In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
drunyan119

87 swb 2wd 5.3/4l60 swap

How much is it worth? Not totally sure what youre asking.  How much is the engine and trans out of the Tahoe worth?  How much is the truck worth now? How much will the swap be? What is the swap gonna cost?

Sorry should’ve been more clear. It’s already been ls swapped, pse wiring harness, polar grip linker locker with 373 gears. Stock gauges work correctly as well as cruise with heat and air.

I’m thinking of trading my 02 1500 z71 for it2ecf5d8e91dec20fa22f0d9181ec682e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of favorite body styles. I wouldn’t trade for it ifs going to be your daily driver. I have a 25 year old truck and a 17 year old sports car both like new. I like driving once a week. If you can’t afford both wait till you can. As far as value for the old one, I wouldn’t sell my 92 Chevy for 3 times (book) value too many things to consider 3-30K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I plan on using it as a daily for my 100 mike trip. My 02 gets horrible gas mileage, maybe 13 if I’m lucky and I figure the swb would be better

4 hours ago, drunyan119 said:

Yeah I plan on using it as a daily for my 100 mike trip. My 02 gets horrible gas mileage, maybe 13 if I’m lucky and I figure the swb would be better

Id have to recommend against it.  Wait until you can buy the old one outright.  Then you dont have to worry about reliability because it wont have to be your daily.   

I would assume that a single cab short bed lowered truck would get better gas mileage than a ext. cab lifted 4x4. They both have the 5.3/4l60 only difference being the swb has a 5.3 from a 04 that only has headers and exhaust I and the ext cab is a 02 5.3 but has a 212/218 600 lift cam, ls6 beehive valve springs, chromoly pushrods with shorty headers.

Dailying soemthing old over a long distance can get dangerous.  You never know when some 30 year old wiring is going to short and leave you with no brake lights or your windsheild wipers dont work etc etc. Driving it now and again is one thing but it needs a full blown restoration to be more reliable.