failed lifters 2015 6.2 - JUNK motor

I feel your pain, I just bought a 2018 GMC Sierra with the 6.2, my truck history is as follows: 1991 Ford Ranger bought new (leaking oil pan, tachometer quit working, started having electrical problems, less than 30K miles when I traded it), 1994 Toyota pickup with 4 banger, no issues, traded it with around 24K miles, 1996 Silverado 1500 5.0 bought with 24K miles on it (leaking rear axle seal around 55K) traded it with less than 60K miles, 1999 GMC Sierra bought new (at 12K miles failed cam roller bearing replaced under warranty) had almost 300K hard miles on it when it gave up the ghost), 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 bought new, air conditioner never got super cold but never any major mechanical issues, got rid of it at 200K miles, 2006 Toyota Tundra with 4.8L bought new , still being driven with over 200K miles on it,  2007 Toyota Tundra with 5.7 bought used with 20K miles, no major mechanical problems with over 200K miles on it. 2010 Toyota Tundra with 5.7 bought new, no major mechanical problems, got totaled recently with 175K miles on it. 2014 Ram 1500 with 5.7 bought new (MDS lifters and cam replaced at 75K miles, fuel pump replaced at 105K miles), still in service at 120K miles.  Toyota has been the most reliable trouble free trucks but the interiors aren't as nice as the GMC's and RAM. I'm not a fan of the AFM (Ram MDS) especially after the lifer failure on my RAM at 75K, but half the guys at work drive GMC and the other half drive RAM and we haven't had any lifter failures on the GMC's yet (one blown engine on a Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 at 95K, but the guy who drives it changes the oil every 12K and drives 90mph everywhere so I think that was a factor), most of the RAMs have had lifter issues so I figured I'd give GMC another try. Can't bring myself to pay the extra premium for a Ford, my SLT that had all the same features as a Lariat was $10K less than the Lariat and $3K less than an XLT that seemed like a strip down model compared to the Sierra SLT.

My co-worker's 2014 Sierra 6.2 had 143,XXX miles on it when he traded it in for a 2018 Sierra 6.2 (I have one myself based on how his old truck ran/ new one runs). The only thing that ever needed repair was the drivers electric door lock and that was done under warrantee.  I know he never did a tune or anything weird (as in a mod of any sort) to his 2014. He did tell me that unless he was driving on the highway, he would use M5 (M7 now) all the time and it would stay in V8 mode. I am taking that advise and use M7 (since I have the 8 speed) unless highway cruising. My truck does have Borla's ATAK cat-back and I am waiting for my RXP oil catch can. I know the 50-50 split on peoples thoughts of catch cans but that's a whole other discussion. I had a 2008 Avalanche LTZ with the 5.3 and AFM. Bone stock and sold it with 186,XXX miles to a friend (he's still my friend too lol) and it has never had a problem ENGINE related, the air compressor for the LTZ leveling feature did stop working about 2 days after I sold it to him but he never got that fixed and still tows his 21 foot boat. I guess I am saying that not every single one of these GM products fail, sure some do and will continue to fail...just hope mine isn't one of them. FWIW, my 2015 Honda Civic (known for reliability) broke a motor mount at 22,XXX and the A/C went out on the way home from getting that fixed.

Edited by SS502
added the P to RXP

Gee whiz, another problem GM motor, like the other brands don't  have problems also.

I feel for the owners of problem vehicles but the fact remains they all build a bad one now and then.

If there were posts from the owners of non problem vehicles this site would be many times it's size.

I also believe the way a vehicle is used and maintained is a huge factor that needs to be included in the equation but is hard to track.

I guess I'm luckier than the buyers of new vehicles because I've never had any major problems with my used vehicles all my life.

:)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SS502 said:

My co-worker's 2014 Sierra 6.2 had 143,XXX miles on it when he traded it in for a 2018 Sierra 6.2 (I have one myself based on how his old truck ran/ new one runs). The only thing that ever needed repair was the drivers electric door lock and that was done under warrantee.  I know he never did a tune or anything weird (as in a mod of any sort) to his 2014. He did tell me that unless he was driving on the highway, he would use M5 (M7 now) all the time and it would stay in V8 mode. I am taking that advise and use M7 (since I have the 8 speed) unless highway cruising. My truck does have Borla's ATAK cat-back and I am waiting for my RX oil catch can. I know the 50-50 split on peoples thoughts of catch cans but that's a whole other discussion. I had a 2008 Avalanche LTZ with the 5.3 and AFM. Bone stock and sold it with 198,XXX miles to a friend (he's still my friend too lol) and it has never had a problem ENGINE related, the air compressor for the LTZ leveling feature did stop working about 2 days after I sold it to him but he never got that fixed and still tows his 21 foot boat. I guess I am saying that not every single one of these GM products fail, sure some do and will continue to fail...just hope mine isn't one of them. FWIW, my 2015 Honda Civic (known for reliability) broke a motor mount at 22,XXX and the A/C went out on the way home from getting that fixed.

