2017+ L5P reliability. Post good & bad

• 5 weeks later...

Cross post from another forum, but you'll get the drift:

My 2017 Silverado 2500 duramax does the same thing. Very very bad diesel fuel smell inside the cabin while in regen. And no, I am not talking about the burning plastic smell outside the truck while in this mode. I am very familiar with that and it does not bother me. My 2013 Duramax did not have this problem, in that regard it was a much better truck. I am so disappointed with this one. I have been to two separate dealerships for this issue, both of them tell me nothing is wrong and it is normal. Also, it does not matter what the climate control settings are, it can be either fresh air, recirculating air, or completely turned off, we still get the raw diesel fuel smell in the cab during regen. It is so bad it makes our eyes water. We have to roll down all of the windows just to get fresh air. Help GM! Something has to be done!

UPDATE March 2018:  I managed to get this resolved to my satisfaction through my local dealer. While they initially failed at diagnosing the problem, they did a great job getting it resolved, once they confirmed the issue!

I insisted that the local dealer's service department manually place the engine in regen mode, and then had the service manager take a ride in it. FINALLY he acknowledged the issue. They tell me that they had to make several phone calls to Chevrolet to get it resolved, and it involved some pretty major parts and labor to fix it. There is was a manufacturing defect in one or two of the pipes that mate together with a gasket. Sorry for the layman's terms, I'm not a diesel mechanic nor do I have any interest in anything with this truck other than using it for the purposes it was built. That being said, here is a partial list of the new major parts installed:

Converter (part number 12680277
Separator (part number 12682569
Clamp (part number 12683878
Hose (part number 12676884

There are many other parts on the list, consisting mostly of gaskets and seals. The final description of the repair, which finally solved the problem, is as follows:

"Performed exhaust adjust procedure per SI, installed intake manifold, reinstalled turbo and all components, installed EGR cooler, installed EGR pipe, all w/new gaskets, installed alternator, A/C compressor, intake duct, charged A/C system to spec, bleed cooling system, performed catalyst system reset, performed service regen. Test drove w/service manager, verified repair, no exhaust smell in cab during regen, vehicle operating to designed intent."

I realize that description probably doesn't cover all of what actually was done, but at least it might lead others in the right direction when dealing with this issue.

Good luck to all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have only been in mine a few weeks but very impressed so far.  I came out of a 2016 F150 King Ranch 4x4 crew cab with the ecoboost 6cyl.  I haven't had a diesel since my 2006 and love my new truck.  Only have a little less than 1000 miles on it so far but no issues, thankfully.  The F150 certainly had some features on it that this one doesn't but I had some issues with that truck.  I am hopeful this one will serve me well for many years.

I agree with m5guy above - the lack of some features that were in my F150 takes a little getting used to but none were so important that I had to have them again.  Even if they are resolved in the next model updates, it wont likely move me to get out of this one. 

If you have a new diesel, then expect to see occasional issues pop up primarily with the DEF and DPF system.  Otherwise a very solid platform. 

You mean by this, refilling every oil change ? I’m only at 10k miles. I haven’t had any DEF issues other than it drinks more than my in laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Waaazooo said:

You mean by this, refilling every oil change ? I’m only at 10k miles. I haven’t had any DEF issues other than it drinks more than my in laws.

Lots never have any issues with Dmax trucks. 

DEF usage should be proportional to fuel burned. 

Lots of dmaxes never got def tank filled at the dealer, messing up perception of how much they use. 

Like fuel tanks, the factory does not fill def tanks.

• Like 1

Lots never have any issues with Dmax trucks. 

DEF usage should be proportional to fuel burned. 
Lots of dmaxes never got def tank filled at the dealer, messing up perception of how much they use. 
Like fuel tanks, the factory does not fill def tanks.

I buy from amazon and refil 3 gallons at 15% alarm on the DIC

I'm referring to DEF tank failures and DPF regen issues.  I am fairly positive that you'll encounter some by the time you hit 80,000-100,000 miles.  go look over at duramaxforum.com and read about the DEF and DPF issues they are having.  Same thing with over on the Ford Super Duty diesel forums and Dodge Ram Cummins forums.  The key to avoiding the DPF issues is allowing the truck to complete the regens which means plenty of highway driving.   My 2008 didn't have any DPF issues in the 80,000 miles I had it, and thankfully DEF wasn't slapped on until 2010/2011. 

• 1 month later...

I just traded my 2017 L5P Silverado 3500HD LTZ on a 2018 Sierra Denali 3500HD L5P earlier today. I got a smoking deal and what I wanted for my trade. I had 15k trouble free miles on the 2017. I went from a 2016 Denali Duramax to the 2017 and the difference between the 16 and 17 was like night and day. I think I have owned every version of a Duramax since 2004.5, and they get better every time. The DEF is a non issue. I keep two bottles in the garage, when the light comes on, I put a full 2.5 gallon bottle in. When I put the second bottle in, I simply make it a point to stop at the local dealer and pick up two more within the next week or so. 

20 hours ago, AUTOGUY said:

The DEF is a non issue. I keep two bottles in the garage, when the light comes on, I put a full 2.5 gallon bottle in. When I put the second bottle in, I simply make it a point to stop at the local dealer and pick up two more within the next week or so. 

