Did I miss out? 2014 to 2018

Long story... My mother is looking into getting a Colorado or Canyon so I've been going to dealers with her on and off for the past couple months. We went to a Chevrolet dealer this past Thursday and for the first time I actually took a look at a 2018 Silverado. I'm pretty happy with my truck, 2014 CCSB, Texas Edition, 1LT, towing package, red, a couple mods. I haven't had any issues with it (minus a backseat tearing at the seam, mostly my fault but replaced by warranty. A dead battery at 43k also). Reading about the issues here, I consider myself pretty lucky. I still get compliments on it and so does my wife, she drives it more than I do as I d DD my T/A.

However, I did settle for my truck when I got it. I really wanted a Z71 4wd truck. Mine is only a 2wd and 4wd were way overpriced when I got mine here. With my city being a dessert city and we never get snow or any severe weather, 4wd is a luxury and not a necessity. With that being said, I feel like 4wd became very affordable over the last couple years or GM is making a plethora of 4wd trucks and they have to get them out also. 

Now to my topic. I saw a beautiful 2018 CCSB, Ocean blue, Z71 4wd, 1LT truck at the lot when I was there looking at Colorado's, I asked for the price and I was very surprised with it. Of course that was with the "employee pricing" that they had going on. The truck was being sold for 38k. I then checked the KBB on my truck and saw that its right about what we owe on it. So in theory, we should break even with a trade-in. Would that have happened? Who knows. Anyways, I had to talk it over with my wife and we didn't want to rush into anything but I'll post links of the two trucks that I was thinking about. The lower equipped one was at 38k and the higher equipped one was at 40k. The holiday pricing ended and the prices skyrocketed, so I won't be buying either truck at their current price. 

To my question, did I miss out? Does anyone know when prices like those discounts will be available again? I'm not digging the 2019 and I'd rather get a 2018 and hold on to it for a good while, fully satisfying my wants and needs. 

41k truck 

http://www.missionchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2018-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LT_Z71-El_Paso-TX/3130010833

38k truck

http://www.missionchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2018-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LT_Z71-El_Paso-TX/3068788933

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can afford it , go for more options I would have gotten a 6.2L motor the MPGs are ridiculously great, right there with the 4.3L  , even the 2017 leftovers probably cheaper,  the body styles are the same ,

I think the 2018 have the 100 year bowtie badges,

I don't know about the 8 speed transmission though I see complaints but that may be just a couple of bad apples in the mix  , I see both trucks you picked have the 6 speed 

I have a 2014  GMC with the 4.3L with 6 speed combo work truck   with 83000 Miles ,tow 4 or 5 times a month had zero problems with I just noticed some water leaking maybe the pump but a great run so far ,

I have a personal 2017 LTZ silverado 5.3L  6 speed combo got it for $44,000   hope I am just as lucky with it, 

Just try to get everything you want and don't settle for something less because nothing worse than trading a perfectly good running and good looking truck like the 2015s were and regret it every time you drive it

But If you go for it you will have a new truck with no miles , If the wife agrees , and the numbers are good , I would be signing already :D 

My local dealer claims to have "no haggle pricing". Which just means they show you the actual price and don't negotiate. I was skeptical about that when I was shopping. I called 2 other dealers in nearby cities and asked for their price on the same exact truck. Both dealers told me numbers within $100 of the original one.

The MSRP is just a marketing ploy, like Rally 216 said at Kohls they tell you everything is 40% off. But nothing is ever sold at the MSRP price. You should be able to buy any new vehicle around 10%-15% below MSRP.

At those prices you listed, they are very close to mine. I got my Z71 All-star with heated seats with tax+ title for just a hair under 40k.

Depending on the time of year, if they are trying to move old inventory, the deal is better than when the models just come out. But at those prices you quoted for December are probably your best price. I'd call the dealer and tell him you saw those numbers and ask for his best price out the door.

