Apple Carplay Issues

19 hours ago, 74Sprint17SierraATX said:

Hey all.

Anyone have any issues where when the phone is plugged in it charges, but Carplay does not come up at all? It has been spotty the last few months and now I don't have anything. Tried 5 different cables, All USB ports. Can't seem to find any solution or anyone with the same issue as myself. 

I just fixed my issue.
I deleted all links between my phone and the truck. That did not work.
Here is a link for a youtube video which helped me fix the issue.
For me it had to do with my software on the phone. I am currently running 12.1.2 IOS on my iphone7Plus.

Hope this helps someone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsbx8Nl2Sc

• 2 weeks later...

My iPhone 5s did this occasionally. I upgraded to an iPhone 7 and it happens much more frequently. I always ran the most recent version of iOS. I'm starting to think the USB ports on the truck are shit. Now when it happens, I nudge the USB cord where it plugs into the truck and it usually connects a few seconds later. I still haven't confirmed if this is the issue or coincidence. I'd be curious to know what results you get from nudging, adjusting the usb cable. My Dad has my iPhone 5s now, but I may run an SE for a bit and see what results I get.

iPhone 5 worked flawlessly in my 2016 when I switched to an iPhone 8 Plus i had this issue.

Had the radio updated to the latest it only got mildly better I did discover if I kept hitting the Projection button over and over it would connect at some point.

Switched to a 2018 Silverado and I have no issues at all now.

So not sure if the 2018 just had better software or hardware.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 6:56 AM, Shakeydeal said:

I had connection issues with my iphone 7. I just updated the ios to 10.3.2 and it now connects fine.

Shakey

IOS for iphone is now 12.1.3, not sure how you upgraded to 10.3.2?

On 1/15/2019 at 2:01 PM, 74Sprint17SierraATX said:

I just fixed my issue.
I deleted all links between my phone and the truck. That did not work.
Here is a link for a youtube video which helped me fix the issue.
For me it had to do with my software on the phone. I am currently running 12.1.2 IOS on my iphone7Plus.

Hope this helps someone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsbx8Nl2Sc

My only issue, unrelated to Carplay but iPhone related I think, is that when I have an incoming phone call, the iPhone rings but the ring doesn't come through the truck speakers.  The Mylink screen shows the incoming call and I can answer by pushing the button on the screen and the call proceeds normally via Bluetooth.  I do hear the phone ringing, any way  to make the ringing come through the truck speakers?  Works normally on my 4Runner.

has anyone tried cleaning out the lighting port on the phone? build up lint can cause poor connection. i had to really dig to clean out my lighting port to get a good connection. ever since cleaning out the port i will blast it with can air to help keep clean. maybe something to try out.

My only issue, unrelated to Carplay but iPhone related I think, is that when I have an incoming phone call, the iPhone rings but the ring doesn't come through the truck speakers.  The Mylink screen shows the incoming call and I can answer by pushing the button on the screen and the call proceeds normally via Bluetooth.  I do hear the phone ringing, any way  to make the ringing come through the truck speakers?  Works normally on my 4Runner.

I’ve heard of this issue, but never had an issue with it. I would try resetting your phone and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/15/2019 at 2:25 PM, Loco-diablo said:

I find that manually unlocking the phone before plugging it in helps.

I find that if I unlock the phone (iPhone) and plug it in before I start the truck, I get good results.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a ‘17 with iPhone 7.  I have had similar issues, I have found that if I have Apple maps open prior to connecting it has trouble.  You can also tap on the projection icon and get it to go.  Cables need to be Apple or high quality ones, but I have burned through several where it not only will not connect but it won’t charge.

Another top is anyone heard up and upgrade or hack that would allow for wireless CarPlay?  That would be worth some $$

Edited by CrazyZ01

I was having all of these issues but found a fix that has cured all of them for me... unfortunately, the fix is unpairing the Bluetooth connection. If I have Bluetooth paired and CarPlay, it works like 50% of the time. Once I umpired bluetooth and just used CarPlay, I’ve had 0 issues with CarPlay.

7 hours ago, wepiii said:

I was having all of these issues but found a fix that has cured all of them for me... unfortunately, the fix is unpairing the Bluetooth connection. If I have Bluetooth paired and CarPlay, it works like 50% of the time. Once I umpired bluetooth and just used CarPlay, I’ve had 0 issues with CarPlay.

Interesting.  Did you try just disabling on the phone temporarily instead (“Hey SIRI, stop Bluetooth”)?