failed lifters 2015 6.2 - JUNK motor

Well....I'm pretty much done for the time being w/ GM...at least when it comes to their gas engines and/or anything w/ AFM, & pretty much done w/ their 1/2 tons in general or any SUV related to them.

I have been a die hard GM guy, I've defended them even when I shouldn't & they keep letting me down. This is my 3rd 2014+ GM truck - all had issues. I attached pics of the RO - a near $60k vehicle w/ 46k miles on the clock & the engine nearly blows? If I didn't take it in & took it up to VT like I had planned to do it would have left me stranded AGAIN (first time was a failed starter coming back from a vacation 100s of miles from my home - oh, and that was w/ less than 40k on the clock!!), this is after I've already had it in for a leaking 3rd brake light that stained the headliner....and yeah, it shakes too, just not as bad as the previous 2.

A whole bank of lifters gone bad? Why wouldn't they replace the other side??!! Not like they're not going to fail either. The tech even notes "had difficulty removing fuel rail cover due to corrosion" - & replaced 2 injectors too!!!! WTF!?!??! I have 2 years & 3 months left on the note, planned on keeping it another couple years payment free - how on earth could I bank on that w/ this stuff happening @ 46k?? 

I mean its astonishing really - these things are piles of junk....I mean I KNOW there are issues w/ the torque converter, yoke & pinion, & the tranny as well - just not as bad as some other examples out there, I'm just lucky as hell I have a '15 w/ the 100k powertrain warranty vs. '16+....Genius move on GM's part though reducing it to 36k, basically they're selling everyone trucks w/ a 50-50 chance they'll get 'em on the hook for new crate motors & trannies @ the 50k mark :D

I joke...but really its just sad...and I don't wanna hear from all the diehard fan boys "it's just 1 example, all you hear on forums is complaints, every make has issues" blah blah - cuz guess what? I WAS IN THAT GROUP OF DEFENDERS!!!! I have a flawless trouble free '03 Z06 in my garage which I love. I've owned a G8 GT, Grand prix, &  between me & my father 8 GM trucks....4 of which have been the '14+ model & they have ALL been crap.

So unless you have owned 2x2014's & 2x2015's don't even bother commenting on this defending GM & saying its an isolated incident,.

Cheers.

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

Well....I'm pretty much done for the time being w/ GM...at least when it comes to their gas engines and/or anything w/ AFM, & pretty much done w/ their 1/2 tons in general or any SUV related to them.

I have been a die hard GM guy, I've defended them even when I shouldn't & they keep letting me down. This is my 3rd 2014+ GM truck - all had issues. I attached pics of the RO - a near $60k vehicle w/ 46k miles on the clock & the engine nearly blows? If I didn't take it in & took it up to VT like I had planned to do it would have left me stranded AGAIN (first time was a failed starter coming back from a vacation 100s of miles from my home - oh, and that was w/ less than 40k on the clock!!), this is after I've already had it in for a leaking 3rd brake light that stained the headliner....and yeah, it shakes too, just not as bad as the previous 2.

A whole bank of lifters gone bad? Why wouldn't they replace the other side??!! Not like they're not going to fail either. The tech even notes "had difficulty removing fuel rail cover due to corrosion" - & replaced 2 injectors too!!!! WTF!?!??! I have 2 years & 3 months left on the note, planned on keeping it another couple years payment free - how on earth could I bank on that w/ this stuff happening @ 46k?? 

I mean its astonishing really - these things are piles of junk....I mean I KNOW there are issues w/ the torque converter, yoke & pinion, & the tranny as well - just not as bad as some other examples out there, I'm just lucky as hell I have a '15 w/ the 100k powertrain warranty vs. '16+....Genius move on GM's part though reducing it to 36k, basically they're selling everyone trucks w/ a 50-50 chance they'll get 'em on the hook for new crate motors & trannies @ the 50k mark :D

I joke...but really its just sad...and I don't wanna hear from all the diehard fan boys "it's just 1 example, all you hear on forums is complaints, every make has issues" blah blah - cuz guess what? I WAS IN THAT GROUP OF DEFENDERS!!!! I have a flawless trouble free '03 Z06 in my garage which I love. I've owned a G8 GT, Grand prix, &  between me & my father 8 GM trucks....4 of which have been the '14+ model & they have ALL been crap.

