Hi all, new here and had some questions. I have a 99 GMC 1500 4WD with the 5.3, and am having problems with the ABS. I bought the pickup used a couple of years ago, and as a heads up I'm up in the salt of MN. Currently the antilock system is inop, and eventually I'd like to get it fixed. The ABS light comes on all the time, and the Brake light is intermittent. It has set the codes:

C0241, C0242, C0245, C0246, C0251, C0252, C0265 which if I recall correctly are related to the EBCM; and 

C0267, C0268, which should be related to the ABS pump. 

I understand it's a lot of codes, and I've been trying to discover the problem for awhile. My question is to myself it seems to point to the EBCM? Please correct me if I'm wrong, any information would be appreciated. If you need any more info, let me know. Thanks!

Hi all, new here and had some questions. I have a 99 GMC 1500 4WD with the 5.3, and am having problems with the ABS. I bought the pickup used a couple of years ago, and as a heads up I'm up in the salt of MN. Currently the antilock system is inop, and eventually I'd like to get it fixed. The ABS light comes on all the time, and the Brake light is intermittent. It has set the codes:
C0241, C0242, C0245, C0246, C0251, C0252, C0265 which if I recall correctly are related to the EBCM; and 
I understand it's a lot of codes, and I've been trying to discover the problem for awhile. My question is to myself it seems to point to the EBCM? Please correct me if I'm wrong, any information would be appreciated. If you need any more info, let me know. Thanks!

There is an ABS module in the underside somewhere near the drivers seat. It is part of a poor design as all the salt etc get shot at it. I recall it was about $1000 fix (Canadian) and it wasn’t worth fixing. I had taken the dash out at used black electrical tape to cover the annoying light. Didn’t effect how the truck performed so it seemed to be a reasonable fix at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right I remember seeing that under the cab on the frame rail. If I recall some on here sent it to module master's? Would that take care of this?

That be a good option too thanks. I suppose thing will be rusted on pretty good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mymaggiebell said:

There is an ABS module in the underside somewhere near the drivers seat. It is part of a poor design as all the salt etc get shot at it. I recall it was about $1000 fix (Canadian) and it wasn’t worth fixing. I had taken the dash out at used black electrical tape to cover the annoying light. Didn’t effect how the truck performed so it seemed to be a reasonable fix at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried to remove the ABS module on my 2007 1500 Classic today...didn't have enough clearance to get a torx socket in there.  Any ideas on what to use to get this thing out of there?  Thanks

3 hours ago, PrairieGM said:

Hi, You're probably on the right path with the EBCM. It is mounted on top of the Brake pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) and is going to be one HELL of a job if it is rusted. I am going to list out the codes for you and go on it from there.

ALL THE ABOVE ARE - C0241-C0254 or C041-C054 EBCM Control Valve Circuits

C0265 C0266 EBCM Relay Circuit

the problem si going to be removing the Torx bolts from the top of the EBCM. Thet are T15 bolts. Here is what I would recommend.

Use a pick tool to clean out the top parts of the bolts. Use a can of Air or shop air if you got it to blow out the debris.

I would be very careful. If it feels like they are going to stip stop and use a hammer and tap the sides where the bolts go.

If they do strip, Split the side of the EBCM (you won't be able to exchange it or have it repaired) and remove the ebcm and then remove the bolts.

The biggest thing is you don't want to mess up the BPMV. If you do... look forward to replacing a lot of brake lines and multiple migraines. 

I know the EBCM is expensive... But between the EBCM and the rusted BPMV and brake lines that have pretty much welded themselves to it... I would rather pay for the EBCM than pay for and fight the BPMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tbeevrs said:

Tried to remove the ABS module on my 2007 1500 Classic today...didn't have enough clearance to get a torx socket in there.  Any ideas on what to use to get this thing out of there?  Thanks

Yeah you don't have enough room. So what you do is use a Torx bit set (don't get a tamper proof set because it will flex) and a mini ratchet. Or use a 1/4 6 point wrench on the torx bit.

Torx bit set - http://amzn.to/2D0d5l9

Mini ratchet - http://amzn.to/2Dhul8M

6 point 1/4 wrench - http://amzn.to/2DcQk0T

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the heads up. I might have to just have my brother take it in to his shop where he can put it on a lift. Is the ABS pump located inside the EBCM?

No, the EBCM bolts to it.

1-screws

2- EBCM

3- BPMV (ABS Pump) 

Capture.JPG.5891b40c94e4cfc57d5c65ad9a8a9ffe.JPG

• Like 1

Oh ok, thank you for the clarification. So I guess my plan will be to first repair the EBCM and go from there. It'll take awhile since I'm away and can't get to my brother's shop, so thanks for the help everyone! If anyone has anymore advice or knowledge, please let me know, I've been troubleshooting this for awhile. 

Did you ever get this repaired?   I took the ABS unit out and had the BCM repaired.  I re-installed the BCM and the ABS unit and need to bleed the system.  I purchased a scanner that can run the valves in the ABS unit. I still have code C0246, and the two lights on the cluster, which are the ABS yellow light, and the "parking brake" red light.  I tried to clear the code but not working for me.   i see above to try and do the tire calibration, which I will try tomorrow, any suggestions?

12 minutes ago, nowicksl said:

Did you ever get this repaired?   I took the ABS unit out and had the BCM repaired.  I re-installed the BCM and the ABS unit and need to bleed the system.  I purchased a scanner that can run the valves in the ABS unit. I still have code C0246, and the two lights on the cluster, which are the ABS yellow light, and the "parking brake" red light.  I tried to clear the code but not working for me.   i see above to try and do the tire calibration, which I will try tomorrow, any suggestions?

nowicksl: No I didn't get this repaired. Between college and work it's kept me too busy to take care of it. Additionally, I blew out a brake line and had to have all the lines replaced (thanks rust). Yeah I have the same problem with the lights, could it be a bad ground? I don't know what the tire calibration will do, give it a try, can't hurt. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in. Honestly, it doesn't bother me really that much, especially since the pickup is getting tired, I just know I'll have to pump without ABS. Wish I could be more help.