2014 Silverado blowing hot air out of passenger side and cold on driver side?

It’s odd that one day my A/C works fine and the other it blows hot to the max air out of the passenger side and cold to the max on the driver side. Defroster isn’t working properly either because when I have it on it just blows air out of the regular vents. Took it to the dealer and they say it could be running out of free-on but that wouldn’t cause it to blow hot as hell air out of one side and cold as hell air on the other no matter what temp setting you have it set. It’s a ‘14 I don’t think it should be having these issues plus we ride with Windows down most of the time.

image.jpg

My 2011 did this when my battery went dead along with some other weird stuff that I thought was caused by a battery drain issue. Replaced the battery and all was well. I'm not sure that your issue is the same but, I would bet it's something electrical and not mechanical like running out of freon.

4 hours ago, RubiconJoey said:

My 2011 did this when my battery went dead along with some other weird stuff that I thought was caused by a battery drain issue. Replaced the battery and all was well. I'm not sure that your issue is the same but, I would bet it's something electrical and not mechanical like running out of freon.

You bring up a good point. My battery did die and we replaced it but since I drive witch my windows open I never noticed it until my GF asked me why the heater was on and I’m chillin in the cool air lol so I will try and pull the battery for 20 seconds I guess and reset the system. Maybe it works?

Update: So I took it to the dealer again and that was a waste of time because apparently nothing is wrong with it. So I took matters in my own hands and started pulling the HVAC and the Dual Climate control fuses and took the battery off for approximately 2 minuets and put it back together and turned it over to see what happens. Not sure what fixed it weather pulling the fuses or pulling the positive terminal but now everything works properly. Just for anyone who has the same issue this is a quick fix the dealers will charge you for. Thank god for the internet lol.

Edited by Brianx220
  • Like 1

Temperature blend door actuators have been an issue for years-both my '05 + '06 Silverados. In reading up on the issues, it had been an issue for years. Some folks have had success with the battery, like here, others have had to change out the actuators, like me. I would have thought it was resolved...guess not!

41 minutes ago, Ian Pritchard (Hydroguy8) said:

Temperature blend door actuators have been an issue for years-both my '05 + '06 Silverados. In reading up on the issues, it had been an issue for years. Some folks have had success with the battery, like here, others have had to change out the actuators, like me. I would have thought it was resolved...guess not!

I thought the same, that maybe GM would wise up and fix it but apparently even some 2017s are having the same problem. Lucky for them is most are still under the 36K mile warranty. As for me, my 2014 has been a great truck for about 83500 miles and now this. The simple fact that we don’t use the A/C that often made me think more of the system needing a reset rather than anything mechanical like freon or actuators needing replacement. 

Holy Crap Brian, you live in Houston and don't use the A/C that often?  Guess I am really a wuss, after moving from the PNW to SC some 14 years ago I still haven't gotten used to the humidity and I use the vehicle a/c probably 10 mos. a year. We had mid-80's temps here this weekend so even the house a/c has been on a couple of nights and it's still February for gawds sake!

My 08 Silverado 1500 had the exact same issue with the actuators. My 14 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton I never had a problem and so far so good on my 17 Chevrolet 2500 has not had this problem as yet. It was really annoying and never resolved.

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2018 at 7:52 PM, Brianx220 said:

Update: ...So I took matters in my own hands and started pulling the HVAC and the Dual Climate control fuses and took the battery off for approximately 2 minuets and put it back together and turned it over to see what happens...now everything works properly.

Signed up to confirm this.  Below are the symptoms and resolution to this exact issue.

2014 GMC Sierra Denali

Symptom: On full blast AC mode, driver's side luke warm or hot, passenger side cold.

Resolution

1. Turn ignition and power off

2. Remove negative battery cable

3. Remove fuses 35, 55, & 56 from BMX fuse panel "inspect them"

4. Wait 5 minutes...

5. Reinstall fuses 35, 55, &56

6. Reconnect negative battery cable

7. Turn ignition back on

8. Don't touch HVAC controls for 3 minutes.

9. Test Driver vs Passenger side temps

Most likely the HVAC door actuator was out of calibration and a loss and return of battery power forces a recalibration of the unit.  Hopefully this helps someone needing clear and concise instructions.

Edited by Torquenstein

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 2:01 AM, Torquenstein said:

Signed up to confirm this.  Below are the symptoms and resolution to this exact issue.

2014 GMC Sierra Denali

Symptom: On full blast AC mode, driver's side luke warm or hot, passenger side cold.

Resolution

4. Wait 5 minutes...

7. Turn ignition back on

Most likely the HVAC door actuator was out of calibration and a loss and return of battery power forces a recalibration of the unit.  Hopefully this helps someone needing clear and concise instructions.

This is good stuff. I’m having an issue with my 2019 Silverado. The driver side is stuck on cold. Passenger side controls work flawlessly and will change as quickly as I change the temp. Driver side has zero fluctuation. I’m going to try these steps when I get home. Just in case my fuse numbers are different, we’re there any names/tags associated with those particular fuses? Like HVAC or something along those lines?

2014 GMC Sierra Denali

Resolution

4. Wait 5 minutes...

7. Turn ignition back on

Just looking for clarification between steps 8 and 9. So after turning ignition back on, when not touching HVAC controls for 3 minutes and then testing temps, am I right in assuming that means the HVAC system should be off, then turn it on and test temps? Or should the HVAC be on for the 3 minutes without touching or adjusting the controls and then test the temps. Also when testing, should it be set to auto, or another setting?

On 2/23/2018 at 7:52 PM, Brianx220 said:

Update: So I took it to the dealer again and that was a waste of time because apparently nothing is wrong with it. So I took matters in my own hands and started pulling the HVAC and the Dual Climate control fuses and took the battery off for approximately 2 minuets and put it back together and turned it over to see what happens. Not sure what fixed it weather pulling the fuses or pulling the positive terminal but now everything works properly. Just for anyone who has the same issue this is a quick fix the dealers will charge you for. Thank god for the internet lol.

Was it the positive or negative cable? I see another post that says to pull the negative cable and you said that you pulled the positive. Thanks for any advice.

2014 GMC Sierra Denali

Resolution

4. Wait 5 minutes...

7. Turn ignition back on

So, My Silverado is a 2019 with 150 miles on it. I opened the fuse box under the hood and the one by the driver side door panel and neither had a listing that said HVAC. I tried googling and found nothing useful. So, I pulled anything that was 10amp and looked like it could be related to the HVAC. Anyways, I had the negative cable pulled from the battery. Waited 15 minutes and hooked it back up. Went in the truck, started it, waited a few minutes and nothing has changed....the driver side only blows cold. It won’t change up or down. Passenger side works just fine. Dealer wants me to bring it in of course. Don’t you just love owning a truck for 4 days and having to bring it back to the dealer for repair?!?!

• 10 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 3:01 AM, Torquenstein said:

2014 GMC Sierra Denali

Resolution

4. Wait 5 minutes...

7. Turn ignition back on

I am having this same issue on my 2014 All Terrain. I will try this procedure when I get home to see if it fixes the issue. At first I thought that I needed a re-charge, but confirmed the other day that the two passenger vents are blowing cold while the driver side remains hot.

It seems like this really became an issue after I changed the battery last fall, but really did not notice until the weather started heating up.

One question: Should the HVAC be turned completely off before doing this procedure, or just leave it where it was?