Payload what the most you have had in your bed

Payload on my truck is 1200 lbs I'm sure I have hade that alone if not more on the hitch and did ok but what is the most weight has any one had in the bed and how did it sit  I have one form open about goeesnecks with a 1500 I will be under the GCWR but over the GVWR what are your thoughts and experiences with being over the GVWR 

• 3 weeks later...

Most I have had in the bed of my 2500HD is 3700 lbs. and the truck supported the load very well after I upgraded the tires and added SuperSprings. The payload is a factory calculation and it takes into account the weakest link in terms of the load a vehicle can manage safely. With a truck the weakest link is usually the tires. With my 2500HD the factory tires were rated at 3195 @80PSI and I replaced them with ones rated at 3750 @80PSI for an increase in payload capacity of 1110 lbs. at the rear wheels. The 2500 lacks the second leaf pack found with the 3500 models but it took only an hour to install a double leaf set of SuperSprings and add 2,000 lbs. of payload capacity.

With a 1500 class truck there are axle load ratings and a truck frame and brakes that may not be able to support more weight. Also the manufacturers all allow 150 lbs. for each passenger seat and that is why the "payload" rating is so much less for a crewcab as compared to a regular cab version of the  same truck.

I have LT tires and a add leaf now who knows what that would bump the GVWR up to if any but I guess I will never get the answer I'm looking for until I get everything hooked up I know I can safely tow it because I have done it with a bumper pull I was just wondering about the added weight to the truck I should have the trailer by late march I'll post pics and feedback then 

10 hours ago, carkhz316 said:

See, this is funny because it's always an answer like this,  but when someone bumps an old thread, everyone freaks out for doing so and tells whomever it is that posts to start a new thread. Repeat ad-nauseum for every message board

The link is provided to give OP some info to look at while waiting for members to actually answer his question, especially when off topic posters feel the need to chime in. Plus he might do a search of his own. There have been several recent good max weight/tow threads lately. I don't believe they turned up in my search. But it's a start. If you only wait for current active members to answer, you're probably going miss out on some helpful info from infrequent posters

Edited by txab
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2018 at 4:37 PM, Wintersun said:

Most I have had in the bed of my 2500HD is 3700 lbs. and the truck supported the load very well after I upgraded the tires and added SuperSprings. The payload is a factory calculation and it takes into account the weakest link in terms of the load a vehicle can manage safely. With a truck the weakest link is usually the tires. With my 2500HD the factory tires were rated at 3195 @80PSI and I replaced them with ones rated at 3750 @80PSI for an increase in payload capacity of 1110 lbs. at the rear wheels. The 2500 lacks the second leaf pack found with the 3500 models but it took only an hour to install a double leaf set of SuperSprings and add 2,000 lbs. of payload capacity.

With a 1500 class truck there are axle load ratings and a truck frame and brakes that may not be able to support more weight. Also the manufacturers all allow 150 lbs. for each passenger seat and that is why the "payload" rating is so much less for a crewcab as compared to a regular cab version of the  same truck.

Got to love those SuperSprings!   I am using the Sumo ones myself.  Great products!  Haven't had the need to put as much as you in the bed of mine.  I think the most I have put in mine is around 2500 lb via some oil drums.

Edited by Cowpie

2200# in my 1500, it was sketchy as all get out, wouldn't exceed the 1700# capacity by that much again ( it was a very short trip at least).. I now rent a trailer when I need to move that much weight...

13 hours ago, Wintersun said:

The Sumo Springs are warrantied for only 2 years. The SuperSprings will outlast the truck. The same company makes both products and their technical support people are excellent - give them a call in California.

Many things are warrantied for a year or two but end up lasting a lifetime.

One full 275 tote of sap (the precursor to maple syrup) about 2200 pounds.  In my 2008 1500. Had the factory 4th leaf spring and E range tires but it was still very interesting.  Id imagine a 2500 or even 3500 would handle the load much more effectively.  

• 2 weeks later...