Silverado Fuel Log

Kudos to you Swathdiver you made a great example. I will add to that with the Why... If your octane is not sufficient there can be engine knock. The ECU responds by removing engine performance till it stops knocking. The knocking does not have to be something you can hear for this to be happening.

I found on my 17, 6.2l that he best gas I could get was 91 and scanning while driving using HP Tuners there was still frequent knock just driving down the highway in AZ heat on stock tune. After a good tune no more knocking, mileage has gone up ~1mpg and low rpm torque pulls like a bear.

This all relates to tracking your mileage ...if you use lower octane over time, switch to higher octane for a bit. If you get better mileage there is some knock happening ...if no improvement then might as well run 87.

2 hours ago, Pearl2017 said:

This all relates to tracking your mileage ...if you use lower octane over time, switch to higher octane for a bit. If you get better mileage there is some knock happening ...if no improvement then might as well run 87.

Have always tracked mileage in everything driven for thirty plus years.  I've never seen no improvement in idle, running, cooling and mileage, in running higher octane.  93 octane has ALWAYS delivered higher MPGs compared with 87 and it made no difference in the auto being driven.  They all got more mpgs running 93 compared with 87.

I'm surprised more people don't use apps like Fuelly. Super quick, easy, loads of data on them, and they are free. Much easier to keep up with and sort through than a manual ledger

On 4/26/2018 at 12:59 PM, Hogtiming said:

I'm surprised more people don't use apps like Fuelly. Super quick, easy, loads of data on them, and they are free. Much easier to keep up with and sort through than a manual ledger

It's likely because they think all gasoline brands and octane ratings perform the same; gross ignorance on the subject.  They think in terms of price per gallon which is what the industry wants besides brand loyalty and not in terms of cost to drive per mile which shows which fuel is most efficient.  Another point rarely considered is the quality of the fuel and how that relates to keep the fuel system at its best and not being the cause of all the issues we see on these forum everyday.