4.3 V6 gone in 2019?

Donstar

The only thing I miss about having a V-8 is the sound. Other than that, I love my 4.3. Definitely not the 4.3 of yesteryear. Great mileage, tows and hauls good for what I need, and she moves when I need her to! I'd hate to see it go in 2019, but I can see why they would do away with it. 

17 hours ago, KARNUT said:

If memory serves, my 74 nova ss had 175hp my 69 327 Impala 2bbl had 275. I believe somewhere in the seventies they started rating hp at the wheels for insurance purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they did. They also changed the base motor layout. In the beginning it was at the crank without any belts. No alt or water pump, fan or AC etc. Numbers don't lie, liars use numbers. They also 'under reported' for insurance. Not something that the NHRA let slide. Many motors were refactored for stock classes. Some missed by a hundred. 

On 26/01/2018 at 9:02 AM, Gagliano7 said:

My friend had a 09 and traded it in for a 2016 last year both 5.3's and he says the 09 felt like it had more power.

I went from an 06 5.3 to a '17 5.3 & pretty much the same setup on the rest of the truck. There is absolutely no comparison. The 17 is waaaay faster, in every which way. It also gets waaay better fuel mileage as well........

Maybe your friend had 3.73's in his 09 and 3.08's in his '16.......??

11 hours ago, redwngr said:

Miss that slant 6 chev with the 2 speed powerglide.....or a '3 in the tree'....

Did GM trucks ever have a slant 6?  I know Chrysler had a popular one.  I owned a few three on the tree vehicles but  usually this was a money saving choice. My favorite all time system was the  truck 4 spd floor shift with the bull low first gear.  The 5 spd manuals were too car like, imo.   ;-)

21 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Did GM trucks ever have a slant 6?  I know Chrysler had a popular one.  I owned a few three on the tree vehicles but  usually this was a money saving choice. My favorite all time system was the  truck 4 spd floor shift with the bull low first gear.  The 5 spd manuals were too car like, imo.   ;-)

Dodge 170 and 225 slant six if memory is still functional. Around here we called that super low fist "granny  gear" . :lol:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

Not a slant, but a straight six back in the seventies...they were almost indestructible like the slant six. The straight design is typically more durable, but less efficient; and why you don't see many these days.

As for trans, yup three on the tree, wide and close spaced four speeds. The wide spaced trans were the granny (NP435 is an example) with only three sychronzed forward gears used for normal driving while the close spaced trans (NP445 is an example) was a typical four speed with all four forward gears synchronized. The granny or creeper gear was typically straight cut and stronger for more abuse.

My old 74 power wagon had a NP435, NP205 case, and twin Dana 60s with 4.10s...shoulda kept that one. First gear and low range was slower than a walking pace, even with 35 inch tires.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

4 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Not a slant, but a straight six back in the seventies...they were almost indestructible like the slant six. The straight design is typically more durable, but less efficient; and why you don't see many these days.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

I loved that GMC 292. Rock solid motor and almost as good as the Ford 300 six.  :lol:

Seriously, local shop, "American Rod Shop" drag raced a 292 in a lightened 67 Biscayne. All motor ran low 12's. 

On 1/29/2018 at 6:36 PM, Nanotech Environmental said:

I went from an 06 5.3 to a '17 5.3 & pretty much the same setup on the rest of the truck. There is absolutely no comparison. The 17 is waaaay faster, in every which way. It also gets waaay better fuel mileage as well........

Maybe your friend had 3.73's in his 09 and 3.08's in his '16.......??

He also says mileage is about the same. He drivers 50 mile round trip to work everyday so he knows exactly what he gets. Where we live in new york there are a lot of hills and curves so mileage is usually very close to the city mpg. I think his '09 had the 3:73 gears and the '16 has the 3:42 gears.

1 hour ago, Gagliano7 said:

He also says mileage is about the same. He drivers 50 mile round trip to work everyday so he knows exactly what he gets. Where we live in new york there are a lot of hills and curves so mileage is usually very close to the city mpg. I think his '09 had the 3:73 gears and the '16 has the 3:42 gears.

The difference between equally equipped trucks '09 and '16 in power and mpg would be noticeable.  The trucks your friend is comparing would be significantly different or there is a malfunction in the newer truck.  

Edited by Donstar

It’s a solid v6 motor but I just don’t think the 4.3 is needed as the base motor. Just too big for a base v6 And mpg is about same as other entry v6 if  Not more. Heck they could drop the 3.6. And give it like 300hp and 275tq.  It’s rated 335 and 284 in the v6 Camaro 

9 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

It’s a solid v6 motor but I just don’t think the 4.3 is needed as the base motor. Just too big for a base v6 And mpg is about same as other entry v6 if  Not more. Heck they could drop the 3.6. And give it like 300hp and 275tq.  It’s rated 335 and 284 in the v6 Camaro 

Good point but it is hard to get away from the bigger is better thinking!  Even though I am comfortable with a 6 cylinder in my truck, I still like knowing it's a big 6! 

• Like 1