So unless you have owned 2x2014's & 2x2015's don't even bother commenting on this defending GM & saying its an isolated incident,.

Cheers.

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

Sucks Bro!  If you know me I would be all over the ecoboost!

I was in the same boat you are in now.  I had a 2014 LTZ that was in the shop constantly.  I traded it in 2 years ago for a brand new 2016 Tundra.  The Tundra now has 26k miles on it and has been trouble free, never been in for warranty work, just oil changes.  The transmission shifts fantastic, the 5.7L is superb, and best of all, I don’t spend time at the dealer switching out the truck for loaner cars.  I wish the best for you.

• Like 1

I don't care what you spend your hard earned money on today ,THERE ALL JUNK.. In 5 years there trash hell they only cost 45K . Twice as much as I paid for my first 2 family house. All TRASH, and we keep buying..... who's the idiots 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, badge171 said:

I don't care what you spend your hard earned money on today ,THERE ALL JUNK.. In 5 years there trash hell they only cost 45K . Twice as much as I paid for my first 2 family house. All TRASH, and we keep buying..... who's the idiots 

Well we have to drive something. I’d prefer a truck over horse and buggy. 

50 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

Lifter failure on an AFM cylinder isn't a "engine nearly blows" scenario.  Might seem like it, but its not really.  And no, I'm not standing up for them as we have had about 12 K2 trucks in for lifter failure.  The majority of them have had no issue that come to our place however, and we have plenty that come in over 100k miles that have never been torn apart.   

GM has a bulletin where if one cylinder on one bank fails, replace all the lifters on that bank and to replace the VLOM.  Procedure if there is an AFM lifter failure.  Replacing all of them however is not in that procedure. 

Powertrain is 5yr/60k not 36k.

Cheers.

In all seriousness, I think, and GM has mentioned in the past, that its an oil aeration issue somewhere in that system.  Its either in the VLOM or the lifters themselves.  0w20 I don't think is helping that issue, and I say that because the 4.3 V6 and the LT1/LT4 applications still call for 5w30.  I do recall someone here explaining that 5w20 has better sheer stability(?)

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, newdude said:

In all seriousness, I think, and GM has mentioned in the past, that its an oil aeration issue somewhere in that system.  Its either in the VLOM or the lifters themselves.  0w20 I don't think is helping that issue, and I say that because the 4.3 V6 and the LT1/LT4 applications still call for 5w30.  I do recall someone here explaining that 5w20 has better sheer stability(?)

I really have no idea why you seem to be defending this crap. I've owned a G8 GT that had this AFM crap too - had to end up swapping it out for a DOD delete kit (baby cam) because the lifter tick kept getting worse....also the 6L80E tranny in that had all kinds of issues, a "harsh/flare shift TSB" along w/ a mechanical issue they ended up figuring out later in the product life cycle, something w/ the 2-3 ring seals installed backwards requiring a new tranny clutch cover kit & a whole other TSB on that one.

These motors are great once you yank the AFM hardware out & tune the ECM/TCM to behave like a NORMAL V8 truck. Of course that voids the warranty, which is ironic because if you start experiencing these drivetrain issues and DONT do this it WILL end up in mechanical issues/failure.

Also - not sure why in the world you think the engine wouldn't get destroyed if you just drive around w/ stuck/failing lifters - inevitably they will break, drop & damage the corresponding lobe of the camshaft...keep driving after that wipe out the rest of the cam, & if its still driving after that....well then you WILL BLOW it up, by all accounts if the lobes are damaged enough its an engine swap anyhow on GM's dime.

