2017 Silverado Capless Fuel cap Fuel filler cover

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions for a cap to cover the fuel filler. I went with the Fernco PQC-102 2" Qwik Cap. I removed the hose clamp. I liked the two ribs on the inside diameter. When I installed the cap, it felt like it snapped on to be secure. Removal was easy even in the cold weather we are having. My local hardware store had them in stock. Great suggestion.

Fuel Cap.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have 2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 with capless fill fuel tank. I am currently looking to trade in due to this. Chevy told me that they had to re-route the vent system (because it is located in the wheel well of all places) and that it is not covered by the warranty. I pay for engineers ignorance? $760 later I am back on the road. Then I see that all these new trucks have capless fill? I may have to special order a new truck??? 

Almost 2 years into my capless 2017... I bought a GM OEM cover, but only used it for a week or so because it was a pain to remove..That being said.. the filler seems to stay pretty clean behind the the filler door. At 32k miles, I haven't had any fuel related problems..so I don't use any type of cover.

I went to plumbing section of Home Depot and bought a ABS cap that fits perfectly. Did this for both the Silvy and the Tahoe. Sanded and painted yellow. Added a rubber edge from some tread slip belt I had and a Bowtie from an old keychain and it works and looks great.

IMG_20170419_143628.jpg

IMG_20170419_143728.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/6/2019 at 1:39 PM, David Prater said:

I have 2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 with capless fill fuel tank. I am currently looking to trade in due to this. Chevy told me that they had to re-route the vent system (because it is located in the wheel well of all places) and that it is not covered by the warranty. I pay for engineers ignorance? $760 later I am back on the road. Then I see that all these new trucks have capless fill? I may have to special order a new truck??? 

Do you mind enlightening the rest of us why your capless fuel filler is so horrible that you are going to trade you whole truck? I personally find that hard to believe...Secondly, why would the dealer have to re-route your vent? To where? Why did it cost over $700? Finally, good luck finding another vehicle that doesn't have a capless system, seems they all do best I can remember from driving rentals...

• Like 1

I am off highway streets about 75% of the time for the type of work I do. I am in the oil and gas industry and in the dust and mud constantly. With the amount of wind and dust that we deal with on a daily basis, the dirt does pile up around the fuel filler.  Just imagine the vent that was put in the wheel well. I can't miss work by constantly having my truck in the shop. They re-routed the vent to under the hood. On why it cost so much? I don't know..  I have looked at all trucks now and only the Toyota Tundra and the Nissan Titan have gas caps still. The Ram, at least, has a sealed compartment for some of their models. 

1 hour ago, David Prater said:

I am off highway streets about 75% of the time for the type of work I do. I am in the oil and gas industry and in the dust and mud constantly. With the amount of wind and dust that we deal with on a daily basis, the dirt does pile up around the fuel filler.  Just imagine the vent that was put in the wheel well. I can't miss work by constantly having my truck in the shop. They re-routed the vent to under the hood. On why it cost so much? I don't know..  I have looked at all trucks now and only the Toyota Tundra and the Nissan Titan have gas caps still. The Ram, at least, has a sealed compartment for some of their models. 

Well, you better hurry and get your horrendously outdated Nissan or Toyota before they update them in like...2050 or if ever. But I guess you wont have to worry about that crippling pesky capless fuel filler

• Like 1

Well, you better hurry and get your horrendously outdated Nissan or Toyota before they update them in like...2050 or if ever. But I guess you wont have to worry about that crippling pesky capless fuel filler
A gas cap makes it outdated? I wonder what do you think of people still wanting keys versus push start?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Could have just sealed the door yourself or built a plug to put over the hole...

Suprised nobody at the stealership suggested replacing the whole assembly with a capped system from a 014-016 instead of rerouting gas fumes to the engine compartment?

kinda pointless to get rid of it now ain’t it? Since you spent the money to fix it?

41 minutes ago, Rock1500 said:

A gas cap makes it outdated? I wonder what do you think of people still wanting keys versus push start?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not in the least, my point is the entire truck is outdated...and for the record my '17 still has a key and I much prefer it.

Edited by NCPGMC
  • Like 1