2017 Silverado Capless Fuel cap Fuel filler cover

I have a 2017 Silverado and assuming the newest Silverado has the Capless Fuel cap / Fuel Filler. I see that driving through dusty environments, wet & snowy weather the fuel door does not seal against outside environments things can accumulate on the capless fuel filler. I figures out that the outside cap dimension is 6cm = 2.36" wide. I could use a trailer bearing cap with is the same width or just slightly larger or a rubber bearing buddy cap that is 2.44" = 6.20cm wide which both fits right over with the metal trailer bearing cap being a bit more snug. Check out the photo's below. To buy them I just went to the local RV / trailer supply place. Hope this will help anybody looking for a cost affective way to keep sh*t off of the capless fuel filler.

20180114_111104.jpg

20180114_111139.jpg

20180114_111231.jpg

20180114_111546.jpg

20180118_212328.jpg

20180118_212343.jpg

20180118_212502.jpg

20180120_110328.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't know that I live in lower mainland British Columbia so am not sure if they sell that up here but will check at the dealer if they do, or as suggested on eBay. It looks like it's lockable too I see. Thanks for letting me know!

Edited by Joe's 2017 Silverado

nothing wrong with capless, I have a issue with how the door on the Silverado doesnt seal. Look at other GM products, looks like all the other doors actually seal

Everytime I wash my truck I get a small amount of water laying in the trap door. Not enough to really hurt anything but it goes into the tank when filling

Yes I can wipe it out with a rag if it bothered me but its the point. If water lays there and goes into the fuel system so does dirt,dust etc

Edited by Orlando8
  • Like 1

I have had my 17 for 10 months now and have yet to find any dirt or water on the trap door or even close to the filler neck.  Have driven through pouring rain, snow, dirt and mud.  Have went through automatic car washes and hand washes.  Never had any water intrusion.  Not sure why some are having problems with this and others aren't.  Wonder if you could put thin weather stripping around the door.

Edited by 2017_whitez71
  • Like 1

Now you'll have to find a cap for the key slot to keep it clear of dirt, water, etc.

I’ve had locking caps with a similar key slot design. If the lock starts giving me trouble, I’ll toss it. They really didn’t need to put a lock on it. Bad idea.

Thanks for all the replys guys, some great and cost affective cover ideas too. Unfortunately I had to put a cover of some kind because here in BC we get lots of rain and I get a little bit of water on the capless and I figure when I fill up and shove the fuel nosel in it would push that little bit of water and any contaminants down with it. I do get a bit of dust too when I drive on dirt dusty roads. I know its probably nothing to worry about since it so little but I rather have a cover of some kind to keep debris out anyways. True what some say why they can't just use a conventional gas cap or seal the door as well like I see on some car models if they were going to use capless. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 Silverado Z71. I found that the cap from a can of Krylon paint fits perfectly  and just a little snug

on the capless fuel filler,  and its FREE.  When looking for a spray can cap, be sure it fits inside of the rim of the can ,

some caps fit over the rim and will be too loose

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't worry about a bit of water at all, the system uses two trap doors actually, after the first(outer) one there is a compartment with a drain hole at the bottom, then another trap door that actually goes to the tank. That is why GM includes the little funnel with the trucks, to get past the second trap door, and trust me, it's needed for adding fuel de-icer or additives to the tank, and not the ground below the truck.

• Like 1

Went out and checked under the truck for the drain hole and there is a drain, but it has a quarter inch hose connected 

to it, that goes back to the tank. I still think a slip over cap is the way to go.

Don't know if its true, but the dealer said it has the smaller second trap door to keep dummies from filling the tank with diesel !