Did he run a catch can or not? Motor was fine without a can?

17 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

Did he run a catch can or not? Motor was fine without a can?

No Sir he did not. He had not even heard of a catch can. I can’t say his valves were good, bad or in between. I am going to install one based on what I’ve come to believe about their function. He doesn’t have one on his new truck either BUT has told me if I show him in person what it catches he will consider buying one. I’m not going to change anyone’s mind on the catch can and I’m not trying too. I’m just doing what I feel is best for my investment. Even if it’s all just a placebo effect, I will feel better and really that’s what matters! Oh and to answer the second part of your question, no Sir he never had any engine problems.

Edited by SS502
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2018 at 8:01 PM, draperfish said:

I feel your pain, I just bought a 2018 GMC Sierra with the 6.2, my truck history is as follows: 1991 Ford Ranger bought new (leaking oil pan, tachometer quit working, started having electrical problems, less than 30K miles when I traded it), 1994 Toyota pickup with 4 banger, no issues, traded it with around 24K miles, 1996 Silverado 1500 5.0 bought with 24K miles on it (leaking rear axle seal around 55K) traded it with less than 60K miles, 1999 GMC Sierra bought new (at 12K miles failed cam roller bearing replaced under warranty) had almost 300K hard miles on it when it gave up the ghost), 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 bought new, air conditioner never got super cold but never any major mechanical issues, got rid of it at 200K miles, 2006 Toyota Tundra with 4.8L bought new , still being driven with over 200K miles on it,  2007 Toyota Tundra with 5.7 bought used with 20K miles, no major mechanical problems with over 200K miles on it. 2010 Toyota Tundra with 5.7 bought new, no major mechanical problems, got totaled recently with 175K miles on it. 2014 Ram 1500 with 5.7 bought new (MDS lifters and cam replaced at 75K miles, fuel pump replaced at 105K miles), still in service at 120K miles.  Toyota has been the most reliable trouble free trucks but the interiors aren't as nice as the GMC's and RAM. I'm not a fan of the AFM (Ram MDS) especially after the lifer failure on my RAM at 75K, but half the guys at work drive GMC and the other half drive RAM and we haven't had any lifter failures on the GMC's yet (one blown engine on a Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 at 95K, but the guy who drives it changes the oil every 12K and drives 90mph everywhere so I think that was a factor), most of the RAMs have had lifter issues so I figured I'd give GMC another try. Can't bring myself to pay the extra premium for a Ford, my SLT that had all the same features as a Lariat was $10K less than the Lariat and $3K less than an XLT that seemed like a strip down model compared to the Sierra SLT.

It is funny how people have different luck. The 3 worst vehicles i have ever owned was a 88 toyota pickup 22r engine that had a bunch of problems and went through radiators like oil. A 1998 honda civic that had air bag light come on at 37000 miles, the tranny go at 50000 miles plus in the cold the temp would go to cold changed thermostat and radiator still no heat in the cold when idling and the 02 sensor would throw a code all the time even when replaced twice. And these are probably according to most some of the most reliable cars on the road. I also had a 2013 subaru impreza at 32000 miles was turning into a pos with loud engine noise and a horrible ride so i traded in that piece. I also take care of all my vehicles. And these are probably according to most some of the most reliable cars on the road.

Every chevy i have owned has been great plus my 2016 ford escape is my favorite everyday vehicle i have ever owned. My friend had a 2009 silverado with AFM with 200000 miles that he just traded in and is still on the road racking up miles. SO it can be hit or miss on all vehicles.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Gagliano7 said:

It is funny how people have different luck. The 3 worst vehicles i have ever owned was a 88 toyota pickup 22r engine that had a bunch of problems and went through radiators like oil. A 1998 honda civic that had air bag light come on at 37000 miles, the tranny go at 50000 miles plus in the cold the temp would go to cold changed thermostat and radiator still no heat in the cold when idling and the 02 sensor would throw a code all the time even when replaced twice. And these are probably according to most some of the most reliable cars on the road. I also had a 2013 subaru impreza at 32000 miles was turning into a pos with loud engine noise and a horrible ride so i traded in that piece. I also take care of all my vehicles. And these are probably according to most some of the most reliable cars on the road.

