In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Cook

U0101/TCM 2014 Silverado 1500

this morning when I went to drive my truck I got a service stabilitrak notice, followed by a clunk, check engine light, and the dash not knowing what gear I was in. I scanned the code, which was U0101 lost communication with TCM.

I spent some time researching but can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. The truck is a 2014 Silverado 1500 RCSB 4WD 5.3/6L80e. To my knowledge the TCM is now inside the transmission, but not 100% sure. Only 38k miles so I'm unsure what/why/how this happened. Everything has been fine until this morning.

Hoping to get some info here before towing to the dealership.

Yes, the 6L80E is inside of the transmission. If it is under warranty and it should be since the 2014 trucks are 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty then I would take it to the dealer for help.

Did you ever get any answers? A few weeks ago my truck (14 CCSB 5.3 Silverado) threw "Transmission Hot Idle Engine" and went into limp mode. Since then I've had the truck to the dealer twice, since it's still under the powertrain warranty, and they "cannot recreate the problem" or get the truck to throw any codes. They also can't get the trans fluid temp over 225. Well within a day or two of picking the truck up from the dealer, two weeks in a row, I've got the trans fluid to 243 and 261. Today it started shifting hard and the check engine light came on, it was U0101. Had Autozone print the code sheet so I can get it to the dealer tomorrow.

On 1/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, TJay74 said:

Yes, the 6L80E is inside of the transmission. If it is under warranty and it should be since the 2014 trucks are 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty then I would take it to the dealer for help.

My truck is stuck in 4x4 for the third time and the dealer just did global resets it worked and then they said not to shut my truck off while I’m 4x4 so I didn’t. But a few weeks ago I turned it on and boom stuck in 4x4 again with service 4x4 display. The dealer is now saying it’s the tcm and that it isn’t covered under warranty ? Sorry I can’t afford $1000 them they say something about a purge switch and they’d fix that for $450 I said no thanks it doesn’t seem like you guys are sure on what it is. Boom they say ok you owe us $109 for diagnosing. I’m confused if they aren’t sure what it is then how do I owe them for a diagnosis. I need help please 

On 1/13/2018 at 1:48 PM, Cook said:

this morning when I went to drive my truck I got a service stabilitrak notice, followed by a clunk, check engine light, and the dash not knowing what gear I was in. I scanned the code, which was U0101 lost communication with TCM.

I spent some time researching but can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. The truck is a 2014 Silverado 1500 RCSB 4WD 5.3/6L80e. To my knowledge the TCM is now inside the transmission, but not 100% sure. Only 38k miles so I'm unsure what/why/how this happened. Everything has been fine until this morning.

Hoping to get some info here before towing to the dealership.

Any issues with the 4x4 yet?

where is the tcm location. mine gets stuck in low just had a brand new tranny installed at dealer and the refused to put it under warranty. 2014 silverado 1500 4x4