Ok guys. New to the site and looking for some options. Building a 383 and stuck on cam choice. Go on in a 1985 Silverado. I like a lot of power but it will not be a hot rod. Good country cruising. Not to say I won't get after it now and then just not daily. Would like good torque . All opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Need a LOT more information.

Automatic or standard, If automatic, what stall is the converter? Has AC? Power brakes? What gear ratio? 2 or 4 WD? What other parts are you using? etc, etc, etc....

Then define country cruising.. Where I was born and raised it would be low altitude, dirt and paved roads that we would cruise at about 25-30MPH. Where I live now it would be very low altitude, paved roads and cruise at about 70MPH.

a basic recipe would be something in the [email protected] range in a hydraulic flat, wider lobe sep maybe 112, dual plane, 650-700 cfm vac sec.

build it with some compression and run premium.. need tire size and trans ratios to calculate rear gear.

Edited by i82much

Sorry forgot the info. Will be running 373 gears. 700r4 trans. 33inch tires. Motor will have 10 to 1 compression with AFR heads 195 runners 73cc chambers with duel plain intake. And long tube headers. Cruising speeds 35 to 55mp. . Stall converter don't want to run more than a 2200. I know it's not much more than stock just don't want much more.. . On top of motor will be Fitech fuel inject.

just off the top of my head, that seems pretty reasonable.  I have  a mild 396 in a 1972 K10, 3.73 gears, TH350, and 32"  tires, it is just about right.  

just off the top of my head, that seems pretty reasonable.  I have  a mild 396 in a 1972 K10, 3.73 gears, TH350, and 32"  tires, it is just about right.  
What cam you running. This is what I'm stuck on. Looking for ideas not good at cams. Need the right one the first time. Lol

Need a LOT more information.
Automatic or standard, If automatic, what stall is the converter? Has AC? Power brakes? What gear ratio? 2 or 4 WD? What other parts are you using? etc, etc, etc....

Then define country cruising.. Where I was born and raised it would be low altitude, dirt and paved roads that we would cruise at about 25-30MPH. Where I live now it would be very low altitude, paved roads and cruise at about 70MPH.
Info below

23 minutes ago, wayne.mattingly said:

What cam you running. This is what I'm stuck on. Looking for ideas not good at cams. Need the right one the first time. Lol

i don’t know, bought it this way. my rec was based on an old crane i ran in a 350 in the 90’s.

35-55 mph.... seems a little extreme to build a 350 with 10.0:1 with AFR heads, etc to only drive 35-55 mph. I'd suggest a stock 350 with Vortec heads and factory cam. Put the Edelbrock 2116 and carburetor on it stock 1 wire HEI distributor and roll out.

You said its not going to be a hot rod, so why are you putting one together? Im only curious.