GMC Sierra Elevation - 1 year owned as of today

Today I got an email from GMC about my 1 year anniversary from when I bought a brand new (first ever new car) beautiful blue 2017 GMC Sierra Elevation - Double Cab 5.3L - 6 speed truck.  Paid around $29k with taxes/fees included because I was at the right place at the right time.  I figured it was a good time to review how the year has been but be warned I have only racked up 5000 miles on the truck because I'm fortunate enough to work locally near my home, randomly drive my 69' C20 during the week and my wife's Honda Accord for most long trips.  Thank you to everyone on this forum for posting your issues, praises, frustrations and modifications.  It's a great forum to come and read up on all sorts of subjects especially at a time when getting answers from local dealers can be frustrating and time consuming.  Like most people I can't just go spend a couple of hours at a dealer only to possibly leave very frustrated and defeated.  Below are some random thoughts... 

In the beginning I had issues with the "chuggle/misfire" and only because of this forum was I able to get some resolve from the dealer.  It was a difficult problem to "reproduce" with a mechanic in the passengers seat but knowing other people had dealt with the same issue gave me confidence to force the dealer to do "something" about it.  Gas mileage is good but not great when mostly doing in-town (averaging 16MPG) driving.  If gas prices go up to $5+ I might consider moving onto something smaller.  My previous vehicle was a 2000 Tahoe and I still haven't quite gotten used to the larger truck when it comes to parking/moving around tight spots but it gets better as time passes.  I'm wondering if the rear backup camera is actually a bad thing because you don't learn to know your limits!   I feel a bit more comfortable with the cheaper "base" model of the Sierra with less technology and things that could go wrong after all of the stories I've read on here. 

My 1 year review of the GMC is "awesome."  I love the truck.  I love looking at it, I love driving it but I'm fortunate that I've avoided any major issues so far.  I've put 6 people in that truck comfortably with no issues.  I've driven it to far off places in complete comfort and confidence.  I've taken it camping with 6 fully packed coolers, gear, and 3 adult men with no issues.  Not having 4 wheel drive will probably always bother me but the locking rear differential makes me feel like I might have a chance of getting out of mud pit (the one time a year I might be in one!)  I certainly see "surface rust" randomly all over the underside truck and I don't drive anywhere near snow which is bit concerning.  I've added rear seat storage from Husky, rear wheel well liners from Husky, side step bars from Ionic, a DeeZee tailgate helper and a full bedliner from DualLiner.  All "do-it-yourself" at home stuff which was awesome.  Getting those items installed/purchased from the dealer would have been around $2000+!  Sorry for the rambling thoughts but I think that about covers it.  

Cheers,

Nor Cal Dude  

• Like 2

I have a 2015 Elevation just a little over 2 years. I have a few issues with the truck, but like you, I like the simplicity of it. My previous Silverado had options that the Wife didn't know how to use, and it was frustrating trying to train the monkey which button to press ( she does not read this forum:P), but the real reason for the change was an engine knock. I did get used to the back up camera, and did lose my judgement on backing just as you stated, so if I buy this one out (Lease), I will buy a remote camera to work with my Garmin GPS. The issues with the Elevation are the headlamps, absolutely useless, especially in the rain and driving backroads. The truck feels unstable, and handles like junk in the snow and I'm going to attribute that to the crap tires, as all other GM trucks I've owned we great. As it stands, I do plan on buying this one at the end of the Lease.

2015 GMC Sierra Elevation Edition.jpg

On 1/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, glendon66 said:

Today I got an email from GMC about my 1 year anniversary from when I bought a brand new (first ever new car) beautiful blue 2017 GMC Sierra Elevation - Double Cab 5.3L - 6 speed truck.  Paid around $29k with taxes/fees included because I was at the right place at the right time.  I figured it was a good time to review how the year has been but be warned I have only racked up 5000 miles on the truck because I'm fortunate enough to work locally near my home, randomly drive my 69' C20 during the week and my wife's Honda Accord for most long trips.  Thank you to everyone on this forum for posting your issues, praises, frustrations and modifications.  It's a great forum to come and read up on all sorts of subjects especially at a time when getting answers from local dealers can be frustrating and time consuming.  Like most people I can't just go spend a couple of hours at a dealer only to possibly leave very frustrated and defeated.  Below are some random thoughts... 

Glad you're enjoying it!  I'm only 4 months into mine.  Originally, I wanted the 2WD elevation myself, specifically the CC in dark slate metallic, with center console/bucket, man what a great looking vehicle that was.  I would have bought it on the spot, but the day I looked at them the dealer was acting weird, meaning, not really offering any substantial discounts on that trim package (the next month they did, but it was too late).  I'm very happy with my silver SLT, but when I see the elevations, I always notice them. I'm not really a chrome guy, so I'm phasing in more black trim pieces bit by bit on mine.  Best of luck! 

I have a white 2017 Sierra Elevation Edition. V8 5.3L 6spd 4x4 double cab.

I have absolutely loved this truck. I purchased this model specifically because I did not want the technology they are putting in all the nicer trims. The first thing to fail on all these new vehicles is going to be something electronic. 

