1991 K1500 no spark, turns over

Greetings

New to the forums and im sorry that my first post is asking questions but it is what it is.

Friday i was on my way to work and the engine just shut off. Lights were still working, radio (and ham radio) were both still working. Gauges and everything on the dash still working. Power steering and breaks were out and of course the gas was not working. Rolled to the side of the road and got to a safe spot off of the busy bridge i had just come off of. Noticed that after the truck shut off, that the voltage gauge was very low. Probably about 7 volts or so. Someone stopped to help and attempted to jump the truck but it would got take. so called a tow truck. Got a tow over to my garage and started looking into it. Truck wouldn't start again since it happened.

Determined that is has no spark at the spark plug, and no spark at the distributor cap. Can someone point me in the direction of what to test next? Im not of a habbit of needlessly buying new parts until it works again. Id rather find the cause of the issue and fix it and then buy whatever components needed.

She turns over fine, compression sounds like its there. Not sure on the fuel yet but i figured i would check that after the no spark issue.

the truck is
1991 k1500 with the 5.7.

I just went through a spell with bad engine ground.

I had driven through a wind storm last fall, so violent locally, there were live wires and poles snapped..

no main road to bangor maine for a time.

I may have got a whiff of a wire.

I did not know it at the time. Truck ran great.

this created a random no start condition.. it went on 6 months.

but eventually started for reasons unknown.

I finally burnt the starter getting through this winter..

and finally found it:

broken engine ground.

left it with a crazy map sensor too

coil was swollen in ways gods lightning could do.. kept working random.

sudden endings electronically leaves a trail..

if you get the fire back, you may find other gadgets being stupored.

DSC01026w.thumb.jpg.e62d987798a6321f6cd5734b21b634a7.jpg

here is old coil.. you should refer to anew one to see how freakish this one is, and it never quite died.. I still keep it.

I am playing with a 96.. but feel free to use it as  reference.

Edited by barry G

yikes. scary stuff there. I will keep that in mind if the spark does randomly come back. They day it happened it was raining so never know. I tried starting it agian about two hours after i broke down and still wouldnt start and still had no spark. Someone elsewhere had mentioned that if i have no spark at the plug and no spark at the coil, it probably means that my ignition module went bad. He said that this is something pretty common with the truck. Thats fine and all but i want to test this before i go buy a new one because for all i know it could be something farther down the line ( pickup coil, wiring, so on.)

• 1 month later...

late update. ended up being a bad ignition control module. The one in there that the previous owner put in was some cheap chinese model and he never put the thermal compound on the bottom. im guessing it fried itself from the heat. put the new one in and it fired right up (acdelco for the win)

• Like 1