2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

lol.. well, I also have the onstar antenna leak too!  They have my "new and improved" antenna at the shop waiting for me.

You should just tell us the fix or secretly send an Amazon link to the $5 part so we don't have to worry about our cab going up in flames [emoji14] 

Man, GM is becoming a super awesome company.  Our Subaru had a shattered bottom windshield because of the wiper defrosters.  It was purchased used and out of warranty YET THEY STILL PAID TO FIX AND REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD.  I felt proud to have interned at GM a while back.. not so sure anymore...
New and approved antenna. Oh wait my Crystal Ball says the next post post is why is my new attenna leaking... Hmmm. It is shit.. Haha....
Anyways back on point. What is a defrost circuit... A short... What is a short... Positive and negative cause a heat on the element. Hmmm so what is the draw and is it possible that draw is to much for the wire size, fuse, or circuit. And is it possible a added resistance on contacts can increase the draw.? How can one protect the circuit or reduce the draw? Then if there is a element there where is the issue? Well it is at the highest heat source. Oh does that mean there is a problem at that point? Bingo. Resolve contact point fuse for over load and reduce draw.
Next statement is suppressed... Hope people understand. Like to be helpful but it's a catch 22.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

.. just stumbled upon this thread.. I also was unaware of this issue.

21 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Hmmm so what is the draw and is it possible that draw is to much for the wire size, fuse, or circuit. And is it possible a added resistance on contacts can increase the draw.? How can one protect the circuit or reduce the draw? Then if there is a element there where is the issue? Well it is at the highest heat source. Oh does that mean there is a problem at that point? Bingo. Resolve contact point fuse for over load and reduce draw.

.. first thank you for your insight on this issue.. I'm all for not totally spoon-feeding and encouraging self education (very active in the open source community) but some anonymous details of your solution may be helpful .. I do not have access to oem schematics or GM designed circuit values.. yes i could spend a lot of time measuring and tracing this all out.. I assume you used some variation of op amp comparator or current limiting to the oem circuit?

.. just stumbled upon this thread.. I also was unaware of this issue.
.. first thank you for your insight on this issue.. I'm all for not totally spoon-feeding and encouraging self education (very active in the open source community) but some anonymous details of your solution may be helpful .. I do not have access to oem schematics or GM designed circuit values.. yes i could spend a lot of time measuring and tracing this all out.. I assume you used some variation of op amp comparator or current limiting to the oem circuit?
I did nothing but walk in to building and talk to the guys that work on claim issues and engineering. Asked a few questions. Saw what they had laid out on the bench and asked for that part. Went home and added it to my truck. In the talks there was a few possible solutions. That I compared to off the self parts and electronics.
I still have some ideas on a better system but I have a warranty that includes the glass so dont know if I want to take on another project till I see how this works out.
Before anyone asks I have NOT heard if a solution will be offered as of yet. There is a whole process to that and it starts with admitting there is a issue the offering a resolve. I can ask and get a answer but I cant share that. My heart does go out to those that have had issues.
Who knows maybe in time something is leaked......

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just had the same thing happen to my 2016 GMC Sierra. I remote started my truck and when I went out and got in it. There was smoke rolling out of from behind my seat and a few seconds later the window shattered. 

So after posting to Twitter because the dealers wouldn't do anything they reached out to me and provided a 360.80 cost assistance that was generated by a "policy tool". After contacting the dealership to set this up after I was explained further that it was off the top cost not off my insurance deductible of 500 so my cost would be 541. I told them I might as well stay with my original plan of having Safelite do the repair (as they would be the ones doing the repair at the dealership anyway) and pay only 500. 

I went to my appointment on Saturday and was informed they couldn't do the work as I have a topper on my truck, They wouldn't touch my topper. After getting out of them that they see about 2 a week on average for the same issue I told them they wouldn't see me again and another place would be doing the work.

Once the magic smoke is out, the window explodes :sigh:

I have 2 years left of warranty, but im going to disconnect my rear defroster.

I have it turned off rear defroster in settings but it still comes on at a certain temperature. 

34 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

I have 2 years left of warranty, but im going to disconnect my rear defroster.

I have it turned off rear defroster in settings but it still comes on at a certain temperature. 

.. underhood fuse box 30A fuse10

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, STRMTRPR said:

.. underhood fuse box 30A fuse10

Thanks! 

Could also just unplug wire from window?

will prob do fuse if that’s all that’s on that circuit. 

On 3/11/2019 at 11:17 PM, 2009GMC said:

Thanks! 

Could also just unplug wire from window?

will prob do fuse if that’s all that’s on that circuit. 

It does look like the #10 fuse under hood is solely for the rear window, cheap insurance until a fix is identified. I almost never have frost on my rear window.

image.thumb.png.dca6e2d0aa3e348ca715edce092a9a44.png

5 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

It does look like the #10 fuse under hood is solely for the rear window, cheap insurance until a fix is identified. I almost never have frost on my rear window.

image.thumb.png.dca6e2d0aa3e348ca715edce092a9a44.png

Same here on hardly ever really needing the rear window defroster. 

Thanks for the confirmation.

Edited by 2009GMC