3.08 to 3.73 gearing swap

I have a 2wd Silverado 5.3l with a 3.08 axel ratio, I tow a 6300 pound trailer dry and want to change the axel ratio to 3.73 or 4.10?  How much will it cost (1 axel)  and is it simple and do I need a new carrier for either of the other ratios, also I am in the Bay Area next to san Francisco and need a good shop. Also the only difference between the two trucks, 1 Tow’s 7k the other tows 10k, is the only difference the axel ratio?? Thanks u all

1 hour ago, Justin ratto said:

I have a 2wd Silverado 5.3l with a 3.08 axel ratio, I tow a 6300 pound trailer dry and want to change the axel ratio to 3.73 or 4.10?  How much will it cost (1 axel)  and is it simple and do I need a new carrier for either of the other ratios, also I am in the Bay Area next to san Francisco and need a good shop. Also the only difference between the two trucks, 1 Tow’s 7k the other tows 10k, is the only difference the axel ratio?? Thanks u all

thats why i traded for a Dodge Ram 400hp and 3.92 gears 8sp - my chevy silverado 5.3 3.08 6sp was a slug compared to the Dodge

3:73 will make a nice difference.  As for cost not sure what it will cost for the gears, but I see $300 around here in eastern NC to change out the gears.  It isn't hard, just time consuming.  Plenty of YouTube videos out there.  I'm sure if you Google for places around you to do the gear swap you should come up with a few.

To order the factory 3.73 and get the increased rating the Max Tow package must be ordered.

This is the 2016 listing:

Max Trailering Package, On Crew Cab and Double Cab models, includes 9.76" rear axle, (JL1) trailer brake controller, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR

Whole point is it's more than just a gear change to get the higher ratings.

Ok thanks but the difference in the Manuel between towing 7k and 10k says it’s just the axel tatio, I understand that the towing package is all that stuff. I have a trailer brake controller and bags in the back I just want to make my truck work a lil less cause I want it to last longer. Question, I can just have some one change gears and I should be good to tow 10k??

I am in process of getting this done too.

I have the 3.08 and going to 4.10, I was told I do not need to replace my carrier.  There is an adapter ring that will allow you to use your 3.08 carrier.

I will be dropping my truck off next Monday as parts just arrived today.  I'll update when its done and if there were any issues during the install.

• Like 2

No, as noted above the only difference isn't just the gear ratio and you are good to tow 10k. Who ever manuel is he is telling you wrong. You go and try and tow 10k you will be highly illegal and responsible if something happens because of your doing, your sticker is your final rating for your truck regardless of what you add to it. A lot more goes in to a tow rating than just the gear ratio, ditto with what the manual says, there is more to it than one number you are reading in to. It will make it pull it easier when accelerating than your 3.08 but doesn't just magically sprinkle 3k towing increases on your truck...

Tyler

A 6300 lb dry trailer is a heavy load and I would consider it to be in a weight class more suited to a 3/4 ton pickup.  If I found myself in a similar situation. I'd look for a heavier truck or a lighter trailer.  As mentioned earlier, changing gear ratios won't increase your truck's load or towing capacities.

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

A 6300 lb dry trailer is a heavy load and I would consider it to be in a weight class more suited to a 3/4 ton pickup.  If I found myself in a similar situation. I'd look for a heavier truck or a lighter trailer.  As mentioned earlier, changing gear ratios won't increase your truck's load or towing capacities.

So according to this theory a 1 ton pickup rated to tow 15,000 should not tow more than around 9400?