Should i be nervous buying a GMC Sierra from Ontario?

Guys,

I am looking for some advice. I have found a place that has some really reasonable deals on GMC trucks. I am currently in the market for a 2014-2015 gmc sierra SLE or SLT all terrain package. I found one for the price I am looking for, but here's the catch. The vehicle originated in Canada and was bought at an auction. 46k miles on the truck and it looks great. Should i be concerned with corrosion and the underside rusting due to where it originated? What would you all do? Is it possible it's already damaged?

Thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody already did it and was posting last month they were having problems with GM getting warranty work. Has a Canada GM warranty......dont know IF they guy got it settled or how long of a delay he had before he could get warranty work.

Related image

Look at the gauges. If it was originally sold in canada, instrument cluster gauges will be different, oil pressure in kpa, temp in C, fuel gauge has symbols instead of F and E.

5 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

Related image

Look at the gauges. If it was originally sold in canada, instrument cluster gauges will be different, speed in kmh, temp in C, etc.

No, it is a simple DIC control to switch back and forth between KPH and MPH.

6 minutes ago, Donstar said:

No, it is a simple DIC control to switch back and forth between KPH and MPH.

For the digital display yes. The analog gauges are different! Oil pressure in kpa, temp in C, fuel gauge has symbols instead of F and E. Speedometer in USA trucks tops out at 140 mph. 

30 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

Related image

Look at the gauges. If it was originally sold in canada, instrument cluster gauges will be different, oil pressure in kpa, temp in C, fuel gauge has symbols instead of F and E.

I just checked and the gauge cluster and it does not look like that. It has the carbon fiber look and says all terrain. According to VIN was made in Indiana 

Nice! Ive seen some Canadian trucks for sale here and the ones manufactured and sold in Canada have the different gauge cluster. As others have stated, check underneath, wheel wells for rust. Minor surface rust is easy to respray with fluid film where the frame wax coating has come off.

I bought my 14 High Country used from a local dealer that buys from auctions. Found the original window sticker in the glove box, and it was from Canada. I test drove it a couple times and did the usual look around/underneath. I have no regrets on buying and have had zero issues. Plus it was priced WAY below any nada/bluebook. 

I live in Ontario and many trade-ins head south due the exchange rate.  As stated before, our winters are no different than those of MI, OH or IL.  Definitely less severe than WI, MN or the Dakota's.

Frame rust happens anywhere.  You'll find most good trucks from ON are Krown treated so they should be in good shape if they are.  I've seen more rust on new trucks still on lots than I have on my 2014 which gets treated annually.

Cluster really doesn't matter because all I care about is whether it is in the "good" range.  Units mean nothing to me.  

You can contact the MOT in Ontario and get a copy of the Used Vehicle Package which will show how many owners the vehicle had as well as any accident disclosures.  If the vehicle had an accident which wasn't reported through insurance, it won't be there (or anywhere else).  

As far as warranty, check before you buy it if everything is transferred and covered.  I bought a truck from West Virginia about 7 years ago and I had some minor difficulty on getting some engine work completed even though the warranty had full coverage in Canada.  It took about 2 weeks to clear but still caused enough aggravation for me.

8 minutes ago, hairybumcrack said:

I live in Ontario and many trade-ins head south due the exchange rate.  As stated before, our winters are no different than those of MI, OH or IL.  Definitely less severe than WI, MN or the Dakota's.

Frame rust happens anywhere.  You'll find most good trucks from ON are Krown treated so they should be in good shape if they are.  I've seen more rust on new trucks still on lots than I have on my 2014 which gets treated annually.

Cluster really doesn't matter because all I care about is whether it is in the "good" range.  Units mean nothing to me.  

You can contact the MOT in Ontario and get a copy of the Used Vehicle Package which will show how many owners the vehicle had as well as any accident disclosures.  If the vehicle had an accident which wasn't reported through insurance, it won't be there (or anywhere else).  

As far as warranty, check before you buy it if everything is transferred and covered.  I bought a truck from West Virginia about 7 years ago and I had some minor difficulty on getting some engine work completed even though the warranty had full coverage in Canada.  It took about 2 weeks to clear but still caused enough aggravation for me.

Thank you for the very informative post. All of you guys.

I ran the VIN, it’s a one owner - personal. I believe 46-48k miles. 

What do they do to “treat” them? As far as warranty, it still have the corrosion warranty and factory GM power train warranty until 2020.

The lot is telling me that it comes with their lifetime power train warranty too. 

The truck is priced great too 

On 1/14/2018 at 10:22 AM, 2009GMC said:

Related image

So it appears I over looked something.. all of the gauges have been converted back to US Spec except for the speedometer. It has a max of 200 but says MPH. In the us it is 140 mph max. Let me see if I can post a picture 

How would this be accurate if it was measuring in KM?

I had them put it on the rack and send me some pictures and it appears they have under coated the under neath of the truck, not sure if it’s spray paint or what. I know how a couple of cans of paint can make something look good. What scares me is what’s underneath. I am leaning towards walking away from this deal.....

there is over spray on the differentials and rancho shocks as well.... sigh

A7B5DC1F-C68F-4A4A-AB77-30FA06A8CA01.jpeg

Archived