2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

Complaint filed. 

Curious on how you think GM should remedy this concern? It seems obvious to me that this is ultimately caused by the water leak outlined in the service bulletin, would others agree that they should make that bulletin a special policy to extend warranty coverage for those who experience the same problem or just make their water leak fix a recall? 

9 minutes ago, BPIRKOLA said:

Complaint filed. 

Curious on how you think GM should remedy this concern? It seems obvious to me that this is ultimately caused by the water leak outlined in the service bulletin, would others agree that they should make that bulletin a special policy to extend warranty coverage for those who experience the same problem or just make their water leak fix a recall? 

I don't know if anyone on this thread is qualified and/or has even performed the necessary troubleshooting to conclude that the leak is the root cause of the defroster malfunction followed by shattered glass.

Has GM provided the root cause for this issue?

Edited by Aaron Ch
typo

GM has nothing to address the broken glass, my assumption is pure speculation but I do not feel it is unreasonable. Water leak in the same exact area that I saw the smoke, a electrical short that caused my truck to blow a fuse every time the defrost was turned on, to me it just makes sense. 

I don't know if anyone on this thread is qualified and/or has even performed the necessary troubleshooting to conclude that the leak is the root cause of the defroster malfunction followed by shattered glass.

Has GM provided the root cause for this issue?
Yes and it is unreasonable to pay dealer to address per damaged trucks. So no go for customer repair.
I however got mine serviced with approved GM fix and know I am good to go. And in Michigan boy do I need it. Continue on friends.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Yes and it is unreasonable to pay dealer to address per damaged trucks. So no go for customer repair.
I however got mine serviced with approved GM fix and know I am good to go. And in Michigan boy do I need it. Continue on friends.

I am having trouble following.  Are you saying that GM did identify the root cause for the smoking defroster followed by subsequent shattered window?  If yes, then what is it?

I agree that it is unreasonable for the charges to fall on the consumers.  In answering BPIRKOLA's question, I believe that if it is a known issue, then it should just be fixed.  I don't want an extended warranty HOPING that I don't have the issue after it expires.

1 hour ago, BPIRKOLA said:

GM has nothing to address the broken glass, my assumption is pure speculation but I do not feel it is unreasonable. Water leak in the same exact area that I saw the smoke, a electrical short that caused my truck to blow a fuse every time the defrost was turned on, to me it just makes sense. 

Understood.  Being in a technical field, you'd be surprised how often the OBVIOUS root cause is actually not the root cause.  Anyway, I believe that GM should be investigating this issue and should fix our vehicles.  I don't want an extended warranty in case something happens before it expires.  I'm with you.  Right now, I am afraid that my rear glass is a ticking bomb.  I have the rear defroster auto setting turned off but that glass is STILL warm in the middle after I remote start the truck.

1 minute ago, Aaron Ch said:

Understood.  Being in a technical field, you'd be surprised how often the OBVIOUS root cause is actually not the root cause.  Anyway, I believe that GM should be investigating this issue and should fix our vehicles.  I don't want an extended warranty in case something happens before it expires.  I'm with you.  Right now, I am afraid that my rear glass is a ticking bomb.  I have the rear defroster auto setting turned off but that glass is STILL warm in the middle after I remote start the truck.

I looked all over for a TSB relating to the rear glass shattering, found nothing. As a GM parts sales guy I could not find anything from GM saying "This is why" or "How to fix", the only thing relating to the sliding rear glass I found was about the water leak in which customers were complaining about a slightly damp floor under the rear seat. 

I am having trouble following.  Are you saying that GM did identify the root cause for the smoking defroster followed by subsequent shattered window?  If yes, then what is it?

I agree that it is unreasonable for the charges to fall on the consumers.  In answering BPIRKOLA's question, I believe that if it is a known issue, then it should just be fixed.  I don't want an extended warranty HOPING that I don't have the issue after it expires.
Has been looked at and issue has been found. Fix tested and works. Reports made. At this time it is not approved fix for customers on any official gm level. So the gm or dealer isn't going to fix this for customers.
I can't go it to much more detail then that. The smart ones here can put 2 and 2 together and know the issue and fix for under $5. Not trying to be an asssss hole but can't explain it any farther.

11 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Has been looked at and issue has been found. Fix tested and works. Reports made. At this time it is not approved fix for customers on any official gm level. So the gm or dealer isn't going to fix this for customers.
I can't go it to much more detail then that. The smart ones here can put 2 and 2 together and know the issue and fix for under $5. Not trying to be an asssss hole but can't explain it any farther.

lmao.. Definitely not coming off as an asssss hole!

We do appreciate your insight so thanks!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BPIRKOLA said:

I looked all over for a TSB relating to the rear glass shattering, found nothing. As a GM parts sales guy I could not find anything from GM saying "This is why" or "How to fix", the only thing relating to the sliding rear glass I found was about the water leak in which customers were complaining about a slightly damp floor under the rear seat. 

Hmmm.. If the TSB said that an approved fix for that leak is that little spongey looking thing, then why is 1SLOW1500 saying that it isn't an approved fix?  I must be missing something here....

Hmmm.. If the TSB said that an approved fix for that leak is that little spongey looking thing, then why is 1SLOW1500 saying that it isn't an approved fix?  I must be missing something here....
Water leak and the rear window are to different issues. And FYI there are more then one leak also just in case one person says xm attenna and other says 3rd light....

10 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Water leak and the rear window are to different issues. And FYI there are more then one leak also just in case one person says xm attenna and other says 3rd light....

lol.. well, I also have the onstar antenna leak too!  They have my "new and improved" antenna at the shop waiting for me.

You should just tell us the fix or secretly send an Amazon link to the $5 part so we don't have to worry about our cab going up in flames :P 

Man, GM is becoming a super awesome company.  Our Subaru had a shattered bottom windshield because of the wiper defrosters.  It was purchased used and out of warranty YET THEY STILL PAID TO FIX AND REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD.  I felt proud to have interned at GM a while back.. not so sure anymore...

13 minutes ago, Aaron Ch said:

It is GM's fix for the water leak on the sliding window, they do not specifically tie the leak and glass issues together. As I mentioned my theory is pure speculation, in my opinion the leak could very well be getting on something electrical creating a short or power surge through the defroster that causes the glass to shatter. I am by no means an expert on the subject and will gladly admit that I was wrong if it proves I am, I just feel like it makes sense that the water leak and my electrical short being in the same exact area and not just a coincidence. 

• Like 1