All-New 2019 Silverado Details: New Diesel Engine, Weight Savings, Steel Bed, 8 Trims, More Space

Gorehamj

Screenshot 2018-01-13 at 6.46.09 PM - Edited.png

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

1-13-2018

Chevrolet unveiled the all-new 2019 Silverado live tonight, and the launch was watched by GM-Trucks.com members here at the site with running commentary. The overall reaction is very positive to the new Silverado.

Chevrolet’s main points of emphasis on the new truck included:

• Size Increases in key areas

• A mixed-materials approach which yields 450 pounds in weight savings

• 8 distinct trims tailored to customer expectations and wishes

• A new 3.0-liter inline diesel engine mated to the new 10-speed transmission

• A strong emphasis on quality

• New style and functionality elements throughout the truck

• The bed remains steel

Screenshot 2018-01-13 at 6.35.57 PM - Edited.png

Three hosts overviewed the launch event. We have come to be fans of Mark Reuss here at GM-Trucks.com, and his well-rehearsed statements about materials and weight savings did not mask his passion for the new truck’s many improvements.  One noteworthy comparison Reuss used was that of a hammer, which is made of many materials. The head of the hammer, though is steel. Reuss said, “I don’t know how much work you’d get done with an aluminum hammer.”

Screenshot 2018-01-13 at 6.44.55 PM - Edited.png

The new truck features size increases in many key areas including in the cargo area. The rear seats will feature novel cargo cubbies. One interesting new design feature is that the seat height is increased and headroom also increases over previous Silverados.

Chevy clearly wants Silverado owners to think of the truck as built for them. To that end, Chevy has created eight distinct trims, including; Work Truck, LT, LTZ, Custom, RTS, High Country, Custom Trail Boss, and LT Trail Boss. Each of the presenters highlighted the ways in which the various trims serve the needs, tastes, and wish-lists of various Silverado buyers.

FortWayneBoxSwap03.jpg

Throughout the presentation, the speakers continued to mention the Ft. Wayne assembly plant and its industry best quality ratings from JD Power (JD Power Hammer if you watch the Mahk videos). Even going so far as to have the plant manager take a bow.

The new 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder turbo diesel engine option was revealed, but no details were given. However, Mark Reuss did point out that he knows the specs from Ford’s release this week and promised Chevy fans would have bragging rights.

Screenshot 2018-01-13 at 6.35.43 PM - Edited.png

The new truck’s styling is shown in the images. We will break down the elements of this new style in a separate story. The oddly placed shark-fin antenna and new front end were the topics of many Livestream viewers' comments.

There is much more to say about the exciting new 2019 Silverado and GM-Trucks.com will dive deep on the many points touched upon here over the coming days and weeks.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

How many miles have you towed with that new baby Duramax yet?

Not 1 mile?  As I stated previously.......I believe I was the first to spout my open and completely disregard that crap offering by FERD 3.0L diesel.....I also said, "GM is simply not going to put anything that belongs in a "suv" and put into their full-size trucks.....ENOUGH said, GM's 3.0 Inline 6 just smashed FERD into the ground end of story!  Please nothing left to talk about...............

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

Not 1 mile?  As I stated previously.......I believe I was the first to spout my open and completely disregard that crap offering by FERD 3.0L diesel.....I also said, "GM is simply not going to put anything that belongs in a "suv" and put into their full-size trucks.....ENOUGH said, GM's 3.0 Inline 6 just smashed FERD into the ground end of story!  Please nothing left to talk about...............

Sounds to me like you simply hate Ford and have no actual evidence to support anything you’ve said. Granted, I love GM too, but to hate of Ford simply because they sell more is stupid. We can all agree that Fiat (ram) is complete at utter trash and there are actual facts to back it. You just don’t like Ford because you heard found on road dead as a kid and wanted to be cool like everyone else. 

