2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

I once had the back passenger window on a sedan shattered overnight. I was in chicago visiting a buddy and parked on the street in front of his apartment. I just assumed it was some a-hole flatlander that smashed it in. But nothing was stolen or messed with in my car, (I never left anything of value in it) so I just got a replacement pane and moved on.

Now after reading this, I am thinking its likely it might have been spontaneous glass-plosion.... weird.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This actually happened to me a few weeks ago on my way in to work in the morning. I have a 2016 silverado 1500 and also started my truck that morning with the remote start. About 20 minutes into my commute when I started smelling burning wires. I got a little nervous and shut everything but my headlights off and a minute later I heard the same loud bang and my rear passenger side window blew out. I dropped it off at the dealership after work that day and they had it for almost 2 weeks before they said nothing was wrong with the wiring and they chocked it up to a “high friction situation” wtf does that even mean?!?!

ACCD708B-17F3-4ADC-B3B3-B7F8BECDC3E7.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/21/2018 at 10:18 PM, Paul Wojcicki said:

Good evening! Sadly this is my first post on this forum but I have lurked a bit. I own a 2017 Sierra Denali which I bought in May of 2017. I was driving today and after using my remote start to start the truck (like i do often) I drove 5 minutes and then smelled smoke. I turned around and saw smoke pouring out from behind the rear seat on the driver side. I began to freak out and pulled over to get out but about 10 seconds after I saw the smoke and began to pull over I heard a loud bang like a gunshot. I turned around and my rear driver window shattered into thousands of pieces. It stayed in place but shot a decent amount of glass inside and outside of the vehicle. I am dropping the truck off at the dealership in the morning to have this diagnosed and this is clearly something that should not of happened. I only think what would of happened if I had kids or people in the back of the truck when this took place. Very disappointed right now and want this taken care of, but figured I needed to post this on here to inform all of you about this issue. I have researched this happening and it is a common thing on some Ford f150s but I havent seen to much about GMC.20180221_155246.thumb.jpg.879f22a74290ed4f0e03ff15da7b4ffd.jpg

I had the same exact part of the window break on my 2016 Sierra. Remote started it one day while snowblowing so I could move it and next thing I know there was glass in the bed. At the time I was pretty sure I didn’t hit it with anything from the snowblower because the glass blew outward and I never point the chute towards it. There was literally no glass inside the truck either. Seeing someone else have the same issue leads me to believe there’s something wrong with the defrost on these windows because I know mine comes on when I use remote start. 

This seems like it is becoming a common issue. I just had the exact same thing happen on my 15 Sierra 3500 Denali. I had used the remote start and was letting it warm up in the parking space. After getting in I could smell smoke and saw smoke coming out of the bottom corner of the sliding glass window on the passenger side. About a minute later the glass on the passenger side blew out. I am hoping that this is not an issue with the wiring harness going to the window, and more of a defroster problem. But very hard to tell. I am trying to work through GM to see if they will help even though the bumper to bumper warranty is expired, otherwise I will be going through my insurance to get it replaced.

Window.jpg

• 7 months later...

Just had the same thing happen to my 2015 silverado. Used remote start, heard a sizzling noise when I got in. Pulled over to investigate the noise and saw smoke coming from the drivers side rear seat then the drivers side rear window exploded. Took it in to dealer and they cant find anything wrong and told me they cant cover under warranty. Called GM and waiting for their response. Sounds like they have a problem on their hands. 

On 11/23/2018 at 10:06 AM, Rocky81 said:

Just had the same thing happen to my 2015 silverado. Used remote start, heard a sizzling noise when I got in. Pulled over to investigate the noise and saw smoke coming from the drivers side rear seat then the drivers side rear window exploded. Took it in to dealer and they cant find anything wrong and told me they cant cover under warranty. Called GM and waiting for their response. Sounds like they have a problem on their hands. 

Keep on gm. Its a known problem and they replaced mine no problem out of warranty. I might have laid the story on thick but they covered it. 

• Like 1

I'm experiencing a similar issue in my 15 Sierra.  I can hear the buzzing/sizzling noise, and so far no smoke or broken glass, so I'm not using the defroster to avoid further issue.  Is the cause if the failure known?  I'll bring it by the dealership, but the truck is out of the bumper to bumper warranty at this point, so I'm not expecting much.  Buzzing is definitely related to the defroster and it goes away when the rear window is opened, but it does not seem to be coming from the electrical contacts to the sliding window.  In my case, it sounds more like it is from the drivers side window. 

This sounds rather dangerous and scary especially for me since I tend to have my kids sitting in that back seat. Is this a known issue with 2015-2017? I have a 2018 and haven’t seen anyone really being up this problem with the 18’s but man I’d hate to hear that someone’s kids got hurt sitting in the back due to shoddy rear defroster.

Apparently the window exploding has something to do with the resistors for the heating elements shorting out. Thats what i was told anyways. It really should be a recall because its very dangerous (but so should the sunroofs). When mine exploded the noise was so loud. Its not safe and gm knows its a problem. Idk if they were fixed with the replacement windows. No problems since mine was replaced. Knock on wood. 

Not sure if anyone else has this happen.  When I use remote start the rear defrost comes on automatically.  It doesn't matter what it is set to in the remote start settings.  Currently I have it set to off but every time I use remote start the it lights up the button for rear defrost.  I always have to manually turn it off after I start going.  Sometimes I don't remember and it just stays on and I notice it 30 minutes later when I get home.