In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
d9avey

Switched from 265/65 to 275/70 and...

Mornin' friends!

I recently purchased a 2015 Silverado z71 and realized that the tires are too small/not aggressive enough.  I took off the 265/65/18 tires and threw on some BFG AT KO2 275/70/18 tires.

What's strange is that my average dropped from 18.8 to 13.7..........what!!!!!!??????!?!?!?!!!!!  No way does this happen with this small of a tire change, no?  Am I wrong?! 

Also, what should the PSI be?  It says max 80 but I put 40 in it.

Thanks much!

What are your driving habits? Were the tires you took off far less aggressive than the BFG's. I run 35 lbs in my 275/60/20's. While I am not sure of why the drop in MPG, it is very possible. I only get about 10 MPG on my 5.3 with my tires but I also have a supercharger and drive it like I stole it...lol.

On 1/12/2018 at 6:52 PM, MB2008LTZ said:

What are your driving habits? Were the tires you took off far less aggressive than the BFG's. I run 35 lbs in my 275/60/20's. While I am not sure of why the drop in MPG, it is very possible. I only get about 10 MPG on my 5.3 with my tires but I also have a supercharger and drive it like I stole it...lol.

Hahahah I drive pretty normal just to save every drop of gas that I can lmao!  I heard from BFG and they told me 50 psi for normal driving?!  I've noticed it a tad bit rougher in general but I don't care, I am getting better mpg!  Ha!

Well, you went from a tire that's mathematically 31.56 inches tall and 639 revolutions per mile to one 33.16 inches tall and 608 revolutions per mile.  40 psi is kinda soft are you saying that you now bumped the air up to 50 psi and noticed an improvement in mpg already?

Also running same size.  BFG 10 ply are very heavy.  You added 20lbs extra per tire.  I noticed a good 3mpg drop.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By NorEaster
      I was just curious as to whether people ran spacers after they did their lifts. I have read that you need a 1.5" spacer on the rear after adding a 4.5" lift to compensate for the front track width being wider.
    • By Budman Jones
      Planning on leveling my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with the MotoFab front 3" and rear 2" leveling kit.  Planning on fitting 33" inch tires on my truck after.

Trying to decide if I want 18" wheel rims or 20" wheel rims.. so if you could post pics of your trucks that would be great. Thanks!
    • By Budman Jones
      Planning on leveling my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE with the 3” front 2” rear MOTOFAB leveling kit. Currently have stock wheels/tires on it which are 255/70R17. Thinking about jumping up to 18” wheels instead but wanted to know how much of a difference the 17” to 18” jump would make in appearance. 

I was able to find plenty of pictures with 18” wheels but are there any photos out there of leveled /lifted trucks with 17” rims? 
    • By Michael Alexis
      I understand there are lots of tire threads on here as I have been through most of them on this forum, I am simply looking for anybody who might be running 285/65/18 Cooper Discoverer XLT's on a non leveled completely stock 14-18 Silverado? 
      The tire size is only slightly bigger than what would be on the 285/45/22 option Chevy offers in these years so I am just looking to see if there is anyone out there who can confirm this setup would work. 

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

• By GMC19Sierra
      Looking to upgrade the stock wheels and tires on my '19 Sierra 1500 (extended cab, 4WD).  I can get away with just blocks if I go with 33" tires, but need a lift if I go to the 35" tires.  I don't want rubbing...but also don't want to get too aggressive on the lift.  It is suggested that I go with a 6" lift.  I don't do any offloading and I'm not trying to "act" like I do.  I just love the look of the bigger whee/tire on this truck.  Looking for suggestions from those who went with the 33" tire vs the 35" tire and what size lift you used (if you went with the 35" tire).  

Just throwing this out there so I can get some feedback from those who have already "figured it out."
      Thanks all!