Sundancer2004

2017 Silverado develops shake and shudder @ 17,000 miles

2016 Chevy Silverado 6.2, max tow pkg, 17000 miles.  I just wanted to share this info. I know it has been addressed and speculated on. My Silverado developed the intermittent shudder at about 58-62 MPH then it stops. It rapidly worsened to include hard shifts, and a  shaking felt through the wheel,as well as visible.

Bought to dealer, was informed they were, according to GM to drain fluid and replace it, I was to drive it for 250 miles, if it didn't quit to bring it back for further treatment. I took a loaner home. Shortly after arriving home they called, said they checked with GM and were told to replace the torque converter.

Due to a regional storm I didn't return for several days. The truck runs like it did when new.   Here's what I was told.

GM received a , in  a "bad lot" of transmission fluid which was used in the factory. Engineers finally narrowed it down to fluid which led to the conclusion. They believed if you drained the transmission fluid and replaced it with new drove the 250 miles it stopped the problem, if not then they had to replace the Torque Converter.This treatment only showed favorable results in a percentage of Trucks. When they notified GM of the present problem in my truck, GM authorized to forgo the fluid replacement in light of the failures and just replace the torque converter.

ALL issues presented have been eliminated.   Just wanted to share. Have a Great Day and stay safe all..........

• Like 3

2016 Chevy Silverado 6.2, max tow pkg, 17000 miles.  I just wanted to share this info. I know it has been addressed and speculated on. My Silverado developed the intermittent shudder at about 58-62 MPH then it stops. It rapidly worsened to include hard shifts, and a  shaking felt through the wheel,as well as visible.

Bought to dealer, was informed they were, according to GM to drain fluid and replace it, I was to drive it for 250 miles, if it didn't quit to bring it back for further treatment. I took a loaner home. Shortly after arriving home they called, said they checked with GM and were told to replace the torque converter.

Due to a regional storm I didn't return for several days. The truck runs like it did when new.   Here's what I was told.

GM received a , in  a "bad lot" of transmission fluid which was used in the factory. Engineers finally narrowed it down to fluid which led to the conclusion. They believed if you drained the transmission fluid and replaced it with new drove the 250 miles it stopped the problem, if not then they had to replace the Torque Converter.This treatment only showed favorable results in a percentage of Trucks. When they notified GM of the present problem in my truck, GM authorized to forgo the fluid replacement in light of the failures and just replace the torque converter.

ALL issues presented have been eliminated.   Just wanted to share. Have a Great Day and stay safe all..........

That’s awesome for you! Glad to hear it!!

2015 Silverado LT Midnight Edition
4.5” CST suspension lift
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, good story!   Thanks for sharing!

It was not a bad batch of fluid. It is the torque converter. I had the same issue. The TSB has them do a 2 fluid flushes and one filter change PRIOR to changing the TC if condition persists. It usually comes back as it did with mine and many others. This is just a cost cutting procedure and a percentage will not come back in with it. Typical GM. I was told it was a quality control issue with the TC and a seal was rolled over when pressed together. Mostly '15's and into '16 till they determined the issue. They change it with a new part number to make sure it is not old stock of the defective part. Do you think this bad fluid ruined the TC but not the entire trans?? It was always the TC. The fluid has since been upgraded also. Mine started at 22K on my '15 Denali. No issues with my '17.

Edited by seamus2154

Don't be so sure of yourself.  It could very well be one, the other or a little of both. I am NOT assuming to be all knowing I am merely repeating what the service manager told me and showed me the bulletin. Last I knew relaying what was told to fix a given problem was what this site was for. Having dealt with this same dealer my lifetime I trust him.

12 hours ago, Sundancer2004 said:

Don't be so sure of yourself.  It could very well be one, the other or a little of both. I am NOT assuming to be all knowing I am merely repeating what the service manager told me and showed me the bulletin. Last I knew relaying what was told to fix a given problem was what this site was for. Having dealt with this same dealer my lifetime I trust him.

Well I only deal in facts not feelings and don't trust much. I like advice, but verify and corroborate what I have been told. I have been shuffled around by many dealers with alot of nonsense only to find out they didnt know or were interested in finding out. So...I am sure of what I experienced and the Actual TSB a the time, not what my service guy thought. which I could care less about. Ultimately they changed the TC as they did yours.....because that is the issue with a NEW part#.

