Best AT Tires for a 1500 4x4 driving in the rain?

I run the Bridgestone Alenza H/L Plus. Still pretty light for MPGs/low rolling resistance but they are excellent in rain/good in snow. I ran them on my previous RWD truck and never had issues at steep boat ramps etc. I got this Chevy with the stock goodyears and couldn't pull boats out without spinning in 2wd. 

They also seem more stiff for towing with less wag in the rear end. Also, the truck doesn't bounce ridiculously over larger bumps that compress the suspension quite a bit. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

New 2018 GMC Z71, CrewCab 1500 Just got rid of the cheap Goodyear’s that came on the truck, installed Michelin Defenders and very happy with them until I almost got stuck in wet grass while at a sports field. KO2’s I love but are way to heavy ruining mpg’s. Defenders are awesome in rain and dry but not to good in wet grass. I’ve also looked at Nitto and other brands but really want to stay away from Asian made tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost getting stuck on a sports field is not a reason to replace your Michelins for an AT tire, imo.    Perhaps if your tire pressure was different or your tires weren't brand new they may have slipped less. Unless you plan to do significant driving off of public roads I believe your Michelin Defender's were the right choice!

22" wheels aren't well suited for off-roading.  My manual says not to go off road with even 20" wheels and the tow rating is decreased to 5,000 pounds with 22" wheels.  I reckon then that is why BFG doesn't offer them in that size but if they did it just for looks in a P-rated style, that would probably appeal to some folks.

In rain the BFG's aren't the best (heard some traction issues and the C shaped tread has been known to cause occasional hydroplaning especially when worn), not to mention they are noisier than your current tires and will be worse on mpg. Some of the other suggestions (Ridge Grappler, Duratrac, ect) are hybrids so they are more aggressive than AT tires and more towards a mud tire (hence the Hybrid designation) so they will be louder on the road and worse on mpg. Since you bought your current tires you seem to be concerned with quiet, mpg and road handling so the less aggressive the tread the better the road manners in most cases but less off road ability so find a balance.

Tires like the Cooper AT3 are highly rated and strike a nice balance both on and off road (plus they have won comparison tests from expedition portal both on and off road, well priced and made in the US). Michelin AT2 is well regarded and performs good on both but higher priced, they do notoriously last a long time. If you are looking for a more aggressive tire like the BFG's the General Grabber AT2's are a better alternative. In p-rating (so lighter than LT tires) they have the deepest tread (16/32) and a 60k warranty, similar look with a more open tread design so they are less susceptible to hydroplaning and are snow rated as well but they are a little louder than your current tires since they are more aggressive. So many choices out there, good luck!

Is there a different tire for 4x4 vs 2wd trucks or does that matter? Just curious because the thread title is specific.

Tyler

I have Cooper AT3's and I was shocked the first time I drove through standing water.  There was absolutely no hydroplaning and I could barely tell there was standing water.  So far I have been very impressed.

Cooper is based in Ohio and the AT3's appear to be American made.

Commenting for my own record as I'm wanting to get something a bit more aggressive looking myself but something that performs well on the highway and in rain.

Liking the looks of the Cooper AT3's and the Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires!

Commenting for my own record as I'm wanting to get something a bit more aggressive looking myself but something that performs well on the highway and in rain.

I Heard some negatives on both, cannot handle high temperatures and found some videos on YouTube claiming the Nitto’s fell apart. I’m sticking with my Defenders for now and recommend everyone to consider safety over looks. I’ve driven SUV’s and Trucks all my life and have always had BFGOODRICH AT’s up till the new KO2’s but really don’t like their increase in weight. Mpg’s may not seem like much when you drive within range of gas stations but I sometimes go very long road trips and losing 3-5 mpg’s makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, sage55 said:

Adding "looks" into the tire buying equation is important but sometimes comes at the cost of noise, performance and longevity.   In the snow, for example, the wimpiest looking set of snow tires will surpass some of the most gnarly looking boots!  I have found the Michelin LTX MS series the best all purpose tire.  Luckily, I also like the look.

17 hours ago, MMcE said:

I have Cooper AT3's and I was shocked the first time I drove through standing water.  There was absolutely no hydroplaning and I could barely tell there was standing water.  So far I have been very impressed.

Cooper is based in Ohio and the AT3's appear to be American made.

