Additional cornering lights?

I didn't see this mentioned but having dot rated fog cubes won't do anything if they're not mounted and aimed at fog level. Mounting them up high is not going to work out as you'll end up blinding someone. I would lose the tint as that's probably the best way to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cars and trucks have been sold with cornering lights that come on with the turn signals, when the wheel is turned, or both, for over 50 years. Watch any recent vintage BMW, or pre-2000 Cadillac take a corner and you can see the lights aimed about 45 degrees off center, sometimes mounted as part of the fog light assembly and sometimes as a separate light fixture on the fender, come on and stay lit for about 30 seconds after the corner is completed. Any shop that does custom lighting should be able to configure these for your truck. There are complete kits, but they could also be wired up using fog or driving lights aimed outward and a "cornering light relay" for an older car model that had them, like a 1980s or 1990s Lincoln Town Car; Ford probably still sells them as replacement parts.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have a '17 LTZ with the led fogs... Part of me wants to take them apart and put LEDs in there to flood the corners, but probably a bad idea. Curious if there was anymore work on this one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, 74Sprint17SierraATX said:

I do a lot of driving from Long Island to Syracuse and prefer leaving at like 2am. Wanted a little more light, while staying legal.
I ended up buying a cheapo bar on amazon and some pods which seem to be doing it for me. You could do a smaller pod and a sharper angle for your turns (?) just a thought.IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0621.JPGIMG_0622.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the name of this bar. I want to add a couple 8" light bars I have laying around and aim them like this to add to my 32" curved light bar hidden in my grill.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:34 AM, GMCSierra99 said:

What is the name of this bar. I want to add a couple 8" light bars I have laying around and aim them like this to add to my 32" curved light bar hidden in my grill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CEICZLC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely not the best quality, but it does what i need to do. Theres a few different brands on amazon. 

1 hour ago, 74Sprint17SierraATX said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CEICZLC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely not the best quality, but it does what i need to do. Theres a few different brands on amazon. 

Awesome thanks. I have Mictuning light bars I want to mount. Thanks again.

13 hours ago, wahooper1 said:

I thought this might be helpful for anyone wanting to do cornering mirrors that turn on automatically with the turn signals...

cornering_light.jpg

If I were doing something like this I would use a transistor or FET with the R/C circuit to drive LEDs for cornering instead of another relay.  You could also use a potentiometer and tune the time delay for turning it off.

I'm not sure how these trucks are set up electrically, but if they have a standard flasher relay you could just get on the steady signal wire to the flasher relay or from the turn signal switch, but I don't have the electrical layout to see if that is possible.  It might just be easier to wire an independent switch or right to the fog light supply for this situation, though.

I have the Morimoto fogs on my 2015, they are significantly brighter and throw a much wider pattern than the factory fogs. They help me watch for deer in the bar ditches. I would whole heartedly recommend them to give you better light dispersion.

However...

timting your front windows so dark that you are concerned about being able to see at night is not wise. This could quite literally bring a tragedy into your and maybe someone else’s life.  One or two shades lighter tint is not going to ruin the appearance of your truck or significantly affect the cooling and protective aspect of your tint. There are more expensive tints that are slightly metallic and therefore more reflective from the outside, which creates the illusion of being darker. That type of tint might be a better fit for you. Be smart.

15 hours ago, Darksky said:

I have the Morimoto fogs on my 2015, they are significantly brighter and throw a much wider pattern than the factory fogs. They help me watch for deer in the bar ditches. I would whole heartedly recommend them to give you better light dispersion.

However...

timting your front windows so dark that you are concerned about being able to see at night is not wise. This could quite literally bring a tragedy into your and maybe someone else’s life.  One or two shades lighter tint is not going to ruin the appearance of your truck or significantly affect the cooling and protective aspect of your tint. There are more expensive tints that are slightly metallic and therefore more reflective from the outside, which creates the illusion of being darker. That type of tint might be a better fit for you. Be smart.

I have no tint and have the same problem. Been dealing with it for 3 years. I have Morimoto HID headlights from TRS, but that doesn't help much. The fogs help some. But I, too, would like more light; particularly right turns. The entrance to my neighborhood is slightly higher than 90deg and I'm just hoping for the best when I turn in at night. Just poking around the Internet it seems several other folks of different makes/models have gone the route of the Ford relay. Chevy supposedly has a relay used in older model Tahoes, too, but I haven't found that p/n.

• 2 years later...