...new gas... issue still exist in same driving conditions prior to service.  I found the below thread and I think you, my brother and myself are experiencing this.

After all this I am assuming GM programming issue that will not be resolved and as stated in thread is performing "as designed".  My brother is awaiting an appointment with the GM engineer for a ride along (1-2 weeks).  I expect same results.  I will be looking to tune my problems away with a tune or supercharger(Mallett).

3 hours ago, BamCam said:

Got my truck back yesterday and tank was almost empty so filled at new gas station and after 50 miles it still has this performance issue.  TSB was complete...new gas... issue still exist in same driving conditions prior to service.  I found the below thread and I think you, my brother and myself are experiencing this.

After all this I am assuming GM programming issue that will not be resolved and as stated in thread is performing "as designed".  My brother is awaiting an appointment with the GM engineer for a ride along (1-2 weeks).  I expect same results.  I will be looking to tune my problems away with a tune or supercharger(Mallett).

That sucks!  I dropped mine off today.  Was a fiasco in itself that I don’t feel like getting into. I sat down for a 1/2 hour with the service manager. Needless to say I’m driving a nice Tahoe 6 speed for a few days because they can’t touch my truck for 2-3 days.  He pretty much told me he doubts he will be able to do anything but will do his best.  We started talking about tuning and what was most interesting is that he said, you know warranty decisions go through me and I’ve only had one circumstance where gm requested calibration records.

Seems to me that they are telling me tuning is the only way to fix and they will help me, but with my travel, I think it’s risky.  If I have to service elsewhere....

I am likely going to drive with the tech next week.  Good news is that I’ve gotten good at repeating it.  Accelerate on the freeway in 8th gear from 60-70 mph without a downshift and you will feel it every time.  

Not giving up hope yet, but have a lot of doubt.

It sounds like you are driving my truck.  Every hill I start up it feels like the engine is intermittently dropping a cylinder.  Been at the dealer twice for this issue.  Second time performed a transmission fluid flush.  No difference.  Now being told by dealer nothing else they can do.

They are telling me it is aggressive torque converter clutch engagement causing the jerk/surge.

Could not be more disappointed with a $55000 new truck.

Called and filled a complaint with Chevrolet.  Guess I will see where it goes.

Very interested if you ever reach any resolution.

59 minutes ago, 13891 said:

It sounds like you are driving my truck.  Every hill I start up it feels like the engine is intermittently dropping a cylinder.  Been at the dealer twice for this issue.  Second time performed a transmission fluid flush.  No difference.  Now being told by dealer nothing else they can do.

They are telling me it is aggressive torque converter clutch engagement causing the jerk/surge.

Could not be more disappointed with a $55000 new truck.

Called and filled a complaint with Chevrolet.  Guess I will see where it goes.

Very interested if you ever reach any resolution.

I’m going to guess we are all screwed based on hearing more and more from you guys.  I also intend to file a complaint if this doesn’t work out.  Don’t think a lemon law will fly on this though.  I may just say screw it and have it tuned.  I don’t think I can deal with this for another 50,000 miles.  What kills me is this Tahoe loaner runs like a top, way better.  

Will post more when I hear more back.  

Thanks for the posts, glad (but not glad) that I’m not the only one experiencing this.

You guys aren’t going to believe this.  Driving the Tahoe this morning, 2018 5.3 6 speed, driving 25-30 mph on a slight incline, it did the same freaking thing....

I might as well just go pick my truck back up.  They aren’t going to be able to do squat.

Tune or trade.... the next decision.

9 hours ago, SGS_Z71 said:

You guys aren’t going to believe this.  Driving the Tahoe this morning, 2018 5.3 6 speed, driving 25-30 mph on a slight incline, it did the same freaking thing....

I might as well just go pick my truck back up.  They aren’t going to be able to do squat.

Tune or trade.... the next decision.

I had a 2018 5.3 Silverado 6spd as a loaner.  Although it wasn’t quite as bad as mine, it was doing the same thing.  GM better get their crap together.  Maybe that is why they are offering such huge discounts on new 18 models.