Mods in order of when I got them:

Tonneau cover and bed mat added

2in front level

Plastidip chrome badges

Black Vinyl Overlays for GMC front and back

Rear wheel well liner to cover the white

Window vents

Added 15% extra tint to the front

Removed AirDam

Installed a wireless charger into the center console where we all put our phones already (one of my favorites for convenience)

Upgraded to 275/65/R20 BFG KO2's

Future Mods:

Front Runner bed rack (to add a rooftop tent)

Skid plates

rock sliders

Grill Light Bar

Rear dual Flood lights that will swivel

K&N Air intake

Cat Back Exhaust

OEM backup camera install

CVT Mt. Rainier Roof Top Tent with Annex

Programmable AUX swithes (factory replacement with factory work truck switches. Takes the two traction control and bed lamp switches and adds 4 more AUX switches)

Only issues with the truck so far are electrical (one of the reasons I wanted less electronics). Radio and Dash light flicker on and off, truck is in the shop now for it. Got a call writing this and they're saying it is my dash cam plugged into the USB port that is causing it. Picking it up today and will see. 

Other than that the truck has been absolutely fantastic. I don't want any other brand or model, mine is my ideal truck. Anyways, here is a picture of her right now. 

7Pfu7gs.jpg

Edited by Robert Sutton
Noted I added a window tint.

1 minute ago, Robert Sutton said:

I have absolutely loved this truck. I purchased this model specifically because I did not want the technology they are putting in all the nicer trims. The first thing to fail on all these new vehicles is going to be something electronic. 

2in front level

Plastidip chrome badges

Window vents

Removed AirDam

Installed a wireless charger into the center console where we all put our phones already (one of my favorites for convenience)

Future Mods:

Skid plates

rock sliders

Grill Light Bar

K&N Air intake

Cat Back Exhaust

Programmable AUX swithes (factory replacement with factory work truck switches. Takes the two traction control and bed lamp switches and adds 4 more AUX switches)

Only issues with the truck so far are electrical (one of the reasons I wanted less electronics). Radio and Dash light flicker on and off, truck is in the shop now for it. Got a call writing this and they're saying it is my dash cam plugged into the USB port that is causing it. Picking it up today and will see. 

Other than that the truck has been absolutely fantastic. I don't want any other brand or model, mine is my ideal truck. Anyways, here is a picture of her right now. 

7Pfu7gs.jpg

I will also add I have owned the truck for 10 months now. About 7,000 miles on it. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2018 at 4:19 PM, Robert Sutton said:

2in front level

Plastidip chrome badges

Window vents

Removed AirDam

Future Mods:

Skid plates

rock sliders

Grill Light Bar

K&N Air intake

Cat Back Exhaust

7Pfu7gs.jpg

Great looking truck. Couple quick questions:

1. do you think 275/65's will rub the stock suspension?

2. how bad did your mpg drop with bigger heavier tires?

thanks! I have been looking at TB's the past couple weeks and stumbled on one of these tonight and loved it!

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2018 at 1:19 PM, Robert Sutton said:

2in front level

Plastidip chrome badges

Window vents

Removed AirDam

Future Mods:

Skid plates

rock sliders

Grill Light Bar

K&N Air intake

Cat Back Exhaust

7Pfu7gs.jpg

I’m about to pick up those same exact tires as well and I also have a 2.5inch level kit in front. Do you have any issues rubbing with the 34inch tire??

Same with me Dec 29th is my 1 year they also sent me a letter. I’m very happy with GMC. 
One big thing that made me come back to a GMC- seat comfort. 
Had a 2009 Sierra that I loved so much and it was 6 months from being paid off - traded in for F150.(dumb move) I could never get comfortable in that truck and hated the eco boost engine. 

so I went back to GMC same package elevation 2018 black but over the year I have done mod after mod. 

best mod I did  to add even more comfort to the seats ? That seat booster on eBay- the best money spent  since no power drivers seat. 
here is how it sits today. 

only 5600 miles since last December- work close to home and some days work from home. 

FB7ECC9E-72FB-40EF-BFB1-81E515C8FF31.jpeg

Edited by Sean006
  • Like 1

Same with me Dec 29th is my 1 year they also sent me a letter. I’m very happy with GMC. 
One big thing that made me come back to a GMC- seat comfort. 
Had a 2009 Sierra that I loved so much and it was 6 months from being paid off - traded in for F150.(dumb move) I could never get comfortable in that truck and hated the eco boost engine. 

so I went back to GMC same package elevation 2018 black but over the year I have done mod after mod. 

best mod I did  to add even more comfort to the seats ? That seat booster on eBay- the best money spent  since no power drivers seat. 
here is how it sits today. 

only 5600 miles since last December- work close to home and some days work from home. 
FB7ECC9E-72FB-40EF-BFB1-81E515C8FF31.thumb.jpeg.020fb35d1f36f616e17be355978e85bc.jpeg

Keep an eye on those Ridge Grapplers, the siping starts to disappear around 15k miles, you’ll even notice them getting louder too. I had only 16k miles on mine, dumped them and put on KO2’s, at least these have siping running straight through the lugs.

New
46f3a38b023693cac6ce91dc2bc1b078.plist

Only 16k miles on them here, notice the siping started disappearing, got slippery fast and louder
b28a38ae5c5dc9789467e86854a7edcf.jpg

KO2’s siping runs all the way down
022e41deba2ea8f37565c97672bdfa69.jpg

Good luck and Happy New Year [emoji323][emoji324][emoji312]

Sent from Above