2017 6.2 Dipstick oil level marks ??

My dipstik just has 2 dots on it about 1/2” apart no other markings I assumed correct level would be between the 2 dots however have had 2 oil changes so far and both times the oil level is about 1/2” ABOVE the top  dot  ???

is this correct ?? 2 nd oil change at dealer I watched him add the correct amount of oil with filter 7.6  Liters or 8 qts Seems like a odd  dipstik marking anybody else noticed this ????  

• 2 months later...

My 2017, 6.2, V8, Sierra 1500 has the same dot spacing, however it also has hatch markings on one side. 

Have you looked at both sides of the stick? 

I know about 1/4 inch above the hatch equals to less than half a liter of oil. So it your's is a half inch, it's probably about a 1 liter over. That's quite a bit over. As for watching the guy put in 7.6liters, there could have been (always is) some old oil in the system after he drained it. My point being, there are two apporaches to oil reading, the dip stick and what you put in. 

With my motorcycles I will put in new oil based on measured quanity, becuase only a miniscule amount can be left after draining the tiny motor. With big motors like these trucks, too many variables (was old oil completely drained, was truck level during draining, etc) for some oil to be left in the system and causing overfill with measuring out quanity. I go by the dipstick for proper level, unless manufacturer information comes out stating the dip stick is wrong, IMHO.

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

• Thanks 1

I have the dipstick in pics above in my 5.3 and I've found in order to get an accurate reading on the dipstick, I have to push it in till it's like 6" or so from being seated, and then push it down all the way and pull it out fast.  If I don't I just see solid oil well above the full mark.  I'm not sure why the dipstick is so over done on these trucks.  My old dodge was just flat the whole length and a no brainer to check.  These have that spiral in then and the oil seems to pick up from the spiral maybe

Edited by Tyy1907

Has anyone noticed how the stick can read full on one side and a 1/4 to half the hatch mark area lower on the other side?

I'm assuming the upside is the side reading more oil???

I can see how if someone pulled the stick with the hatch markings down (assuming the bottom side of the stick is not the correct side to read the oil level) and read that as the oil level they could inadvertantly be reading the wrong oil level.

I don't know how to read this thing. Never had a dip stick give me different readings depending on what side you're looking at. Guess I should ask a GM dealer mechanic, but I have a feeling on the answer.

Edited by logrolller
  • Like 1

I have seen this many times on different equipment over the years.  I always take the lowest reading as the correct one.  Some equipment manuals have even directed to do so.  Good luck!

Edited by Wxman

I recently had the HPFP go bad and it was leaking gas into the crankcase oil. Dealer replaced the HPFP and changed oil and it has been good since. Oil level was way over full and kept rising. Now I check it at every fuel up. Next oil change I will be sending oil in for analysis to see if I can detect if any engine damage resulted from gas diluting the oil. The poster above stated how to get a good reading on the oil dipstick, push it all the way in until seated and then pull it out quickly. I always do at least 3 checks for consistency. My oil level is steady now that they replaced the HPFP and the gas smell of the oil has dissipated. Never would have thought about having an gasoline diluted oil problem on a 2017 truck with less than 15k miles. Lucky me I guess. Hopefully the oil analysis shows no excessive wear. GM says no damage and not a problem Hmmmm  

• 1 month later...

Not sure how "pull it out quickly" changes anything.

Seating it completely is all that needs to be done correctly, outside or proper wait times after running the motor. Pulling the dipstick out slow or fast makes no difference. In fact, I'd take it slow so no oil flings off the tip on to my engine (to keep it pretty) as it releases from the tube.

I resisted the locker room jokes embedded in my statement. 

On 4/4/2018 at 7:31 PM, Dnt said:

I recently had the HPFP go bad and it was leaking gas into the crankcase oil. Dealer replaced the HPFP and changed oil and it has been good since. Oil level was way over full and kept rising. Now I check it at every fuel up. Next oil change I will be sending oil in for analysis to see if I can detect if any engine damage resulted from gas diluting the oil. The poster above stated how to get a good reading on the oil dipstick, push it all the way in until seated and then pull it out quickly. I always do at least 3 checks for consistency. My oil level is steady now that they replaced the HPFP and the gas smell of the oil has dissipated. Never would have thought about having an gasoline diluted oil problem on a 2017 truck with less than 15k miles. Lucky me I guess. Hopefully the oil analysis shows no excessive wear. GM says no damage and not a problem Hmmmm  

Yes, hi rpms, towing a load, fast acceleration, etc., all causes oil consumption. Where it is going is the question. 

Stated oil capacity for almost any engine is a dry value, at a dealer or quick-change oil place you're lucky if the oil pan drain plug is out for 5 minutes, not near long enough for all the old oil to drain from the top end even with the oil up to operating temperature, that's why it's not uncommon for people to report an overfill of oil from either one of those places, they add the stated dry capacity. For you DIY's out there that have a weekend for a little experiment, try this, next time you change your oil, drain the oil for 5 minutes into your usual pan, replace the plug and replace the drain pan with a clean quart jar, remove the drain plug and let it drain overnight or for at least 12 hours into the quart jar, I wager you'll be surprised on how much more dirty oil you get out. The old sbc's with the drain plug on the driver's side of the oil pan you could get even more dirty oil out by ramping up the passenger side so the drain plug was at the lowest possible level. Oh, btw, just call me anal. :D

On 4/4/2018 at 10:31 PM, Dnt said:

Not to hijack, but good to hear your issue with the HPFP was fixed and seems to be holding.  Same here after my HPFP was replaced. The oil level seems normal and no gasoline smell.  Mines a lease so if there's any engine damage it will be on GM's dime under warranty, or the truck will be long gone.  Doesn't make sense how this happens to such a new vehicle.  It must have been a supplier issue.

Edited by Foghorn17

I've found that level ground is very important when reading the dipstick on the 5.3. 

I mean wow, if the ground is off by an inch? I'm getting very different readings. The other day I checked it and it looked like it was overfilled by a quart. Moved the truck to another spot and it was perfect. Drives me crazy. Plus that 0w20 just flows like water...if you're not on perfectly level ground it sure seems to move a lot. 

Just got word on this repair.

I have a sensor that started a very minor weep leak, but as leaks go, they usually get worse. I took the truck in again, (told them the last time it was in for an oil change that the sensor was leaking), and now they are replacing the oil pump control solenoid. Said the timing cover has to be removed to access it. That may be true or I'm confused as the sensor is in the front. Here's a pic of the sensor I found leaking, it's the one on the left. This is under the water pump. Told this would not be related to oil consumption, but only controls oil flow. 

fullsizeoutput_207c.jpeg

• 5 months later...

I do my own oil changes on my 6.2. 8 quarts, per the manual, poured in every time with the oil plug left off for a while to drain as much old oil out as possible. Every time I check the dip stick, the oil is just above the hash mark area. I do not burn or use any oil between changes so it always stays just above the hash mark. Never smelled oil or had pressure issues so I'm assuming all is ok.