Click on above link and read down to where 2 guys posted the actual TSB. PIP5337A This is an old issue. Go further down to PIP5337C. This is what your service guy may be explaining incorrectly. Or adding in his opinion that there was a" bad batch of fluid".??? No they upgraded it. The 2nd TSB is the same replacing the TC but does update to a new fluid. There is alot of other info on this but here is just one example. 

If there is another bulletin superseding the previous TSB I would be interested in seeing it and being informed of facts and the actual TSB that you said you read?? Please post, because, that is what I perceive this forum to be all about. Information, real information. I never mind when someone states "I think," "Could be", "possibly this" "can anyone verify?" as most guys do when they dont have the facts but are as most of us trying to solve or help other guys with their issues. 

Repeating or regurgitating what an employee says is just his opinion or what he has been told to tell customers. That could be mistaken by others as actual truth or a fact because they read it on the internet. I am happy you trust him, and he's a good man and maybe goes to your church, but that doesnt make it true. This issue is 3 years old and alot of us have dealt with it first hand. I seriously doubt GM would throw expensive TC's and labor at a problem they determined was a "bad batch of fluid". The "favorable results "on some trucks is just a placebo effect which GM loves as it saves them money from having to do the expensive TC. 

Again, I am open and would love to see updated info or a new TSB like the one you saw. Then I could be "more sure of myself" and "all knowing". 

In reality I just stated the facts, you relayed what some guy said...and you trust him. I just didnt want anyone to take that as a fact until we see otherwise in a TSB. 

works for me. Now I have some checking to do

at any rate,  the TC was changes and new fluid, porblem resolved. sounds like I was fed a line of bullshit and sucked it right up.

For me they changed the transmission (delayed engagement) and torque converter (shake/shutter) after trying the new fluid which of course did nothing.
All has been great ever since.

Cheers
Doug

Just took my 2017 in. They rebalanced all 4 wheels. Then replaced the driveshaft. Now shakes worse. Was 73+. Now 60+ and at 74 it shakes hard. Back on Monday. Short bed reg cab 2WD. Black Edition. Disappointing. I didn’t test drive on highway. Shame on me. Started vibration on mmefiately after purchase. I’ll discuss torqueconverter on Monday. 

1 hour ago, Novavettnut said:

Just took my 2017 in. They rebalanced all 4 wheels. Then replaced the driveshaft. Now shakes worse. Was 73+. Now 60+ and at 74 it shakes hard. Back on Monday. Short bed reg cab 2WD. Black Edition. Disappointing. I didn’t test drive on highway. Shame on me. Started vibration on mmefiately after purchase. I’ll discuss torqueconverter on Monday. 

Having had 4 of these in this platform everyone of them shook. I think we were up to 9 tires replaced on the '15 Denali. Bridgestone. Horrible tire. All they did was wear me down bringing it back and the vibration just moved around up and down. So 9 tires and 9 roadforce balances and they admitted its the tires. I bought the truck there and after much discussion they bought two tires and I bought two tires. Michelin Defender LTX................didnt even roadforce balance them............perfect, vibration gone! My '17 came with Conti. I changed them out to the Defender in the first month on 22's. Again perfect. Most guys with the vibration its the tires. The TC was mostly all 15's and 16's till they caught it. They can diagnose it but I'll bet you have a tire issue. 

Good luck

Just had service performed on 8L90 trans Flush/Fill new filter and gasket......50K on the dial under 2years they told me I was crazy this goes until 150K?  Anyway I noticed that immediately when pulling up they hooked all 4qty tires up to Hunter Machines and started taking readings?  I asked what they were doing and they told me alignments have to be checked no charge....I can only surmise this is from the CHEVY WOBBLE/SHAKE Fiasco...It took 5-10 minutes and told me I was just fine and they took it away for service.....

As for the fluid they use Mobil 1 ATF HP fluid.....What came out of mine was black as I have the filter and gaskets as they thought I was cra,cra for wanting it......Anyway, how GM thinks a 5.00 trans filter with 13qts is going to last 100-150K is ridiculous.  Spend the 350.00 and get that crap out of there!

I've been through this on my 2015 Yukon.  They tried the fluid and fast adapt relearn and then it got worse and decided to just replace the TC.  This was about a year into owning the vehicle.  Sadly I noticed this start again.  It is still under warranty so I'll probably let it get a bit worse for a few weeks before I bring it in again so its easy to detect.

It worked great for the past 2 years.  I'm wondering if anyone else had had this recur after getting the TC replaced.

As an FYI, here was my experience with my 2015 and some history of it incase it helps others.  Its an older post.