2018 Traverse Rally Sport Turbo Joins Chevy Crossover Lineup – Specs, Details, and Images

Gorehamj

2018-Chevrolet-Traverse-RS-080.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

2-7-2018

The 2.0-liter turbo is the new default “upgrade” engine in everything from the Hyundai Sonata to some AMG Mercedes cars. Automakers like Subaru, Ford, and others moved the 2.0-liter turbo into compact and midsize crossovers eons ago, and many premium crossover manufacturers like Jaguar and Lexus now use a blown four with two liters as the engine for their sporty makes.

2018-Chevrolet-Traverse-RS-081 (1).jpg

Chevy’s Traverse joins the party this year. Calling the new trim the 2018 Traverse RS, Chevy says the new three-row vehicle, “injects a distinctive dose of fun-to-drive sportiness into the midsize SUV segment.”

The engine in the new Traverse RS will generate “up to” 257 hp and 295 lb ft of torque. The “up to” part means that Chevy is using pricey Premium fuel to generate those numbers, but you can use regular without burning holes in the pistons. Oddly, the peak torque arrives after 2,100 RPMS. That is actually high for a turbo. Many reach peak torque well below that engine speed. Chevy promises a “confident feeling of power on demand at all speeds." The transmission is a 9-speed auto.

Chevy doesn’t say so in its press release, but as far as we can tell, the Traverse RS is front wheel drive only. It looks to us like the smaller, less powerful turbo Traverse has a $250 per year HIGHER fuel cost than the 310 hp 3.6-liter V6 Traverse with FWD. Even the AWD 3.6-liter Traverse beats the fuel economy number of the new turbo. Here are the fuel economy numbers for all combinations of Traverse.

2018 traverse fuel economy.png

Here is the content list for the RS. Prices start at $43K.

§  HID headlamps and LED daytime running lamps

§  Upper and lower active aero shutters

§  Chevrolet MyLink radio with 8-inch diagonal color touchscreen and navigation

§  OnStar® 4G LTE and available built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot (3-month/3GB data trial)2

§  Multicolor driver information center display

§  Jet Black leather-appointed seating surfaces

§  Heated front seats

§  Universal Home Remote

§  Tri-zone automatic climate control

§  Bose premium 10-speaker audio system

§  Power liftgate

§  Keyless Open with extended-range Remote Keyless Entry

§  Remote start

§  Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert

§  Rear Cross Traffic Alert

§  Rear Park Assist

§  Surround Vision

§  Rear Camera Mirror

§  Rear Seat Reminder

§  Teen Driver 

On 2/7/2018 at 5:54 PM, pickmeup said:

Seems like you have to have a turbo in many segments now or buyers pass you by. Interesting that it has nothing it appears on paper against the v-6.

I guess I'm in the minority. I actively seek out non-turbo engines.

My wife has her eye on a new Traverse and the only engine option I'd approve is the v6.

Archived