2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

The issue seems intermittent as the noise is not present every time the defroster is turned on, at least in my case.  I have kids in the back as well and I would hate for the window to pop when they are in the truck with me.  Does anyone have a wiring diagram or other information on the defroster circuit through the window assembly?  I have not taken a hard look at it, but it looks like the path through the window may be hidden in the trim.

• 4 weeks later...

This just happened to my 2017 Silverado!  Driving home from work in a snow storm.  Nobody around, no snowblowers.  I heard a loud pop and thought my tire blew.  After a few hundred more yards and some cold air I realized half my back window was gone.  First pass at the dealership wasn't very successful.  Need to find somebody else to talk to there as apparently this happens.  My defroster probably was on and I did smell a bit of burning after, but not much.

Same exact thing happened to my 2016 sierra denali hd

The dealer is saying they see a point of impact and that caused the window to shader and smoke. Its BS the window had NO damage and im sure that "point of impact" that just so happens to be right where the contact wires are is from the over heating while auto started. They know i have full cover so send me to a glass place for my insurance to cover (it does) but i want to prove it wasn't caused by impact because GMC needs to take responsibility!

On 2/24/2018 at 2:56 PM, Paul Wojcicki said:

I just got a call from the dealer and they replaced the entire rear window assembly but have no reason as to why it happened. I do want to know why so it wouldn't happen again but mine was fully replaced under warranty no questions asked 

Hi Paul, I have the same truck. This morning, I saw smoke coming out of the window so I turned off the defroster. I am going to schedule a service appointment to have them check it out.  I turned off the defroster before the window exploded. Any advice for when I contact the dealer? Anything specific they should be looking for?

Im glad ur GMC dealer was helpful! Roseville MN GMC tried to tell me the window got hit and was damaged first causing the possible electrical short and sent me away.

Even the glass place i took it to agrees that the glass shattered due to overheating.  I am working on getting video from the gas station it happend at.

I wonder how many other people this has happened to and are getting sent away without it being reported to GM.

Im glad ur GMC dealer was helpful! Roseville MN GMC tried to tell me the window got hit and was damaged first causing the possible electrical short and sent me away.
Even the glass place i took it to agrees that the glass shattered due to overheating.  I am working on getting video from the gas station it happend at.
I wonder how many other people this has happened to and are getting sent away without it being reported to GM.

I have said it a million times but one more. Call your local gm service rep. He will request paperwork and truck info then will come back with a email saying you are all clear to have it serviced. Never let the dealer tell you no.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This all pretty much happened in 1 day, I needed it repaired quick and was scared to drive with a shattered window so i took it straight a glass place after dealer didnt help and they had my insurance cover it.

I then called GM motors and they opened a case i wanted my insurance to be reimbursed because i know it wasnt damaged first but they got back to me and said they cant. I am 300ish miles over bumper to bumper warranty but do have the wrap extended warranty. But only the window was replaced so its possible it will happen again. Then i will call GM first Thanks!

My 2015 Sierra just did the same thing today. I had it running with the remote start and the rear defrost on.  My rear passenger shattered when I closed the door though.  I'm wondering if the excessive heat weakened the window and the pressure from closing the door shattered it? Had to call GMC directly.. my dealership wouldn't touch it. 

Edited by ZG86

21 minutes ago, ZG86 said:

My 2015 Sierra just did the same thing today. I had it running with the remote start and the rear defrost on.  My rear passenger shattered when I closed the door though.  I'm wondering if the excessive heat weakened the window and the pressure from closing the door shattered it? Had to call GMC directly.. my dealership wouldn't touch it. 

Sounds like an awesome dealership lol. GM told me to bring mine to a dealership first. We should all somehow get a case or something going in case the dealers or GM say “sorry we can’t duplicate the issue”.  Please let me know what GM says and I’ll do the same with you. I need to schedule an appointment next week. Any idea why your dealership said they wouldn’t touch it?

I have my rear sliding set to off but it still comes on with remote start during freezing temps. 

Edited by 2009GMC