Every chevy i have owned has been great plus my 2016 ford escape is my favorite everyday vehicle i have ever owned. My friend had a 2009 silverado with AFM with 200000 miles that he just traded in and is still on the road racking up miles. SO it can be hit or miss on all vehicles.

Truth.

I had a 2012 Civic Si that needed the engine rebuilt after 13000 miles for burning a quart of oil every 700 miles, same car had a bunch of the black interior pieces replaced because they were fading to white. Never miss shifted or over revved it. Worked great afterwords until sold at 60k miles. 2015 Subaru WRX bone stock had issues going into 1st and reverse, burned oil, sometimes took 4-5 tries to start, engine knock would retard timing badly and it would heat soak in the summer pulling all power when trying to accelerate from a stop. Car was bone stock purchased new and I got rid of it with less than 10k miles because Subaru couldn't find anything wrong.

• 3 months later...

Yeah ok thanks to all the guys that have been thru all these problems  due to the AFM. I BOUGHT MY FIRST NEWER TRUCK LAST YEAR 2015 Chevy Silverado  5.3 4x4. And as soon as I made it final on the truck that it didn't seem right the way it drove. The God damn AFM literally  is going in and out of 4 cylinders , doesnt matter what speed I'm going.  And then  when I get back on the gas, it's like the transmission  doesnt know what gear it wants to go in. And either shift way down or way high.  And when its going in and out of 4 cylinders it drives very laggy! Its seriously Its driving me absolutely  crazy. Truck only has 46000miles on it. And think God I read this stuff cause I went to a mechanic  that wasn't a Chevy dealer  because  first time I took to Chevy told them to look and check it out the afm.  They wouldn't drive it or acknowledge  what i told them that there was a problem.  So thank God it's under warranty. Cause mechanic I talked to said he's done 100s of lifters on these shitty chevys with afm

Edited by David Schneider

1 hour ago, David Schneider said:

Yeah ok thanks to all the guys that have been thru all these problems  due to the AFM. I BOUGHT MY FIRST NEWER TRUCK LAST YEAR 2015 Chevy Silverado  5.7 4x4. And as soon as I made it final on the truck that it didn't seem right the way it drove. The God damn AFM literally  is going in and out of 4 cylinders , doesnt matter what speed I'm going.  And then  when I get back on the gas, it's like the transmission  doesnt know what gear it wants to go in. And either shift way down or way high.  And when its going in and out of 4 cylinders it drives very laggy! Its seriously Its driving me absolutely  crazy. Truck only has 46000miles on it. And think God I read this stuff cause I went to a mechanic  that wasn't a Chevy dealer  because  first time I took to Chevy told them to look and check it out the afm.  They wouldn't drive it or acknowledge  what i told them that there was a problem.  So thank God it's under warranty. Cause mechanic I talked to said he's done 100s of lifters on these shitty chevys with afm

Your truck doesn't have a 5.7L motor.

• Confused 1

I just read this entire thread and a lot of it hits home with me. My 2014 6.2L had been in the shop way more than it should for a truck with 80k on it. I just looked in the folder i keep all my receipts in and the truck has been to the dealer 20 times in 80k miles for warranty work and recalls. That averages out to once every 4000 miles, that's way too much. I never experienced any lifter failures but i did have a busted valve spring on #7 when i hit like 30k on the motor. It was fixed and has never happened again. Like the original poster I also had a leaky roof from the 3rd brake light gasket, a failed starter that almost caught fire, my "infotainment" system has been plagues by crashes and lockups, and mine has been a shakerado since day 1. That shake has gotten worse with age, a lot worse. Given what one of these trucks costs i simply expect the truck to be better than this. Mine is a fully loaded LTZ that i had to order since i wanted a 6.2l with the 3.73 gears and that meant i needed to get a max tow. Those were basically unicorns in 2014 so i had no choice but to order it and wait. When i ordered mine there was not a single one on a dealer lot in the country and none being built in the pipeline. Needless to say i waited a loooong time for GM to get around to building my truck. Given all the problems I have had with it i would say its an understatement to say I'm disappointed and have been for a while. My 2006 Silverado was the best vehicle i have ever owned and i wish i never got rid of it, even with 200k on the clock it was more reliable than my 2014 has been. I wanted to drive this truck for 10 years when i ordered it, its not going to make 5......

