In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Ravenkeeper

Auto-Folding Mirrors

JUST AN OBSERVATION.............

SO, I have found that, occasionally, my driver side mirror will not unfold, when I unlock my truck, but the passenger side will.  Not sure why this happens at least once a week.  After several attempts to "unlock/unfold," I have discovered that after the first attempt to unfold, it is better fold the mirrors back in, and unfold them again.  I'm not sure if some lug-nut, out there, keeps coming by my truck, once a week, and tries to manually unfold my mirror. 

Edited by Ravenkeeper
Font size

My passenger side tow mirror occasionally flakes out and either doesn't fold when commanded to, or only folds partially. I've never had an issue with it unfolding though. Mine seems to do it only when it's cold outside from my observations. Thought about bringing it to the attention of my dealer next time through and hope it's covered under the extended warranty.

My passenger side does the same...Sometimes it doesn't fold out...I've taken it to the dealer, and since it's happening at random, they could not produce the issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jetmek said:

My passenger side tow mirror occasionally flakes out and either doesn't fold when commanded to, or only folds partially. I've never had an issue with it unfolding though. Mine seems to do it only when it's cold outside from my observations. Thought about bringing it to the attention of my dealer next time through and hope it's covered under the extended warranty.

Not quite the same, but mine's been doing it year-round, so temperature is not the issue.  It's been only doing it in my driveway, that's why I'm thinking that someone is messing with it.

3 minutes ago, KA0S said:

My passenger side does the same...Sometimes it doesn't fold out...I've taken it to the dealer, and since it's happening at random, they could not produce the issue.

Next time it does it, fold them and then unfold them.  You may have someone messing with it/them, like mine.

14 minutes ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Not quite the same, but mine's been doing it year-round, so temperature is not the issue.  It's been only doing it in my driveway, that's why I'm thinking that someone is messing with it.

No, not quite the same and the temperature definitely isn't the issue, though I'm sure it gets cool in Cali. We've had a rather ridiculous swing in the thermometer here as of late. 50's one day, then 3 days later wind chills of 5 to 10 below. Do you know of someone who would do it just to be funny? Touching another mans truck without permission should be punishable by law.

Edited by Jetmek

19 minutes ago, Jetmek said:

No, not quite the same and the temperature definitely isn't the issue, though I'm sure it gets cool in Cali. We've had a rather ridiculous swing in the thermometer here as of late. 50's one day, then 3 days later wind chills of 5 to 10 below. Do you know of someone who would do it just to be funny? Touching another mans truck without permission should be punishable by law.

YIKES!!!  Last week, I was using the hell out of my heated sweater (mid-30s to mid-40s), with wearing a sweatshirt on my way to work (mid-60s).  This week, I haven't used my heated sweater, yet.  70+ coming into work, and mid to upper 40s on the way home.  Although, Thursday, LAST WEEK, we had high winds and it was in the 30s, when we went home.  Had my heated sweater on high, I was nice and toasty, until I cleared the hangar door.  Wind blew ALL of the heat out of my sweater, even with my gortex jacket on, over top of my sweater.

Touching another man's truck without permission should be punishable by death. 

Had the same issues with passenger side not folding. It was an intermittent issue. Finally it quit all together after about a year of sometimes working sometimes not. Dealer replaced the entire mirror advising it was a bad mirror motor.

11 hours ago, Jetmek said:

My passenger side tow mirror does this as well - when I pull out of my heated garage drive to work in the morning park hit the fold it either doesn’t go or only goes partial. I have to cycle it a time or two for it to fold all the way in. We have similar temps in the frequently below 0 and then in the low single digits or teens.

OP - you can get an adequate quality infrared game camera for about $50 from Academy/Dicks/etc.   SD card download to your phone/computer.  Your question will be answered.  

Just went to the dealer with this same issue(passenger side mirror randomly won't unfold). they updated the seat memory software ,but could not replicate the problem. I don't know if it worked yet...

On 2/3/2018 at 7:10 AM, Boardmember said:

OP - you can get an adequate quality infrared game camera for about $50 from Academy/Dicks/etc.   SD card download to your phone/computer.  Your question will be answered.  

Been thinking about that, dash cam (motion sensitive), or camera system on my driveway/house.  I have a "driveway doorbell" from Harbor Freight, in my garage, been thinking about putting that up, too.

I'll bet you the little plastic spur gear inside the drive unit is broken in half or missing teeth.  Ive seen this happen alot and depending on how the gear is oriented, sometimes it will grab the mating gear and sometimes it will just let the motor spin.

The real problem is that plastic gear itself, it should be metal.

You can buy the upgraded metal components here, its the 1st item.  If you have power folding mirrors, this is a smart upgrade because even if you dont power fold them much, all it takes is 1 manual fold cycle from the guy at the car wash and that cheap plastic gear usually goes snap.  Once that plastic gear in there breaks, the mirror main spring doesnt get compressed and it lets the whole mirror wobble and vibrate as you are going down the road.

http://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/gm-truck

3 hours ago, jatkinson8755 said:

I'll bet you the little plastic spur gear inside the drive unit is broken in half or missing teeth.  Ive seen this happen alot and depending on how the gear is oriented, sometimes it will grab the mating gear and sometimes it will just let the motor spin.

The real problem is that plastic gear itself, it should be metal.

You can buy the upgraded metal components here, its the 1st item.  If you have power folding mirrors, this is a smart upgrade because even if you dont power fold them much, all it takes is 1 manual fold cycle from the guy at the car wash and that cheap plastic gear usually goes snap.  Once that plastic gear in there breaks, the mirror main spring doesnt get compressed and it lets the whole mirror wobble and vibrate as you are going down the road.

http://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/gm-truck

this is good to know.

thanks