The fanboyism is strong here. :lol:

Both diesels should make good power but I have little interest in either as diesels add thousands to the truck price for gains in areas I care nothing about.

I just want the 5.3 to be competitive with the other V8s or make the 6.2 more widely available. 

25 minutes ago, kilowhiskey said:

Sounds to me like you simply hate Ford and have no actual evidence to support anything you’ve said. Granted, I love GM too, but to hate of Ford simply because they sell more is stupid. We can all agree that Fiat (ram) is complete at utter trash and there are actual facts to back it. You just don’t like Ford because you heard found on road dead as a kid and wanted to be cool like everyone else. 

Your 100% incorrect!   Pops=36years service, Mom=15 years service, Grandpa=34years, service, Uncle=35years service, Aunt=20years service.  Yeah, buddy I don't know what is that 120+ years service from immediate family?   Yeah, many of us on here probably have similar heritage.....So yeah you got me figured all out.

Ferd's just a glorified marketing infatuation....they didn't take the bailout?  Look, GM is poised to pound it so far down their throats it's comical......NOT EVEN ONE TWIN TURBO  GAS OFFERING FOR TRUCKS?  Please... go find me the 1000's of plus FERD V-8 trucks owners like CHevy legends with 300K+   your not they suck....and even more with 2.7eb's and 3.5eb's  complete CRAP and only FERD boys buy into that nonsense............ 

7 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Your 100% incorrect!   Pops=36years service, Mom=15 years service, Grandpa=34years, service, Uncle=35years service, Aunt=20years service.  Yeah, buddy I don't know what is that 120+ years service from immediate family?   Yeah, many of us on here probably have similar heritage.....So yeah you got me figured all out.

Ferd's just a glorified marketing infatuation....they didn't take the bailout?  Look, GM is poised to pound it so far down their throats it's comical......NOT EVEN ONE TWIN TURBO  GAS OFFERING FOR TRUCKS?  Please... go find me the 1000's of plus FERD V-8 trucks owners like CHevy legends with 300K+   your not they suck....and even more with 2.7eb's and 3.5eb's  complete CRAP and only FERD boys buy into that nonsense............ 

36 years of service? What is this, Military? You don’t sound reputable what so ever. The fact that you don’t even spell Ford correctly let’s me know everything I need to know about you ?. There’s a reason ford sells more. I let numbers do the talking little guy. I like GM, but your blabbering bullshit shows me you know nothing. Keep spelling the name wrong and looking like an 8th grader. 

P.S. little guy, there are lots of EBs on the road with well over 200k. 

28 minutes ago, MikeNH said:

The fanboyism is strong here. :lol:

Both diesels should make good power but I have little interest in either as diesels add thousands to the truck price for gains in areas I care nothing about.

I just want the 5.3 to be competitive with the other V8s or make the 6.2 more widely available. 

Agreed. They do need to make the 5.3 with more power. Of the big three, it’s the most underpowered. I believe Nissan (5.6)and Toyota (5.7) both do better (power wise) than the 5.3 as well. 

2 minutes ago, kilowhiskey said:

Agreed. They do need to make the 5.3 with more power. Of the big three, it’s the most underpowered. I believe Nissan (5.6)and Toyota (5.7) both do better (power wise) than the 5.3 as well. 

They all do. The Ram is at 395. the new 5.0 Ford and the 5.6 Nissan are both in the 390s and the Tundra is 380 I think. I know GM can do better with the 5.3 but they probably don't want to cannibalize 6.2 sales. At the same time, I'll never be buying a top trim truck which is the only type you can get the 6.2 in. So either allow all trims on the big motor or make the 5.3 better, right? 

What I am waiting on is what trims and engines will be available with 6 seats. That will determine what my next vehicle will be. I looked at the 18 Fords recently available with 6 seats, they felt cheap in comparison to my 15 SLE 2500. Leather bench, not stripped down truck with the 6.2L and I am sold. Time will tell.

Archived