diesel for 19

RP53

A diesel 1/2 ton appeals to me but the cost will probably put it out of reach.  The efficiency and power in the current generation of gas engines also detracts from the benefit of a small diesel,  imo.  It will be interesting to see how GM promotes this engine/truck combination.

Would be nice if it split the difference between torque and mileage. I’d like to see 20-25 mpg and 500 ft-lb. of torque. Ram is at 420 and not sure what the Ford is coming in at yet with their 3 liter diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, RP53 said:

my bet you wont be able to touch one for less than $55,000.00 and that would probably be work truck trim

The price of a new denali? I highly doubt that.

You can get a nicely equipped 2500 duramax for that much

23 hours ago, Donstar said:

A diesel 1/2 ton appeals to me but the cost will probably put it out of reach.  The efficiency and power in the current generation of gas engines also detracts from the benefit of a small diesel,  imo.  It will be interesting to see how GM promotes this engine/truck combination.

I agree, most of the other manufacturers are around 250hp for the 1/2 ton diesels.

It will probably cost around the same as a 6.2, which would surely do a better job at towing.

250hp vs 440hp, hmm, not a tough choice (just guessing on new 6.2 output) 

1 minute ago, truckguy82 said:

I agree, most of the other manufacturers are around 250hp for the 1/2 ton diesels.

It will probably cost around the same as a 6.2, which would surely do a better job at towing.

250hp vs 440hp, hmm, not a tough choice (just guessing on new 6.2 output) 

V6 is 285 hp and doesn't cost any extra!  (Of course there are other advantages to diesels besides horsepower)

21 hours ago, RP53 said:

my bet you wont be able to touch one for less than $55,000.00 and that would probably be work truck trim

It will be priced like the Colorado/Canyon most likely at a 3-4K premium not 9-10k like the HD counterparts.  

A 3-4 thousand dollar initial price difference and higher servicing costs will be significant considerations.  I like the torque and the fuel costs of a diesel but they don't make diesels an easy choice!

22 hours ago, esloser said:

Would be nice if it split the difference between torque and mileage. I’d like to see 20-25 mpg and 500 ft-lb. of torque. Ram is at 420 and not sure what the Ford is coming in at yet with their 3 liter diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford is at 250hp and 440 tq with their 3.0 diesel. I’m sure GM will match or exceed it but be very close to these numbers. 

1 hour ago, Nick The Great said:

Good.  I don't understand why we don't have more diesel engines in this country.  

Because they cost too much over their gas counterparts. 

11 minutes ago, MikeNH said:

Because they cost too much over their gas counterparts. 

And they don't make enough power.

The 2500+ diesels are the only ones that have a clear advantage over their gas counterparts.

All the smaller diesels are just too underpowered and too costly compared to gas.

Now if they made the 1500 duramax with 350hp and say 550ft lbs, priced it the same as the 6.2, there might be a conversation there.

But if the diesel is like 260hp/460tq vs and the 6.2 is 440hp/480tq, and the cost the same, screw the diesel.

The diesel would be nice, except they charge waaaay too much for the pleasure. It's the same in the Canyon/Colo, the diesel is many thousands extra, yet the manufacturing and productions costs aren't that much higher. In reality, the manufacturing & production costs for a diesel in this class is maybe a few hundred $$ more, up to 1 g at the outside, compared to the gas engine it replaces, yet GM will charge 5 or 6 g, plus a couple of forced option packages to get it. Too much!

Because of that, I'll stick with gas.

Archived