When I bought my 2014 (a month before the 2015's came out) I ended up getting mine for about 23% off msrp and I thought man I better hop on that, won't be able to get that deal when the economy improves.  I was wrong, I have had two of my buddies buy silverado's the last couple of years and they both got theirs for 20%+ off of msrp.  The kohls reference is very true, these trucks are always around 20% off msrp.  My local dealers are always advertising on tv those kinds of deals 3 years after I bought mine.  As far as 4wd goes that is about all you'll find in my neck of the woods because they just can't sell many 2wd's or V6's either.  We don't get that much snow in my area and I drove 2wd trucks just fine in my younger days but as I got older I could afford a 4wd and they do come in handy a few times a year plus resale is a little better.

I played around with the truck builder on the Chevy site last night for my area code anyway they had 0% for 60 if financed with Ally. Sometimes it works out better to take the financing rather than the discounts. I bought my 15 LT for 35.5 sticker was 45 that was with $1500 if financed with Ally instead of the 0%. I took the $1500 but I paid if off in 20 months I did the math It cost me $700 in interest or I saved $800 how ever you want to look at it. If I would have made 72 months of payments it would have been around $3000 in interest or 45 bucks a month. I could have got a lower rate at the credit union but would have lost the $1500. 

as long as you are at 20% off MSRP you are getting a fine deal...many times you can do better, but you cant be too picky (i.e. certain trucks will get dealer tags others wont).  i wouldnt strongly encourage you to hold off or negotiate to at LEAST a 20% discount off of any specific truck's MSRP. 

hope that helps.

Be wary of the kbb trade in numbers.  I recently found out that kbb was showing a trade in value considerably higher than other sources like nada or manhiem.  I had expected to get 7-8k for my caddy I traded, but I had to fight to get 5k.

3 hours ago, tnchevy said:

When I bought my 2014 (a month before the 2015's came out) I ended up getting mine for about 23% off msrp and I thought man I better hop on that, won't be able to get that deal when the economy improves.  I was wrong, I have had two of my buddies buy silverado's the last couple of years and they both got theirs for 20%+ off of msrp.  The kohls reference is very true, these trucks are always around 20% off msrp.  My local dealers are always advertising on tv those kinds of deals 3 years after I bought mine.  As far as 4wd goes that is about all you'll find in my neck of the woods because they just can't sell many 2wd's or V6's either.  We don't get that much snow in my area and I drove 2wd trucks just fine in my younger days but as I got older I could afford a 4wd and they do come in handy a few times a year plus resale is a little better.

Depends where you live and the configuration of the truck. 20% off msrp is definitely not the norm outside the Boston area. You CAN get 20% off, but not all the time.

So you are not going to need or use 4wd except maybe once every few years (and probably then won't actually need it but it will be an assist) but it sounds like you want it for the image which many owners do buy it for. You are going to add years on to your loan to pay for something that isn't going to benefit you, it is a horrible financial decision. Put the money you will save towards retirement or your next vehicle purchase because the added financing costs, mpg hit, insurance costs, added maintenance, plus any possibly failure or replacement parts (ever seen the cost of a front axle or transfer case?) will add many of thousands of dollars over the life of the vehicle of added dollars you will be losing. On top of that you may get half of the upfront cost back in resale (basically spending $1 to get $0.50 back). Your call, is it 4wd that important to tell people you have a 4wd truck and that little badge/sticker than help long term your families finances?

Tyler

comparing numbers is so hard to do. Dealers hide all these items and discounts, some are taxable, others aren't. You gotta have a degree in accounting to figure it out.

I pulled out my spreadsheet and did some more figuring.

My truck MSRP: $46,445.00

Add in the bedliner, service fees, TAX, title, and subtract dealer discounts to get:

My actual cost (not including loan interest): $40,546.23

So I actually paid 87.3% of the MSRP.

If I look at the numbers without the tax added, the price of the truck was $37,962 or 81.7% of MSRP.

So I ask this: when you guys say you can get a vehicle for 20% off MSRP, I'm assuming you mean before tax, right? I only consider my out the door price, since I had to pay tax, that's part of the price.

Archived