In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Loco-diablo

regretting Sirius/XM subscription

Like most replies here I will keep it if I can get what I feel is a good deal. I really like the talk radio / news channels.  I get the weather app also at an extra 1.99  per month because it looks cool on the screen and you can do like radar and stuff. It adds up to about 9 bucks a month I guess.  The signal loss is very irritating at times though, it seems like any obstacle even tree cover will knock the signal out. It sounds like I might need to start looking at some options like smarphone apps or something? I don't know I a not real tech savvy being a Generation X guy. Millennials seem to have it all figured out...........................    

12 hours ago, '17 Sierra said:

FYI, It is REALLY hard to cancel. Hopefully you never gave them a credit card because they auto renew you at the max rate. Their business practices alone make me never want to have anything to do with them.

That's why you set a reminder on your phone for a day or 2 before it's set to renew and call to cancel.

Tell them that it's not worth the money and they'll make you a couple of BS offers. If  you tell them no 3 or 4 times, they'll hit you with 6 months for around $30. With tax, it comes to a little over $5 a month. I'm on my 3rd promo rate. 

23 hours ago, duquephart said:

But go for the $30 total (taxes, royalty fees, invoice fee included in the total). They do it for me so that means they will do it for you. Maybe I'll try for $25 next time -:). Anyone know how low they go?

One time I got $25/6 months and quite a few times I got offered $25/5 months.  I didn't like the 5-month thing (OCD I guess!) plus it was really the same as $30/6 so I just went for that.

I have been doing this same thing consistently every 6 months since late 2011.  They have ALWAYS dropped to the lower offer on the 3rd time after I said No to the first 2 offers.

13 hours ago, ElJefeBlanco said:

That's why you set a reminder on your phone for a day or 2 before it's set to renew and call to cancel.

Tell them that it's not worth the money and they'll make you a couple of BS offers. If  you tell them no 3 or 4 times, they'll hit you with 6 months for around $30. With tax, it comes to a little over $5 a month. I'm on my 3rd promo rate. 

I did that multiple times and got 1 year for $71.00, 5 years in a row; never got it for $60.00 though. What I was saying is if they have your card on file and if you were not one to be diligent enough to remind yourself of the renewal date, you're screwed because they'll prorate the current REGULAR subscription immediately after your trial and you'll never know until it shows on your CC bill. They'll cancel it, but you're responsible for those months that you had it past your trial. 

24 minutes ago, '17 Sierra said:

I did that multiple times and got 1 year for $71.00, 5 years in a row; never got it for $60.00 though. What I was saying is if they have your card on file and if you were not one to be diligent enough to remind yourself of the renewal date, you're screwed because they'll prorate the current REGULAR subscription immediately after your trial and you'll never know until it shows on your CC bill. They'll cancel it, but you're responsible for those months that you had it past your trial. 

If they don't have your card you don't have to worry about any shenanigans. Invoice requires a stamp and a mailbox but, IMHO, it's a better way to do it.

Edited by duquephart

4 minutes ago, duquephart said:

If they don't have your card you don't have to worry about any shenanigans. Invoice requires a stamp and a mailbox but, IMHO, it's a better way to do it.

That how I did it too; invoice.

11 minutes ago, '17 Sierra said:

That how I did it too; invoice.

The $2.00 "invoice fee" is something else you negotiate out of the deal.

I don’t forget when renewal is coming up. I’m OCD with stuff like that! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also do the call to cancel thing. I don’t understand why they just don’t offer it for a reasonable price. I’d be more than willing to pay $5.00 per month for it, but am not paying $15-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't worry about getting billed by surprise.  I was too lazy/forgot to cancel before being billed and they billed me for whatever the going rate was.  I have my Chase cards alerts to txt me when certain criteria charges are done.  So when I forget I receive the txt msg from Chase about a new charge and then I call XM.  Pretty sure Chase would side with me, I've never had a problem in the past.

Also why the heck is there a dead zone with a clear sky and no buildings.  It's dumb.  I thought maybe it was just my truck but I have gotten dead zones on all the GM loaners I've had.  Couple miles of silence is quite annoying at highway speeds, couple miles in stop and go traffic is just BS.

4 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I don't worry about getting billed by surprise.  I was too lazy/forgot to cancel before being billed and they billed me for whatever the going rate was.  I have my Chase cards alerts to txt me when certain criteria charges are done.  So when I forget I receive the txt msg from Chase about a new charge and then I call XM.  Pretty sure Chase would side with me, I've never had a problem in the past.

Also why the heck is there a dead zone with a clear sky and no buildings.  It's dumb.  I thought maybe it was just my truck but I have gotten dead zones on all the GM loaners I've had.  Couple miles of silence is quite annoying at highway speeds, couple miles in stop and go traffic is just BS.

Maybe it comes down to annoyance for some: remembering to call them vs. mailing a bill. I just don't like a questionable company having my card on file.

• Like 1

I tried the service for a limited time.  I got frequent dropouts even in seemingly clear obstruction areas.  When I called to cancel the service, their customer service tried to give me a "free" satellite radio receiver to mount on my dash to get a "better" signal.  I said no thanks to gadgets.

I have can in all 3 vehicles.  I never pay full price but not getting as good of a deal as y’all.  I can’t stand fiddling around with my phone for music when I’m trying to drive.  I like xm because I just start my truck and have music, worst cas scenario I have to change channels.  I tried to live without xm when I bought this truck, made it about 3 months before I couldn’t take it anymore.  

I love XM.  Can't stand AM/FM radio commercials these days with commercials every 6-10 minutes it is very annoying.  Don't have that on XM. 

• Like 1

I go back and forth between Sirius, Apple Music and Soundcloud. I only paid $99 for 12 months of Sirius which I think is worthwhile seeing as there are lots of 4G LTE black spots out here, and it’s great to have a backup. I also appreciate some of the talk channels where they cuss like real people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro