GM 8.6 Differential w/G80

Hi everyone!  I have a problem I haven't had to deal with before.  Today I was replacing the rear axle bearings on a used 8.6 differential w/G80 that I am going to install in my 2000 Yukon XL.  The left side worked just like it was supposed to.  The right side did not.  I removed the clip and the right shaft wouldn't come out by hand.  I used my slide hammer it came out after 3 or 4 pops.I replaced the bearing and seals with no trouble.  Tried to put the shaft back in and it gets close to seating, but stops about 1.5 " short.  So I don't know if I let it rotate and now it is out of alignment or is there something up with this differential?  I do not know its history.

I have seen internet posts with guys cautioning that's it is difficult to get axle shafts back in in things get out of alignment, but I have not found any guidance on how to get things back in alignment?

Does anyone have any suggestions??  Thanks In advance!!!

Mark

GM Differential .jpg

Did you turn the carrier by chance after you pulled the pin?  I knocked mine out of alignment and it took a couple hours of wiggling and spinning to get things lined up again.  Ours was just a 1/16 off but off it was and that c-clip would not go back in until we got it just right by chance.  That was several months ago, everything is working perfect now.

Archived