Additional cornering lights?

Hi,

I'm trying to find a solution to what might be a relatively unique problem. I tinted the front windows ('16 gmc) and at night, when taking a corner, especially into dark residential areas when it's raining, I can't see well enough. 

I'd like to add some light specifically to lead me into corners. I'm happy to spend whatever it takes within reason. Seems like the fogs might be a decent spot but none of the light bars look like they would fit and center grill seems like they would be too recessed. Not really rallying my truck and would prefer something a bit more stealth so above cab seems out of the question. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

HS 

• Like 1

I’d do some research on here about different fog lights. I’m assuming that they replaceable on a 16 maybe not? I have a 15 and have looked into this some, a lot of guys say that some like the Morimotos have a wider light pattern which might be a better situation than rolling your windows down in the rain...

I do a lot of driving from Long Island to Syracuse and prefer leaving at like 2am. Wanted a little more light, while staying legal.
I ended up buying a cheapo bar on amazon and some pods which seem to be doing it for me. You could do a smaller pod and a sharper angle for your turns (?) just a thought.IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0621.JPGIMG_0622.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had a 20” and 2 led pods on each side behind my grill the 2 pods were angled off to the side like the guy above. I loved them for the fall, I could see deer waiting 10-20 yards off the road because the angled lights were covering the shoulders well. I have since “downgraded” to a 32” and wish i had that shoulder coverage.

• Like 1

When I had a 20” and 2 led pods on each side behind my grill the 2 pods were angled off to the side like the guy above. I loved them for the fall, I could see deer waiting 10-20 yards off the road because the angled lights were covering the shoulders well. I have since “downgraded” to a 32” and wish i had that shoulder coverage.

Precisely why I have them angled that way... really lights up the sides and makes me feel more comfortable when driving in pitch black situations!

Thanks for the ideas. 

So I went to three different places and got three different estimates/plans;

1) $180 installed. Two small (5inch each) RC cree led bars and brackets in grill, pointing to the sides. Flip a switch every time I turn. (1 hour of labor plus $90 worth of lights). Canopy and 4x4 store, mostly canopies. 

2) $750 installed. Two Rigid led bars (5 inches each) in the grill pointing to the corners (4 hours of labor plus parts). 4x4 Parts. $250 in parts, $500 labor. 

3) $600 installed. Two four pack leds (no brand name that I saw) flush mounted in bumper corners and activated by turn signals (maybe, depends on whether they would have to go through CANBUS). This seems like the best option but it means holes in the bumper. Stereo place who sells lighting. $100 in parts, $500 labor. 

These plans all seem drastically different to me though. Not sure what to do. 

Edited by Homeslice

If your planning on using these more often than not I would suggest you get DOT rated lights especially if you have them come on with the turn signals cause at some point I’d bet you’ll have a run in with Johnny Law. Instead of hacking up the bumper I’d look into installing lights in the air dam with a custom bracket as it will be a lot cheaper to replace if you want to go back to stock and it keeps the light as low as possible so your not inadvertently blinding other drivers like I think might be a real possibility if you go with option #2. Might be able to use a smaller surface mount light with out a bracket also. Look and see if you have a metal fabrication shop in your area and go talk to them about brackets and options. There is no way I would pay 500 bucks labor to have no name lights installed, if your paying that much you might as well get something that’s going to last, IMO you get what up pay for with these lights. Look at Rigid Industries I’d recommend a diffused led as opposed to a spot or flood as it spreads the light out better, no need to light up peoples porches. I’m using a single Rigid SR-Q 9045  as a reverse light on my side x side that gets used and abused year round (I plow/hunt/wheel with it). It’s been on there for almost 2 years works perfect, never have had a problem, and still looks new. Rigid also has some nice complete wiring harnesses and switch options if you decide to make this a DIY project. 

• Like 2

It seems like you’ve done your research, just guna throw one last bit in on my part...
I have to flip a switch on when ever I use them, but, they are legal, light up the sides nicely,self installed for $80 in parts, and can be installed/removed with no permanent modification to the truck.

So....peeling off the tint or going to a lighter tint is off the table?

I’ve fought that battle of seeing at night enough, kept it legal this go around and just had the back tinted a bit darker to give the effect that the fronts are darker.

OP, you could look into the pods that mount on your hood right below the window as well.

• Like 1

I'm considering some sort of fix also....no tint issue, just crappy headlamps. I'd have to think of something that I could leave on full time as I drive a lot of curvy roads at night and flicking a switch at every other minute would be ridiculous.

I was thinking about something along this line, the other night on my way home from work, and I'm looking at getting a couple of the "pen-head" LED lights, like what some of the guys have used to light up the step pockets in their back bumpers, tied in before the flasher relay of the turn signals.  After reading some of the posts, I may even rig a separate switch to have them both on, and taking power from the high-beams (maybe). 

On 2/20/2018 at 5:28 AM, Spurshot said:

So....peeling off the tint or going to a lighter tint is off the table?

I read an argument on this forum supporting the heat reducing qualities of front tinted windows. I agree with this reason.   If the tint is impairing your vision, then it is too dark.  Adding tint that reduces vision to protect you from being seen,  or to beautify your truck is wrong.  It is potentially unsafe for the driver and pedestrians.  Most of us have taken a corner at least once and found ourselves surprised by an unexpected pedestrian.  Add poor driver visibility and risks are increased.  Extra lights aren't going to help your case if illegal tint is found at the accident.

• Like 1