It's a non issue until filling up the DEF tank doesn't turn off the DEF and check engine light like so many have experienced around 60,000-100,000 miles and you end up needing a new DEF heater, tank, pump, and whatever else.  But I'm hoping to see a trend of where the DEF and NOX issues are not showing up on the newer trucks at right around 60,000-100,000 miles like they have been for the 2011+ trucks. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Truck drinks DEF, but I tow a lot so I guess that's to be expected. 8500 miles on the truck, and 4 jugs of DEF so far. Had the first oil change, and about 600 miles later the 30% DEF comes on.. Guess the dealer didn't fill it.  Oh, and why the refill under the hood? No way my wife can reach up to do that.  Truck hauls like a beast though, and I do know the top speed.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, ImBroke said:

Truck drinks DEF, but I tow a lot so I guess that's to be expected. 8500 miles on the truck, and 4 jugs of DEF so far. Had the first oil change, and about 600 miles later the 30% DEF comes on.. Guess the dealer didn't fill it.  Oh, and why the refill under the hood? No way my wife can reach up to do that.  Truck hauls like a beast though, and I do know the top speed.

Your dealer probably didn't fill it. 

Like fuel, only a small amount put in at factory.

(Of course, other than adding some to verify it's filled there is know way to tell whether its at 31% or 99%)

I added first def after 6500 miles.

It had given the 1000 mile warning, and was at about 20% remaining, according to gauge.

Based on amount to fill, it's running just of 1100 mpg.  Seems to be a little higher usage than my LML. 

Looks like add def at the same time as oil change.  OLM was about 15 -20% remaining.

I 'm glad the def is where it is. Don't want the wife adding diesel to def tank or def to the diesel tank.

I don't let her change the oil either.

• 5 months later...

Regen  issues and multiple trips to the dealer. I bought a ‘17 2500 with 20,000 on it the first week of December ‘18. It’s now the second week of February ‘19 and I’m at 31,500. Cosmetically it’s had the heated steering wheel replaced and needs a gear selector, mirror marker light, leaky oil drain plug. Mechanically it’s been a damn nightmare! 

It’s had the EGR coolant hose replaced due to a leak, coolant reservoir replacement due to the constant “coolant level low” light. It’s gone into “Engine Power Reduced” mode 8 times! Pretty much every time I drive the truck it gives me the message “Cleaning Exhaust Filter, Keep Driving “ for at least 20 miles. I’ve changed out the air filter with AC Delco OEM filters 7 times. The last time I brought it in to the dealer I was told that the problem was likely due to a clogged air filter which was a maintenance issue and that for $350 diagnostic + install a new filter and force regen it should be good. I declined. They did a regen on it and said the DPF was 95% clogged but now it was clear. 

Two days later I drove home to Montana (1,100 miles) with no issue. On the way back to the Denver Metro Area two weeks later it was -12° so I added a healthy amount of Power Service and kept the tank relatively full. 300 miles into my drive in the middle of BFE while climbing to the continental divide the truck started sputtering as if the filter was clogged! I pulled over at the summit and added a bottle of diesel 911 and crossed my fingers. I carry an extra fuel & air filter so I could have changed it out on the side of I-90 if needed but this really made me reconsider my choice of vehicle! Not 50 miles later I stopped and topped up my tank and changed my air filter just Incase. When I started it back up the traction light was on and stayed on for the duration of trip (12 hours with no cruise control). Once I reached Denver I unsuccessfully attempted twice to make a service appointment. 

Over the the next few days I towed a few loads between 5&7k lbs through the Eisenhower Tunnel and was surprised that it hadn’t gone into “limp mode” as it usually does seconds after turning on the exhaust brake upon exiting the tunnel, it only stayed in “keep driving or else” mode for 45 miles! Now she’s parked until Tuesday when I have an appointment at a new dealer for yet another coolant leak and this damn regen issue. I found this thread while looking for options to keep the hood scoop from drawing in moisture and clogging air filters with ice. Ironically I read one article where GM states that their new cold air intake was tested at the Eisenhower Tunnel! That’s exactly where I seem to experience most of my issues! High elevation and a load = make an appointment for service.....again! 

I thought I was getting a good deal paying $50,000 for a truck with 20,000 miles on it but it just ended up being an expensive way to achieve high blood pressure!

My wife drives a ‘16 LML and had regen issues during forest fire season with clogged air filters. Now we change them out every oil change which is roughly every three weeks! 10,000 miles a month towing at the least an empty 1,500 pound trailer at freeway speed isn’t exactly using it as a grocery getter! She has 215,000 miles and running strong!

9C579F1A-8517-4BF7-A508-5474DD74F5CC.jpeg

D0AA7F80-927A-4191-BFA1-B5EEC5382F9A.jpeg

E067CC96-DC39-4F39-AF6B-26CB215BF60F.jpeg

Edited by TinkeringFox

• 3 weeks later...

Got my truck back from the dealer last Thursday with a new EGR cooler. It’s now the following Tuesday 3/5/19 and my truck just went into “Reduced Power Mode” 130 miles into a 400 mile trip!!!! I’m now in BFE towing a 6,000 lb trailer going 45 miles an hour on the downhill sections. It’s -10 and not survivable if I need to walk. I’m going to rip this damn DPF out and use it for target practice! I’ll be dropping it off again as soon as I get back to civilization and hopefully I’ll get it back within a week this time....although making payments on a truck that spends more time at the dealer than their “for sale” trucks do is really awesome ???

72725BBA-6636-4229-9089-73C6DBEB8554.jpeg

Edited by TinkeringFox
200 miles of this!!