I have the same tires in size 33 on my sierra, great tires and quiet, looks nice and performs great in dry/wet/snow

On 2/6/2018 at 1:04 PM, amxguy1970 said:

In rain the BFG's aren't the best (heard some traction issues and the C shaped tread has been known to cause occasional hydroplaning especially when worn)

That C-shaped tread block is exactly what makes the tires so good in the rain.  It is copied from the Radial T/A.  I used to run them on my 1980s Buicks and could do 80 mph in the rain and not budge an inch.  They were also good for 1.72 short times at the track without a burnout even.  I have driven these KO2s in my truck at 80 mph in the rain and the truck didn't budge either.  

Tire pressure is very important with getting the proper performance and wear out of them.  There was no equivalent air pressure going from P-Metric to an LT for my truck.  BFG said to run them at 50 psi when all I needed to surpass the various weight ratings was 42 psi compared with 30 psi for the P-Metrics.  They wore too quickly in the 30s and low 40s and wear fine now and actually ride just as nice at 50 psi now.  I've made but a few runs with these KO2s on the drag strip thus far.     

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 5:03 PM, ryanhardy said:

I have nitto ridge grapplers (35x11.5x20). Quite possibly one of the best tires I've ever had on my truck. It plows through all the snow in upstate NY, and I've never had issues during the rainy season. MPG is about the same, maybe 1 mpg less. I can't hear road noise from them at all, except for maybe if you had all the windows down, and no music playing. Otherwise I don't notice it at all. about 10k miles on them for me, and so far a pretty decent wear rate. zero issues thus far, very aggressive looking (kind of like a MT) but keeps all the benefits of an AT

What lift do you have?

What are you rim specs? Offset? Backspacing?

On 2/7/2018 at 4:08 PM, swathdiver said:

That C-shaped tread block is exactly what makes the tires so good in the rain.  It is copied from the Radial T/A.  I used to run them on my 1980s Buicks and could do 80 mph in the rain and not budge an inch.  They were also good for 1.72 short times at the track without a burnout even.  I have driven these KO2s in my truck at 80 mph in the rain and the truck didn't budge either.  

Tire pressure is very important with getting the proper performance and wear out of them.  There was no equivalent air pressure going from P-Metric to an LT for my truck.  BFG said to run them at 50 psi when all I needed to surpass the various weight ratings was 42 psi compared with 30 psi for the P-Metrics.  They wore too quickly in the 30s and low 40s and wear fine now and actually ride just as nice at 50 psi now.  I've made but a few runs with these KO2s on the drag strip thus far.     

That is great they work for you, but there are countless people, threads and reviews all around the internet saying otherwise.

C-shaped isn't good for water excavation in the rain it is common sense, water needs to flow freely out not be held in like glove (which is part of the reason people have had some issues). Any great rain tire will force water out the sides with as little resistance, ever seen a race cars rain tire?

Traction in the rain is this case is more the hardness of the tire, they wear like iron, in order to wear so long the tread isn't as soft and supple which again inhibits traction some. They aren't bad, they just aren't great and if rain is a specific inquiry they want excellent performance in then another tire should be considered.

Not sure what an extremely dated tire from the 70's (Radial TA) has to do with this tire but that is not something I would use as an arguement. We have had a few sets on our AMC's over the years, there are much better performing tires out there, none that have the fabled old school look but perform better none the less which is most important. You won't find those tires on any top performing drag, strip, autocross or road race car.

Tyler

2 hours ago, 6.2Chevy said:

What lift do you have?

What are you rim specs? Offset? Backspacing?

I have a rough country 3.5" lift. It's their budget, no cut, lift. around $550. On the stock 5 star chevy 20x9's right now. But as we speak they're being mounted on a 20x10 fuel maverick D610 -12 offset wheel

3 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Not sure what an extremely dated tire from the 70's (Radial TA) has to do with this tire but that is not something I would use as an arguement. We have had a few sets on our AMC's over the years, there are much better performing tires out there, none that have the fabled old school look but perform better none the less which is most important. You won't find those tires on any top performing drag, strip, autocross or road race car.

Tyler

I vaguely remember the same arguments people made near thirty years ago and my experience proves otherwise.  The Radial T/A was updated with a new tread in the early 1990s which is the same used today.  It was awesome then as now, no need to change it.  The sipes in the C shaped tread block ship water/dirt/mud out very well.  There's a huge difference between my KO2s and Rugged Trails, the former fills my running boards up with mud or sand or water many times over what the latter used to do.  So much so mud guards are on my list of things to do now.

Traction in the rain has to do with tread design.  I've had soft tires like the Eagle GT that spin at 45 mph while the Radial T/As offer 60-foot times that rival slicks.  Been there done that and thought I'd share my experiences with these tires Tyler.  I've even raced on the KO2s but have only made three easy passes, it had been over twenty years since my last.

Archived