So what's this gonna cost me?

16 minutes ago, ducklawyer said:

You did the right thing going through your ins. Depending on who you have, your company you should be reimbursed by his carrier. It’ll just take some time. With that being said, let’s see some pics of the entire truck! Sounds like a nice set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's what I will do.  I am with State Farm, he is with Liberty Mutual.  I will just pay the deductible and let them fight it out and see what happens.  Attached in a pic that shows my damage and his side by side.  Clearly the only way I could have damaged my truck is if his door was up inside my wheel well.  Look at where his minor damage is, yet the part below it isn't, as it was that deep inside my wheel well when I pulled forward.

I will post up some pics later.  I have some exterior shots in another thread if you search for threads by me, and I think I posted a video of the exhaust after we straight piped it from the CATs on back... I will get some pics of the leather, they came out really nice, and seem thicker and better quality than if I had gotten OEM leather.  The leather seats on my 2016 Colorado Z71  started tearing on the side after only 1 year.  These look like they will hold up and carry a nice warranty.

Side by Side.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

Yeah, that's what I will do.  I am with State Farm, he is with Liberty Mutual.  I will just pay the deductible and let them fight it out and see what happens.  Attached in a pic that shows my damage and his side by side.  Clearly the only way I could have damaged my truck is if his door was up inside my wheel well.  Look at where his minor damage is, yet the part below it isn't, as it was that deep inside my wheel well when I pulled forward.

I will post up some pics later.  I have some exterior shots in another thread if you search for threads by me, and I think I posted a video of the exhaust after we straight piped it from the CATs on back... I will get some pics of the leather, they came out really nice, and seem thicker and better quality than if I had gotten OEM leather.  The leather seats on my 2016 Colorado Z71  started tearing on the side after only 1 year.  These look like they will hold up and carry a nice warranty.

Side by Side.jpg

Did you drive into him or did he open into you? If he's at fault you should not be paying anything.

His door was open too far as he loaded his groceries.  It was over the white line, and his door was about 4-5" inside my wheel well.  So when I pulled forward, his door hooked on the corner of my wheel well, and the fun ensued.

But as far as fault on the police report, no.  No law was technically broken and it was on private property so the police report just reflects our testimony.  Neither of us were cited.

At the end of the day it will be my word against his word and his mom's(whose policy he is on).  It is what it is at this point, I guess.

I ran into a similar incident, old guy (94 YO) hit my Tacoma which was parked while I was sitting in it.  No police report, his word against mine.  Easier to just do what you did and let your insurance handle it!  USAA actually waived my deductible because it was obvious who was at fault.

That looks like a difficult fix as the door actually creased/gouged the wheel well lip.  Probably a full bedside needed?  

Yes, good decision, OP.  Get it fixed and move on!  My experience is that parking lot incidents have their own set of rules.  Common sense may say the other person made a mistake but the responsibility will be put on you for not anticipating such a mistake!  Good luck!

The vehicle that was moving is always the one that is 'at fault'. 

'Over the line' has zero to do with it. Parking lot spaces as they are, I'm pretty sure your door was 'over the line' when you opened it to get in get in. 

And you probably stepped on both sides of the line as you approached your truck. 

To bad the truck doesn't have mirrors for checking for people and objects before moving in a crowded parking lot. 

Be glad you didn't knock over and hurt some little old lady while you were ignoring your surroundings.

Pretty sure the other guy is posting somewhere about this guy that nearly ripped the door of his vehicle while he was just loading his groceries.  But he's nit likely acknowledging that it might have been considerate (and a defensive move) to close the door. 

He's probably proud that he made sure that nothing touched the shiny new truck when he opened the door.

Now if the guy did damage to you truck while the truck was stationary, that would be a whole different conversation.

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

The vehicle that was moving is always the one that is 'at fault'. 

'Over the line' has zero to do with it. Parking lot spaces as they are, I'm pretty sure your door was 'over the line' when you opened it to get in get in. 

And you probably stepped on both sides of the line as you approached your truck. 

To bad the truck doesn't have mirrors for checking for people and objects before moving in a crowded parking lot. 

Be glad you didn't knock over and hurt some little old lady while you were ignoring your surroundings.

Pretty sure the other guy is posting somewhere about this guy that nearly ripped the door of his vehicle while he was just loading his groceries.  But he's nit likely acknowledging that it might have been considerate (and a defensive move) to close the door. 

He's probably proud that he made sure that nothing touched the shiny new truck when he opened the door.

Now if the guy did damage to you truck while the truck was stationary, that would be a whole different conversation.

Makes sense. If OP isn't moving there's no damage, at least not of this type.

If you're walking down the sidewalkt and get flattened by a falling piano it's partially your fault. If you weren't under the piano you wouldn't have been flattened. That's how insurance works.

not true, if you were driving down the street and a parked car opened it's door and you hit it,  it's the fault of the guy that opened his door.  

that being said, stuff that happens in parking lots is usually 50/50.  So your insurance will pay for yours, and his will pay for his.  

OP sorry for the damage your truck suffered.  I feel your pain.  I had my truck for a month and a moron on a motorcycle hit me head on.  $12,409 in damages.  Lucky for me it was his fault and my truck was fixed good as new, and I got a check for $4,800 for diminished value.  If it is proven to be the other drivers fault, you should go after his insurance for diminished value.  Unfortunately since it happened in a parking lot and it's your word against his, you may have a hard time proving fault.

Dropped the truck off at the dealer yesterday, they said they can repair it good as new without replacing the panel.  They were making good progress yesterday on pull out and smoothing the dents and filling in the cut with weld, and hoped to have it prepped and off to paint today.  Luckily it's a new truck and the paint has not had time to fade, so matching the color shouldn't be hard.  They say I should have it back this week unless something unforeseen happens.

Total cost of the repair should be about $1400, so less than I expected, but I still have to pay a grand either way and then let the insurance companies fight it out and see if I get my money back.

Once the repair is done and the paint cured, I plan to get a set up fender flairs to help protect that edge from dings in the future.  I kind of like the black on red look rather than color matching, similar to how the Raptor comes...

Any thoughts on that?

6 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Flares look good on some trucks with oversized wheels.  I wouldn't add them with stock tire/wheel sizes or for ding protection.  

Thoughts?  The tires are slightly larger than stock, and the truck as 2" of lift front and back...

IMG_20180110_184613.jpg

3 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

Thoughts?  The tires are slightly larger than stock, and the truck as 2" of lift front and back...

IMG_20180110_184613.jpg

This is an absolutely beautiful truck, imo. The wheels look great and fit nicely in the wheel wells. I would not add flares but it is not my truck. 

Archived