Marketing AWD and 4WD Systems

IIRC, the more severe cases were 2005-2009. My understanding is the rear end alignment usually caused the issue.

I have driven 2013+ with CVT's on some really slick ice and not had any issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was on the Subaru forums for many years following the issue, the only sure fix for ghostwalking was adding weight over the rear tires to better plant them...many tried the alignment fix (thinking was that the added weight changed the suspension geometry) and it didn't help.

I can tell you, having experienced it first hand, that it is the way that version of AWD worked. And that hasn't truly changed...they still drag the rear wheels.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

To explain what ghost walking is, essentially it feels like the rear wheels are disconnected from the road surface and floating ever so slightly back and forth laterally, fishtailing so to speak. It caused my wife to spin our Forester out (and she is a good driver) and I could feel it when on slippery roads. It only happens on slippery roads, if there is any lateral traction (even for one wheel), you will never notice it.

I have owned a LOT of Subaru over the years, we traded the Forester on a 2017 Equinox and haven't looked back. I will never own another Subaru because of that experience. Even my Wife says the Equinox feels better in snow with all season tires than the Forester on studded snow tires...

Steve

2012 2500hd 6.0l

Jeep's have several different choices, even on the 'legendary' Grand Cherokee, you have to get the trail rated pkg to get a real 4x4 system in one.... I like the setup on my Silveraro and if I could afford it and fit it in the garage I'd get my wife a Tahoe because I think the Autotrac 4x4 system is the end all be all of 4x4 systems for the average user...

• 3 months later...