18 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

I really have no idea why you seem to be defending this crap. I've owned a G8 GT that had this AFM crap too - had to end up swapping it out for a DOD delete kit (baby cam) because the lifter tick kept getting worse....also the 6L80E tranny in that had all kinds of issues, a "harsh/flare shift TSB" along w/ a mechanical issue they ended up figuring out later in the product life cycle, something w/ the 2-3 ring seals installed backwards requiring a new tranny clutch cover kit & a whole other TSB on that one.

These motors are great once you yank the AFM hardware out & tune the ECM/TCM to behave like a NORMAL V8 truck. Of course that voids the warranty, which is ironic because if you start experiencing these drivetrain issues and DONT do this it WILL end up in mechanical issues/failure.

Also - not sure why in the world you think the engine wouldn't get destroyed if you just drive around w/ stuck/failing lifters - inevitably they will break, drop & damage the corresponding lobe of the camshaft...keep driving after that wipe out the rest of the cam, & if its still driving after that....well then you WILL BLOW it up, by all accounts if the lobes are damaged enough its an engine swap anyhow on GM's dime.

I'm not defending it.  All I did was mention that GM may have possibly acknowledged a cause on the Ecotec3 for having AFM issues.

Lots of us remember driving trucks that were built to last (1998 and older) with simple, mechanical or moderately electronic drivetrains, little to no driver aids or fancy useless frills, big thick C-channel steel frames, thick body metal that didn't dent overly easy or rot right through in two years. It is all about the money guys, like everything in this crazy world. Why make a truck that lasts for 15 years when people will buy trucks that only last 8 years for even more money? If you make a quality product, then you lose out on parts and service, and the customer will not return for years longer. It is all a big scam by vehicle manufactures and government entities in order to maximize profits. Where our 98's had 4 miles of wiring and 15 sensors, the new ones have 35 miles of microscopic wires and 100 sensors. It is apparent that reliability will be lost. I experience the same issue with my Class 8 trucks, the old ones keep chugging on down the road making me money, the new ones are broke down in the shop for CEL, DEF and sensor issues... That way, Kenworth makes more money, Cummins makes more money, the Government makes more money, but I (the little fish) lose more money. Now they have inflated pricing on pick ups to $100k usd and as long as people pay it, the price will go up as quality simultaneously goes down.

I agree, these trucks are not as good as the last generation and AFM is a huge issue, it caused my 2014's transmission to mis-shift and lock into 2nd or 3rd gear every time I coasted from highway speed to city speed zones. GM couldn't figure it out and replaced the TEHCM twice before I figured it out myself. Deleted AFM via tuner, no issues with shifts. AFM would go crazy and fluctuate the engine rpm's, then the trans thought "hey, maybe slamming into 2nd and screeching the tires is a good idea right now." My 2015 has been great though but it only has 27,000km on it so far. Everything is about the $. Don't think buying a Dodge or Ford will change reality of modern vehicles, because they all suck compared to what some of us are used to. 

Too much technology on these tricks nowadays.That is what happens and yeah it sucks I have been there too.Good luck with your next purchase but every truck forum no matter what make all has their problems.I have had Ford,Chevy and Dodge and none of them have been perfect but maybe you will have better luck.

4 trucks out of how 2+ million sold since 2014 plus the SUV's and cars that use them? Yeah, sounds like you have a solid basis for ground calling them Junk so I will gladly comment defending them saying it is an isolated incident... Could be bad luck, could be defective parts, could be poor design or could be user error. Sucks you had these problems, they aren't normal I can assure you (and as you probably know just are a little too heated to admit). Best of luck on your next vehicle what ever it maybe.

AFM causing your transmission issues? :rolleyes: Everyone wants to blame AFM yet the number of failures and issues is quite low and much lower then the first gens.

Tyler

• Like 3

• 2 months later...