Considering new truck, thoughts?

SSchup

1 hour ago, mferry22 said:

I hate the afm. Coming from a truck that didn't have it, I can feel it everytime it goes into 4 cylinder mode

Many of us have owned vehicles without AFM prior to this technology.  I must admit, I was a little bothered when I first saw the green indicator show-up.  I now welcome the display because it is such a seamless transition and no need for waste.  If you felt it everytime, did you take it in for warranty repair?   I've now owned two trucks with this feature.  I can usually guess approximately when it may switch but need the indicator to know for sure.  My butt is not numb and I can be pretty fussy about ride quality!  Next generation of GM trucks we'll see a variety of cylinder activation come into play which I'm confident will open a whole new chapter on counting active cylinders!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2014 GMC SLT 5.3 6 speed. No shakes, no problem with AFM, no problem with trans shifting. I have 46000 miles. I will be getting a new Sierra in 2019. Other than a few software recalls, I had heated seat problem that was fixed under warranty. No other issues.

This is the 2nd GM truck I've had with afm. My 1st was an 09 that had to have the pistons and rings replaced under warranty at 27k miles. One month after repairs it was down almost 2qts of oil. I traded it on my 2011 with the 6.2 because it didn't have afm. With my 17 I don't think there is anything wrong with the afm but I can feel a sluggishness to the acceleration with afm active. With it disabled it just feels quicker and more powerful. Ive also noticed the mpg penalty over my last 5k miles is negligible. 

The only issue I've had is the super bright backup cam. Dealer updated and works perfect now. Being in a similar position as the OP, I would keep your eye out for a truck you want and if they give you a deal you are comfortable with I'd do it. This generation is definitely more refined than the last.

11 minutes ago, mferry22 said:

The only issue I've had is the super bright backup cam. Dealer updated and works perfect now. Being in a similar position as the OP, I would keep your eye out for a truck you want and if they give you a deal you are comfortable with I'd do it. This generation is definitely more refined than the last.

Yeah, I'm in no hurry and I can wait to see if better deals come along. My 2013 is in excellent condition without any problems so I'll take my time looking for the right price.

Exactly what I did. Just for your info: My 2011 was a Silverado Crewcab LT w/NHT 6.2 with 80k in great condition. I got 20k for a trade. 2017 is GMC SLT Premium package w/6.2. Paid 43.5k w/out ttl. Sticker was 57k. Just to give you an idea of what my deal was. Boston area. Hope this helps

2 hours ago, mferry22 said:

Exactly what I did. Just for your info: My 2011 was a Silverado Crewcab LT w/NHT 6.2 with 80k in great condition. I got 20k for a trade. 2017 is GMC SLT Premium package w/6.2. Paid 43.5k w/out ttl. Sticker was 57k. Just to give you an idea of what my deal was. Boston area. Hope this helps

That sounds like you got a great price. I think I should be able to do as well. I don't need the 6.2 but I think if I can find the right deal I would prefer it.

Archived