So what's this gonna cost me?

If in a no fault area - even if the kid admitted fault, you will have a hard time getting money recouped.

As if you need another one, but IMO, it was both of your faults.  If someone is next to my truck I don't move until they are gone regardless if what they are or what they should be doing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dealer is doing the final buffing right now, seems like they are done.  The Z71 decal won't be in till Friday but I am gonna see if they let me pick the truck up today and then go back for the decal on Friday.  I have to say, these guys are fast!

Back as good as new!  Total repair came to about $1500, so I had to pay $1000 of that.  State Farm also did a "Diminished Value" assessement, and came up with $1,106.20 that they say I am to be paid?  Sucks that my value went down, but at least that will cover my deductible.

72 hour turnaround time and you can't tell it was hit.

IMG_20180207_172453.jpg

Just a memory! Looks good.  I am surprised they offer diminished value on a repair such as this.  I was of the belief that any repairs under $2,000. need not be reported or recorded.  This may be a local practice.

It seems to be a State of GA thing, where insurance companies don't just have to cover the costs of repair, but there is a calc that they have to run to come up with the diminished value.  My account says that they are sending me a check, so we will see what happens.  

You may get lucky and have the kid's insurance claim responsibility.  But in all likelihood, you'll probably have to try small claims if you want to get your money back.  Since there isn't any bodily injury, SF isn't going to try very hard. 

You never know.  About 7 years ago I had a guy in an F250 make a right turn into a parking lot, from the left lane without using his turn signals or even looking.  I was on an FZ1 at the time, went into a full on stoppie, and he still hit me.  I ended up going under the back of his truck and his tail pipe went up inside my jacket and he ended up dragging me halfway across the bank parking lot.  People had to run out and tell him he had hit and was dragging someone, he claimed he had no idea.

I was wearing my gear so I pretty much shrugged it off, but he did about $1800 damage to the bike.  Luckily by the time he hit me, I got the bike from 30mph to about 3mph, so it kinda just fell over and slid maybe 5 feet.

I had no medical bills, but State Farm did go after him to get my deductible back.  They also bought me a new helmet and Alpinestars jacket.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news!  Got a call last night from the guy's insurance company(Liberty Mutual).  They said that they have been trying to get in touch with the driver and he and his mom will not return their calls or respond.  So they went and got the police report, and it was very clear from the report and the cop's notes that their client was at fault.

They gave me a reference number to give to my insurance(State Farm) and told them to send them an invoice and that they would reimburse State Farm for the repair and my deductible.  They said at that point, once State Farm is reimbursed, my "accident" will be coded as not my fault and it won't impact my insurance premiums...

So good news there.  I had hoped that the guy would do the right thing, but as I guessed, his mom probably took over the process and tried ignoring it and hoped it would go away, which forced his insurance to do their own homework and the police report saved the day for me.

Great success!

37 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

Good news!  Got a call last night from the guy's insurance company(Liberty Mutual).  They said that they have been trying to get in touch with the driver and he and his mom will not return their calls or respond.  So they went and got the police report, and it was very clear from the report and the cop's notes that their client was at fault.

They gave me a reference number to give to my insurance(State Farm) and told them to send them an invoice and that they would reimburse State Farm for the repair and my deductible.  They said at that point, once State Farm is reimbursed, my "accident" will be coded as not my fault and it won't impact my insurance premiums...

So good news there.  I had hoped that the guy would do the right thing, but as I guessed, his mom probably took over the process and tried ignoring it and hoped it would go away, which forced his insurance to do their own homework and the police report saved the day for me.

Great success!

An insurance company playing fair? Did I read that correctly? Be sure diminished value is included. Check the numbers.

Why wouldn't be diminished value?  It will more than likely show up on Carfax since it was reported to insurance company.  If he trades the truck in or sells it, he will surely take a small loss on value.  I agree it wasn't a major accident, but it was still an accident.  I received $4800 for mine, but mine was more severe.

20180217_123002.jpg

Yeah, the way that state farm explained it to me, just the fact that my car now shows up in a Carfax report, will lower the sell or trade value.  In GA, they are required by law to pay out not just for the repair, but also the diminished value of the vehicle.

The rep said that at the dealer that I went to, last year some guy had a major accident with is brand new loaded top of the line Tahoe.  It needed new bodywork, the frame was bent, etc...  They didn't total it out, but chose to fix it.  Took 6 months, but they did finally get his truck back to him looking and riding brand new.  The owner then got a check for $28k for the diminished value..

Archived