In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

'02 2500HD 8.1L towing 10K

Hi there,

Considering an '02 Silverado 2500HD with the big block 8.1L and 3.73 diff. ratio to pull my 10,000lb 5th wheel.

Anybody done anything similar?

I know the fuel mileage won't be great (like most gassers) and that the 8.1L uses a bit of oil, but from everything I've read is that it's a pretty bombproof engine.

Coupled with the Allison 5 speed transmission I'm thinking it would do the task quite nicely.

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

My 2002 2500HD with 8.1 and allison pulls my 14 ft bumper hitch dump trailer with 5 ton of gravel no problem. I know i am a bit overloaded so i keep mainteneace up of both units and is usually only short local pulls. The 8.1 and allison combination pull great but you are right gas mileage is dismall though etter than i expected. Unloaded i usually get 10 to 11 mpg, pulling trailer figure 6 to 7 mpg.  Quart of oil 1500 to 2000 miles with 195,000 on the odometer. I have had truck since 110,000 no troubles with motor (other than oil cooler lines) or transmission.  The problems have been with rust rocker panels,fenders, brake lines, rear brake components. I have had it 7 years with no plans on replacing it jsut to much fun with the big block.  

• 2 weeks later...

10K shouldn’t be a problem, since I believe my 2004 2500HD 6.0 regular cab 4:10 was rated for that. I’m sure the big block, even with taller gears should be rated for that capacity.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Another question regarding the Allison transmission with the 8.1L.

Is there a tow haul mode in an '02?

Seems to me that with the Duramax/Allison in tow/haul mode that if you tap the brakes the transmission will drop a gear to hold everything back while going downhill.

Does the 8.1L/Allison have that feature?

Thanks again.