All that said tomorrow will be the last day of my ownership for my 2014 Silverado. I am trading it in on a new truck, and while i feel a little bittersweet and a little nervous it wont be another GM. I really wanted to like 2019, i really did but when i drive one it reminded me of every reason i want out of my 2014 and given the 65k+ price tag on a truck equipped like the one i already own that was not happening. I don't want another shakerado, i don't want another truck with a transmission that cant make up its mind as to what gear it needs to be in, etc.... I ended up in another brand and i pick it up tomorrow, wish me luck....

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 11:49 AM, crushNchowda said:

Well....I'm pretty much done for the time being w/ GM...at least when it comes to their gas engines and/or anything w/ AFM, & pretty much done w/ their 1/2 tons in general or any SUV related to them.

I have been a die hard GM guy, I've defended them even when I shouldn't & they keep letting me down. This is my 3rd 2014+ GM truck - all had issues. I attached pics of the RO - a near $60k vehicle w/ 46k miles on the clock & the engine nearly blows? If I didn't take it in & took it up to VT like I had planned to do it would have left me stranded AGAIN (first time was a failed starter coming back from a vacation 100s of miles from my home - oh, and that was w/ less than 40k on the clock!!), this is after I've already had it in for a leaking 3rd brake light that stained the headliner....and yeah, it shakes too, just not as bad as the previous 2.

A whole bank of lifters gone bad? Why wouldn't they replace the other side??!! Not like they're not going to fail either. The tech even notes "had difficulty removing fuel rail cover due to corrosion" - & replaced 2 injectors too!!!! WTF!?!??! I have 2 years & 3 months left on the note, planned on keeping it another couple years payment free - how on earth could I bank on that w/ this stuff happening @ 46k?? 

I mean its astonishing really - these things are piles of junk....I mean I KNOW there are issues w/ the torque converter, yoke & pinion, & the tranny as well - just not as bad as some other examples out there, I'm just lucky as hell I have a '15 w/ the 100k powertrain warranty vs. '16+....Genius move on GM's part though reducing it to 36k, basically they're selling everyone trucks w/ a 50-50 chance they'll get 'em on the hook for new crate motors & trannies @ the 50k mark :D

I joke...but really its just sad...and I don't wanna hear from all the diehard fan boys "it's just 1 example, all you hear on forums is complaints, every make has issues" blah blah - cuz guess what? I WAS IN THAT GROUP OF DEFENDERS!!!! I have a flawless trouble free '03 Z06 in my garage which I love. I've owned a G8 GT, Grand prix, &  between me & my father 8 GM trucks....4 of which have been the '14+ model & they have ALL been crap.

So unless you have owned 2x2014's & 2x2015's don't even bother commenting on this defending GM & saying its an isolated incident,.

Cheers.

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

Does not help your situation, but it was a broken push rod on cylinder #4 that took out the 6.2 in my 2016 at 23000 miles. 

7 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Does not help your situation, but it was a broken push rod on cylinder #4 that took out the 6.2 in my 2016 at 23000 miles. 

Driving an '18 Ford Raptor now....lost my GMC to a deer - not a trade, but when ins. totaled my Sierra I decided after GM getting my $$$ for my last 4 trucks - 2 of which had a number of issues - I decided I should open up my options a little bit. 900 miles on the Raptor now & am happy thus far. All manufacturers will have their issues, just started to seem like I was expecting the stereotypical stuff to just fail on the new GM trucks & like magic just kept happening - lifters, injectors, fuel rail, 3rd brake light, starter, NAV/infotainment, tranny, wheel bearings, torque converter seat, shakes, etc. etc. etc.

I was all set w/ potentially getting a "new" '18 waiting for all the old gremlins to reappear or crossing my fingers that a complete redesign 2019 was going to be that much better? All set. Let someone else be GM's guinea pig.

Smart biz move by them - my guess is w/ the shoddy quality, Mexican builds, lack of innovation, etc. on the '14-'18 Trucks, plus avoiding warranty claims, reducing the warranty duration mid-cycle, & charging big $$$$ for all of em they probably padded the wallet fairly well.....@ least I hope so after the bailout & then laying thousands upon thousands of people off to boot.

First full size Ford, maybe not my last - will see how it holds up. The bar has not been left very high by my past GM trucks sad to say.