GM Will Lose 120,000 Truck Sales In 2018, Will "Re-Import" Many Trucks

Gorehamj

On 2/15/2018 at 2:00 PM, KARNUT said:

If their not employing US workers and are being sold here they’re imports as far as I’m concerned. If they’re employing US workers then they’re domestic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assembly of a vehicle is nothing any more.  What matters to me is the profit destination and the support of highly paid engineers and accountants.  That’s far more than the assembly workforce these days.  Don’t let the  Asian car makers fool you.  Their dominance is a major factor in the demise of this country.  

How about the fact that Toyota's biggest plant in the world is in Kentucky?

Does that make those cars "American".

As far as that goes there's Honda, VW, BMW, Subaru and Mercades all have plants in the USA

Assembly of a vehicle is nothing any more.  What matters to me is the profit destination and the support of highly paid engineers and accountants.  That’s far more than the assembly workforce these days.  Don’t let the  Asian car makers fool you.  Their dominance is a major factor in the demise of this country.  

I guess you weren’t around in the 80s-90s when the foreign markets showed the American auto makers how to build reliable vehicles. At least they’re building them here now employing Americans. As far as unfair trade, that’s being handled now.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 9:23 PM, Rob Okray said:

In an age when Harleys "made in Milwaukee" have more parts coming from Asia and likely more specifically, China than America, I can't get much outrage worked up over this. 

Agree.  Besides, only 10% ~ 15% of vehicle total cost is final assembly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Read in my union newsletter that Oshawa has started to build HDs. Saw a few 1500s on car haulers west of the city last Tues'.

We haven’t started heavy duty, just 1500 double cabs and nothing over lt models.

On 2/16/2018 at 2:00 AM, Colossus said:

Keep in mind that only about 10% of cost, probably less in newest assembly plants, is in final assembly.  Subassemblies such as engines, drive trains, electronics, etc, are produced in any number of countries.  Consequently, the notion of “buy American” doesn’t have much merit anymore.

• Like 1

I could care less if Oshawa gets the work.  Oshawa was one of if not the highest rated truck plants GM had when it was in full swing.  At least its in some of the best hands up north.   

• Like 1

Most plastic parts on all GM cars and trucks come from Canada. Anyone who thinks there car or truck of any make is 100% country of origin better think again! 

• Like 1

For those with concerns about labeling, is it build quality concerns?   Your ex is Mexican/Canadian?  We want other nationa to buy our output.   We must willingly buy theirs.   With standards of course.  

On 2/15/2018 at 1:25 PM, Colossus said:

I don't consider stuff coming from Canada or even Mexico to be true imports, they are after all in NORTH America.. 

How very globalist of you. I'm sure Hillary has your back on that one. "No Nations, No Borders"!:P

This year, the American-Made Index became an analysis of cars assembled in the U.S. with high domestic parts content, predominant U.S. sourcing for engines and transmissions, and high U.S. manufacturing jobs supported per vehicle. It also de-emphasized overall sales.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/06/top-10-most-american-made-cars-2017.html/amp

Now someone can go ahead and post the prerequisite "Honda ain't 'Murican, I don't care how many US jobs they support".

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

I could care less if Oshawa gets the work.  Oshawa was one of if not the highest rated truck plants GM had when it was in full swing.  At least its in some of the best hands up north.   

Thank you, no North America company holds a BIQ4 standard yet, and Oshawa probably won’t tell next year.

We do have the second highest run rate and the lowest warranty work for electrical problems.

Oshawa plant has always been a filler plant, we build the overflow of other plants (other than the camaro 2010-2015) and 90% of our cars go to the states and 80% are fleet vehicles.

I’m very interested in the upcoming 2019 GM 1500 Twins.  Can’t find any info on the 5.2 and 5.3 specs though.  Noticed some GM dudes lurking around this thread.  What do you fellows know about the new truck?  Like it, yes, no?