Rear air vents!

x219c

Until they figure out a way to enlarge the evap,  or add and 2nd smaller evap, I'd remove sunroofs and add the option to add headliner a/c & heat like the SUV's with  a 2nd blower motor,  its moot!. The center A/C vents really don't due much anyways. My 2016 can cool the cabin down quick, even without the help of rear floor vents. 

BTW the 2007.5+ & 2014+ have rear vents they are under seats, and they are not insulated, nor was the GMT 800 trucks that hand console air vents. 2014+ rear seat tubes/vents feed under the seats and the contact the floor directly hot sheet metal... lol. I sound deadened my truck, I can tell you its much improved the heating and cooling of my truck, over tiny little vents on any center console. I am at work in a meeting, I will post pics later of my install showing the rear vents on my 2016.

Pictures added in next post, the 2007.5 to 2018 Crew Cabs  (minus base or work trucks) had this rear vent. 

Edited by 05SIERRAMAN
  • Like 3

On 3/2/2018 at 12:53 PM, 05SIERRAMAN said:

Until they figure out a way to enlarge the evap,  or add and 2nd smaller evap, I'd remove sunroofs and add the option to add headliner a/c & heat like the SUV's with  a 2nd blower motor,  its moot!. The center A/C vents really don't due much anyways. My 2016 can cool the cabin down quick, even without the help of rear floor vents. 

BTW the 2007.5+ & 2014+ have rear vents they are under seats, and they are not insulated, nor was the GMT 800 trucks that hand console air vents. 2014+ rear seat tubes/vents feed under the seats and the contact the floor directly hot sheet metal... lol. I sound deadened my truck, I can tell you its much improved the heating and cooling of my truck, over tiny little vents on any center console. I am at work in a meeting, I will post pics later of my install showing the rear vents on my 2016.

Pictures added in next post, the 2007.5 to 2018 Crew Cabs  (minus base or work trucks) had this rear vent. 

Great info!!

On 3/2/2018 at 1:53 PM, 05SIERRAMAN said:

Nice post! This is what I have been telling everyone who is crying about it being hot in back because there are not rear ducts on the back of the console, they are utterly worthless without a 2nd system like the SUV's have. It is all perception for them at the sight of the vents. I am in Texas as well, the truck cools great and there are no complaints in back about air. It is much more efficient to have the coolest air come out of the front center vents at a much higher rate then to lose all their efficiency, temp and air speed by being passed through a series of tubes down by the hot floor and trickle out through the vent that can maybe cool my knee.

Tyler

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, clayp said:

Great info!!

4 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Nice post! This is what I have been telling everyone who is crying about it being hot in back because there are not rear ducts on the back of the console, they are utterly worthless without a 2nd system like the SUV's have. It is all perception for them at the sight of the vents. I am in Texas as well, the truck cools great and there are no complaints in back about air. It is much more efficient to have the coolest air come out of the front center vents at a much higher rate then to lose all their efficiency, temp and air speed by being passed through a series of tubes down by the hot floor and trickle out through the vent that can maybe cool my knee.

Tyler

Thanks guys,

That got me thinking. Lets say GM doesn't want piss off all its customers &  keep the sunroof vs removing worthless glass above our heads that leak 24/7 and gets sand and dirt.

If I'd designed it for the current model K2xx & T1, I'd increase the evap... & condenser, add more refig... then....

***HVAC Tubes coming from redesigned improved evap...****

1. Add middle HVAC tubes like the GMT 800 & T1, in the center console, add a booster fan to increase volume.

2. Add left & right HVAC tubes (some how) add mini booster fans to the each "B pillar"  putting the vent output just under the rear grab handle.

Its my believe that people just want moving air on them like a fan, vs just cooling a space with low air output (Hence the rear seating area)

Man I'd love to design interiors for you guys. My Mercedes Benz automotive background taught me a lot, even like the idea of heated air scarf's, along with vented rear seats esp since they added a cubby space to the rear seats of the T1 trucks. 

Carry on

B pillar vent.PNG

B pillar vent3.PNG

B pillar vent4.PNG

airscarf.PNG

Edited by 05SIERRAMAN

6 minutes ago, redwngr said:

They gotta save some stuff for the SUV...

They have had A/C vents in the headliner of the SUV's since the NBS trucks that's over 20+ years man! GM really needs to think outside the box people will pay for these trucks if they are equipped correctly. 

Edited by 05SIERRAMAN

55 minutes ago, 05SIERRAMAN said:

They have had A/C vents in the headliner of the SUV's since the NBS trucks that's over 20+ years man! 

Precisely. 

I guess I didn't word it very well.

They gotta hold back some features to pull some buyers to suv.

On 3/6/2018 at 12:41 PM, Sean Neilan said:

Why all the sunroof hate? I love my sunroof and have never had issues with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a controlled leak, its not a question of if! but when? Don't forget about maintenance, sunroofs should be cleaned and lubed yearly how may of you do that? Most sunroofs channel the water to the rear (sometimes front or both) drain tubes, the tubes are typically routed down the B, C, D pillars of the vehicle to drain water. The sunroofs glass rubber seal gets old, sun/ozone damage, dirt & sand get in behind the seal, wet dirt and sand turns into mud, see where I am going.  Sunroof motors fails, track system its bound up/jams,  I have worked on so many convertibles, vari-o-roofs,  sunroofs, panoramic roofs, I will never order a glass roof in any automotive vehicle. Sunroof lowers the headliner height, so taller folks, it may create a problem, esp with cowboy style hats, work hats/helmets. 

I happily ordered my truck without a $900 hole. Working or not, its something I never have to worry about. As I stated, I'd remove it from production vehicles in favor of A/C heat in the headliner. You want a sunroof buy a convertible or vari-o-roof.   

IMO its your money you do what you want. 

Edited by 05SIERRAMAN

• 4 months later...
On 1/14/2018 at 11:35 AM, smit303 said:

My 2011 LTZ had rear seat vents. I don't know why they got lost in 2014. As it has already been mentioned, it definitely looks like a HUD projector in The High Country. I'm surprised it wasn't talked about in the video. I wonder when they will reveal the GMC version? The Chevy is looking pretty good to me, but the jury is still out.

Yeh, had them in the back of the console in my 2005 1500HD.  don’t know what year some idiot in design decided to eliminate.  Probably got a promotion and raise for saving a few bucks per truck.  Nevermind the lost sales, that’s another dept....

41 minutes ago, Snoringbear said:

Yeh, had them in the back of the console in my 2005 1500HD.  don’t know what year some idiot in design decided to eliminate.  Probably got a promotion and raise for saving a few bucks per truck.  Nevermind the lost sales, that’s another dept....

Lost sales? Grasping for straws here aren't we? They probably got rid of them because they figured out they were useless and the added cost they brought with the in turn reduced cooling abilities and actual effectiveness was as anyone would figure out a poor investment area of the truck.

Tyler

No grasping at straws.  What I know is from personal experience.  Having had the rear vents and having not had the rear vents it was an easy comparison, especially from those who rode in the rear seats ?....

38 minutes ago, Snoringbear said:

No grasping at straws.  What I know is from personal experience.  Having had the rear vents and having not had the rear vents it was an easy comparison, especially from those who rode in the rear seats ?....

I tend to agree. I have small children and my wife thinks they will have a heat stroke when they have to sit in the back seat of my truck in the Florida heat. It may be a small feature for most, but it's one more reason for me to hold out for the 2019's instead of buying a discounted 2018.