In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Needing Possible Wiring Help

'89 Cold Shot

Question

Good morning.

I am needing help asap.

I have an 89 K5 Blazer that I cannot get running.

History:

First bought after some one spun a rod completely through the oil pan.

I know the motor was bad, so I wasnt worried too much about tearing it up. I tried to start to see if everything else worked. i.e. starter, alternator, fuel pump, etc.

Everything worked. So I immediately shut her down.

I bought a replacement 350 from a running 94 Chevy 4x4 Pickup

I put all wiring back in place as they were before. Replaced all fuses, spark plugs/wiring, rotor cap and button, etc.

Now I have no headlights, slow turn over, wont start. 

I have removed the fuel line from motor, turned the key and NO GAS.

I checked the fuel pump relay and its good, checked the fuse panel and its good.

I know it is a long shot but wth do I look for?
I am a mom and this is my only vehicle and need to get it running asap.

By the way, At some point some dipstick turned it into a push start. Turn the key then push the button. 

I need help asap

8 answers to this question

TBI (throttle body injection) engine?

On those, the fuel pump will not stay running if it does not receive a good oil pressure signal from the sensor on the back of the engine block (to the drivers side of the distributor, if I remember correctly). Safety feature.

That's entirely possible, but if it ran before with the push button, then I doubt that is an issue. If it hasn't ran since the pushbutton was installed, then that is definitely suspect.

2 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

TBI (throttle body injection) engine?

On those, the fuel pump will not stay running if it does not receive a good oil pressure signal from the sensor on the back of the engine block (to the drivers side of the distributor, if I remember correctly). Safety feature.

Yes it is sorry.

I just thought maybe was a wiring issue due to the push start.

Now if that is good. Then what else would I need to look for?

Just now, Jsdirt said:

That's entirely possible, but if it ran before with the push button, then I doubt that is an issue. If it hasn't ran since the pushbutton was installed, then that is definitely suspect.

Gotcha.

I am just not very good with electrical.

I work on the body of the vehicle and the interior

I would grab a test light - MAKE SURE it has a GOOD GROUND - and check the power at the pump. Don't even have to disconnect the connector - stick a T-pin in the back side of the connector, just to get a spot to touch the test light to. When the key is first turned on, the pump should run for 2-3 seconds, then stop ... so the light should light for a few seconds, then go out.

If you test it while it's plugged in, and the light lights but there's no pump sound, then you might have a dead fuel pump.

6 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

I would grab a test light - MAKE SURE it has a GOOD GROUND - and check the power at the pump. Don't even have to disconnect the connector - stick a T-pin in the back side of the connector, just to get a spot to touch the test light to. When the key is first turned on, the pump should run for 2-3 seconds, then stop ... so the light should light for a few seconds, then go out.

If you test it while it's plugged in, and the light lights but there's no pump sound, then you might have a dead fuel pump.

Ok I will try that. Thank you !

Many, many years ago I helped a buddy swap the engine in his Omni.  When he went to start it, it cranked slow but did start and run.  It had all kinds of strange things happening and once hot, cooling fan wouldn't work, wasn't charging, all lights were dim, etc.  After a while we found the issue.  He left the negative battery lead disconnected from the engine.  The only ground connection the car had was the 12 gauge wire from battery to the body.  

Long story to suggest you make sure all ground connections from the battery are connected, and tight to the engine, body, and chassis.  Also verify all fuses are good. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By stevenv76
      I have a 2007 1500 crew cab classic that I've done more restoration and customization to than I really would like to admit especially with guys that truely understand these trucks.  I went way to far because I needed a truck to haul more than mine should have done and refused to get rid of it.
        All that being said, my frame is rusted to the point that repairs are no longer going to cut it.  I've replaced 1 cross member, boxed in the back half with 10 gauge steel, added braces but now the cross member above back tank strap is rusted off drivers side as well as the large one under rear of the cab and it's trying to fold on me.  I've replaced all bushings on control arms, tierod holes modified to accept hd tierods, new CV axles, front diff gas new outter bearings and seals, new ujoints in front and rear shafts with the rear being a steel shaft that is rebalanced.  freshly build transfer case with pump guard, transmission has an upgraded trailblazer 2400 Stall converter so about 2700 in the heavier truck, input shaft for a 4l65e, redline wide bands, Corvette servo, 9 plate clutches and hd bearings.  the rear diff is a Yukon duragrip, swapped from 3.42 to 3.73, 4 wheel disk with drilled and slotted, gutted the cats with a 3" stainless mbrp  installers choice cat back single exhaust, ho premium tune. I also installed a 5000lb load/lift airbag system with pump and tank behind the rear seat and guage/controller in the dash.  body is completely redone after being tore down to the driveline and cab bring only thing left on the frame so I was already half way there 3 years ago. 
        The big question is what year frames can I use frame wise.  what will be the cheapest option in everyone's opinion?  living in northern Michigan, finding a used one local is kinda dumb in my opinion because you're going to be blasting a ton of rust off at 5he least so why go through the work of swapping with another. one that is already half way gone.  will either be driving to get one or having shipped.  somewhere between me and Arkansas would be best as I have a friend that makes that trip several times a year.  of course money is tight especially with this hog costing me 51¢ a mile in just fuel the last couple weeks.  I'm seriously leaning towards wanting to do a swap with a frame that has the harness attached still.  I'm having electrical issues from hell to boot.  gas gauge hasn't worked since 2018 when I got it and I've tried everything shy of ecm(I did try bcm and tcm), I've got a bad wire somewhere in harness for bank one and also to the tps.  I play with those. wiring harnesses if it starts to run bad and it smooths right out but have no clue which wire is to be the culprit and pinpoint the break inside the sheathing.  the biggest ****** there is 07 classic is a complete Frankenstein from the factory.  the engine is flex fuel capable but no active fuel management which all the fuel components are the same as 08.  the oil filter is ordered by 08 to make sure I get the right one.  suspension parts I just say 06 on.  half the all cab wiring is ob's so I don't know how this all plays out harness wise.
        I parked it under a big tree Thursday that had a ton of very large dead libs during a severe windstorm and nothing but a nice live tree did fall right where I had it parked prior and no I can't make this ****** up.  I'm over insured and was hoping for a little help with my decision on this thing.  
        sorry for the rambling guys, just wanted all factors to be known when advise given 
    • By Jomar
      My Silverado is having issues with the 4x4. It does Engage but it struggles. When I set the 4h it kinds of drags like something is holding it back and it makes a weird sound coming from the front end. If I set it to 4l it really doesn’t want to move. I have to give it a nice amount of gas for it to go but is feels like something is holding the truck from moving. I’m looking for ideas to pin point the issue. Thank you 
    • By JSW.817
      I have a 2018 Silverado 4x4 and I replaced the factory fog lights with ones from Diode Dynamics. The new fogs have an amber backlight that I need to tap somewhere to get power. Can anyone help me with a good location for tapping and what color wire to be looking for? I'm thinking of tapping into DRL so they are on at all times during the day. 
    • By customboss
      Here’s my Walter. 
    • By Ckp
      Anyone hve information on lifting a sonoma 4x4, there isn't many options out there and i don't want to Fab it? i'm looking for more clearance to enjoy the 4 wheel drive without loosing the ride integrity if possible