2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

My $25k Kia has a "feature" where the defrost shuts off once the window gets warm. I guess that would be too much to expect from GM for double the price or more. 

I put feature in quotes because it sucked when I lived in a condo with heated underground parking. On longer drives when it's very cold, it will shut the defrost off when the window gets warm but it won't turn it back on when the window cools off again, so I'd always fog up when I pulled into the garage. 

44 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

My $25k Kia has a "feature" where the defrost shuts off once the window gets warm. I guess that would be too much to expect from GM for double the price or more. 

I put feature in quotes because it sucked when I lived in a condo with heated underground parking. On longer drives when it's very cold, it will shut the defrost off when the window gets warm but it won't turn it back on when the window cools off again, so I'd always fog up when I pulled into the garage. 

haha.. i've had fewer problems with a $20K Sonata than I have had w/ a $70K truck!  -_-

20 hours ago, nw96 said:

Just picked mine up. Again they stated they did not find any evidence of anything. However I did find this: e2260d23f3613335531361dc3860cf22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, umm... that doesn't look like it's supposed to be there.. Did the dealer notice that?  The "point of impact" was a damned mini blow torch caused by the defroster...

Also, did you report it?  If not, PLEASE REPORT IT TO:   https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

There is a section in your report where you can attach pictures.

You are one of the few who actually has evidence that there is some kind of electrical/fire damage.  All we have is the aftermath, and unfortunately, is not proof.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, Aaron Ch said:

haha!!! well... i've tried opening/closing the rear window, restarting it remotely, leaving that defroster on..... nothing.  bunch of bs...

the fact that your trim is melted should be proof enough! looking forward to hearing what your dealer/gm have to say.  Also, you should report it like the previous posters suggested.  That's a serious risk to customers and it should start putting GM on notice.  I am going to submit my complaint as well but I think mine is weak b/c I really don't have proof.

It has been to the dealer twice now for GM's investigation. They said today that GM asked them to look at the rest of the wiring that feeds the defroster to look for any more damage but they didn't find any. Still a shrink wrap window on the truck while I wait. The dealer said they had only seen this on 2015's so far, not a 2017. I believe that either the defogger relay sticks and doesn't shut of the circuit as it cycles or there is some sort of programming glitch. Time will tell I hope.... 

1 hour ago, Harold Harkonen said:

It has been to the dealer twice now for GM's investigation. They said today that GM asked them to look at the rest of the wiring that feeds the defroster to look for any more damage but they didn't find any. Still a shrink wrap window on the truck while I wait. The dealer said they had only seen this on 2015's so far, not a 2017. I believe that either the defogger relay sticks and doesn't shut of the circuit as it cycles or there is some sort of programming glitch. Time will tell I hope.... 

Pretty sure there is no difference between the 2017 and 2015 :P..

Thanks for the update!  

In the end no help from the dealer. Glass guy said it looked like something burned but the wiring looked fine. It cost me about $1200 ($900 for the window and $300 to my Chevy dealer for "diagnosis labor").  Showed them this and other posts but they didn't seem to care and said they've never seen this. I've bought 3 new Chevy trucks over the years from them. Pretty sure this is the last one. I did file the NHST complaint, not sure it will help. 

Also the dealer left my backseat out to "make things easier for the glass installer" however the glass installer did not need it out so got stuck putting it back in myself. Not a fun by yourself lol. 

11 minutes ago, nw96 said:

In the end no help from the dealer. Glass guy said it looked like something burned but the wiring looked fine. It cost me about $1200 ($900 for the window and $300 to my Chevy dealer for "diagnosis labor").  Showed them this and other posts but they didn't seem to care and said they've never seen this. I've bought 3 new Chevy trucks over the years from them. Pretty sure this is the last one. I did file the NHST complaint, not sure it will help. 

Also the dealer left my backseat out to "make things easier for the glass installer" however the glass installer did not need it out so got stuck putting it back in myself. Not a fun by yourself lol. 

You have a crap dealership and why didn't you make them put the seat back in? Did they show you the cause of the window breakage? There is no way I would just accept that garbage, either they show me the chip from a rock or whatever caused the window to break or I'd be elevating this up the GM food chain. Get a written statement from the "glass guy" stating something appeared burned. The defrost grid could be the culprit even though the wiring that goes to it looks fine...sounds like your window acted as a fuse.

9 minutes ago, SS502 said:

You have a crap dealership and why didn't you make them put the seat back in? Did they show you the cause of the window breakage? There is no way I would just accept that garbage, either they show me the chip from a rock or whatever caused the window to break or I'd be elevating this up the GM food chain. Get a written statement from the "glass guy" stating something appeared burned. The defrost grid could be the culprit even though the wiring that goes to it looks fine...sounds like your window acted as a fuse.

I agree with this post... SOMETHING BURNED!!!!!!   Unless you were lighting firecrackers in your backseat, then whatever burned is most likely the cause of the issue.  I'd be elevating the crap out of this.  

I looked in to the insurance route, $500 deductible, in the end wasn't worth taking the hit on my insurance record over $700.00

Many cases windshields or glass doesn’t affect your rates. I’ve had multiple insurance claims on windshields belonging to high dollar vehicles, always OEM glass installed, never going up.

Sent from above