To Plow or not to Plow, that is the question

Would you put a plow on your 1500? I have a 17 Midnight with a leveling kit. Other than that, it is stock. I live in Maine and we often get over 100 inches of snow a winter. I am getting sick of snow blowing. So I am thinking plow. Boss makes a nice V Plow for this class truck. Tho being from Maine not buying a Fisher Plow is like wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat into a Starbucks (Fisher Plows are made in Maine). Sadly Fisher does not make a V Plow for the double cab and extended cab 1500 trucks anymore. The GM dealer say I could have issues with my warranty with a Fisher V installed. But with the Boss, I am all set. Look at me. I am already defending myself. I have tons of experience plowing. Growing up our driveway was 1,000 feet long across a field so you learn fast or you spend the winter walking. 

I am still very much in love with my truck and don't want to mess it up. I know it can do it. I am just trying to decide if I should do it. Where I live now my door yard is not big enough to justify keeping a "Yard Donkey" for plowing so If I do it it's going on my Silverado. 

Anyhow, I would like to hear other owner's experiences with installing and using snow plows on your 1500 Silverados. Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

20170726_114046[1].jpg

Although you lack room, I'd buy an old, rusty 3/4 ton truck or a 4 wheeler with a plow to plow with than risk messing up your nice truck. I used to plow. It's rough on everything...

Edited by 2017SierraSLT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone who has plowed commercially and residentially with ½, ¾, and 1 tons, I personally would not put a plow on anything smaller than a ¾ ton, especially a vplow. Can you get away with a plow on an older ½ ton? Sure, but the front ends were a lot more robust than today. Used to have a 2000 F150 in our fleet with a 7'6" BOSS straight blade. Beat the snot out of that thing plowing mostly large lots, and I don't know how it held up as well as it did.

If you only plow your drive and maybe a neighbor or 2, and you take it easy, you should be okay. Just don't drive around with the plow on too much, or you'll be doing ball joints and tie-rods every other year. Sounds like you're experienced enough to know what a truck can and can't do, and to not tear it up.

I personally wouldn't put a plow on that truck, it's too pretty to get torn up by a plow. However, it's your truck, so you do as you please. If you do, I approve of the BOSS...I wouldn't touch anything else (:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MixerDriver said:

Just curious, how long of a driveway are you looking to plow?

Not big, about 100 feet. Tho I may end up helping out at my dad's from time to time (1,000 feet). But really only if his truck has problems. 

Had another thought since your drives not that big...I think they're a bit pricey for what the are(like $1500), but there's those SnowSport plows that go in your hitch receiver. Put it in the back and just plow in reverse. Only problem is they don't angle. It'll keep yourself from tearing up the front end, and I'm sure they're better than a snowblower. Then again, probably won't work the best if you have to plow your dad's.

12 minutes ago, 2017_whitez71 said:

This is too funny, what is a yard donkey?  A tractor?

Sorry, should have said. It's an old truck that you can't drive on the road anymore because it is so rotten it would never pass inspection but can still be used for work. I am going to use an old Jeep Grand Cherokee at my camp in the woods as a Donkey to save my Silverado.  People keep old 4x4 trucks forever here till there is nothing left. Lots of guys cut the bodies off them when they get too bad and just drive the chassis around plowing, hauling and stuff. The good ones have the frames shortened so you can get them through the woods better. They are like a poor man's tractor. Picture your truck with no body, a plow 2 sizes too big and a Mad Max cab and bed. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MixerDriver said:

Had another thought since your drives not that big...I think they're a bit pricey for what the are(like $1500), but there's those SnowSport plows that go in your hitch receiver. Put it in the back and just plow in reverse. Only problem is they don't angle. It'll keep yourself from tearing up the front end, and I'm sure they're better than a snowblower. Then again, probably won't work the best if you have to plow your dad's.

Yeah, I have seen those. They don't work here. You get over a foot of snow and those don't work. But thanks for the idea anyway.

1 minute ago, MrSteam said:

Sorry, should have said. It's an old truck that you can't drive on the road anymore because it is so rotten it would never pass inspection but can still be used for work. I am going to use an old Jeep Grand Cherokee at my camp in the woods as a Donkey to save my Silverado.  People keep old 4x4 trucks forever here till there is nothing left. Lots of guys cut the bodies off them when they get too bad and just drive the chassis around plowing, hauling and stuff. The good ones have the frames shortened so you can get them through the woods better. They are like a poor man's tractor. Picture your truck with no body, a plow 2 sizes too big and a Mad Max cab and bed. 

Ok good to know.  Learn something new everyday lol!  Love the term yard donkey!

• Thanks 1

HAHA Yeah, it is kind of strange when I stop and think about it. Wish I had a picture I could post. See them all over but I guess people are not putting pictures on their FB LOL. I know a guy who has a 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee he cut the cab off. He left the dash, front seats and front end on. He reworked an old S10 bed floor on the back. The thing can pull like a well, Donkey. He drags trees and rocks on a sled he made out of the roof from the jeep. Last I knew it was for sale for $250. 

I live in the county and plow with my 16 crewcab. I have a fisher 7.5 HD and it handles it fine. I only carry it when I have to and have almost 3 seasons on it with no problems. I know it’s not a v plow but with my back drag setup and bar I run on my trip edge it is close to the weight of a v plow. I have a leveling kit and some sumo spring coils up front. I plow my driveway and a few here and there so like I said I only carry it when I have to and I have good luck with it. With the minute mount system it is very easy to hitch up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I seen a new silverado,  not sure what edition it may have been but it had the 22s on it with a plow and had a quad in the bed lol. 

Your driveway is 100ft, mine is 90ft double wide,  I snowblow it no issue with a Toro 724.  It almost seems like plowing would be more of a hassle, connecting and disconnecting and then storing the plow.

Just my two cents - i will admit, i have zero knowledge about plowing unless its with an atv lol.

Edited by SkiDooNick700
  • Thanks 1

I used to plow my 1200ft driveway with a 4cyl 2.7L 5sp manual Tacoma and a Homesteader plow....always in 4LO, and always plowing downhill. It wasn't pretty but it worked. Yes, you could hang a plow on your 1/2 ton Chevy, but in my opinion it's a rough way to treat your $30k truck. Better to go with the $2k beater 3/4 ton truck with rotten fuel/brake lines you'll replace for $80 in parts. If space is an issue, find an old Wrangler that's no longer in show condition. 

• Thanks 1