2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

After thinking about it, its probably not a true "short".

That whole circuit is basically a giant resistor (as that is what creates the heat to defrost the glass)

So I'm assuming it is pulling a descent amount of current. I bet the true issue is a poor connection in that black box that is causing high resistance. When you are pushing current, you don't want resistance as that in itself will heat up and start to scorch the contacts.

I'd bet money that is what everyone smells before hand. 

Contacts in the black box have too high of resistance and start to scorch, heat up and smoke and that high heat concentrated in that box on the glass is what shatters the glass.

I bet if you held a small torch on the corner of the glass, it would do the exact same thing. 

• Like 1

I wish I would have seen this yesterday... :(

Just found this after getting a call from my dealer this morning saying they can't find anything so decided to do my own research.

Yesterday my wife was driving our 2015 Silverado when she smelled something burning then suddenly heard a loud pop. She thought the truck caught on fire then realized the back drivers side glass had shattered. Of course my first mistake was taking it straight to the dealer.

They just called to say they found no evidence of any electrical fire ( I could smell it yesterday when I dropped it off) and can see a point of impact on the glass.( BTW they want $1400 to replace the glass!?!)

After reading this I asked them to pull the back seat and check the defroster and wiring etc. (of course for an extra $250). We will see what they come back with. Wish I would have known to contact a GM service Rep first

13 minutes ago, nw96 said:

Just found this after getting a call from my dealer this morning saying they can't find anything so decided to do my own research.

Yesterday my wife was driving our 2015 Silverado when she smelled something burning then suddenly heard a loud pop. She thought the truck caught on fire then realized the back drivers side glass had shattered. Of course my first mistake was taking it straight to the dealer.

They just called to say they found no evidence of any electrical fire ( I could smell it yesterday when I dropped it off) and can see a point of impact on the glass.( BTW they want $1400 to replace the glass!?!)

After reading this I asked them to pull the back seat and check the defroster and wiring etc. (of course for an extra $250). We will see what they come back with. Wish I would have known to contact a GM service Rep first

Wow! Are you paying for that replacement? I thought most insurance will fix it with 0 deductable? Maybe my understanding is incorrect though.

Edited by piratepenguin

4 minutes ago, piratepenguin said:

Wow! Are you paying for that replacement? I thought most insurance will fix it with 0 deductable? Maybe my understanding is incorrect though.

I have not approved the window replacement yet, waiting to see what they find in regards to the defroster etc. I had not thought about the insurance angle. I may look in to it. Thanks! 

35 minutes ago, nw96 said:

I contacted GM directly and they said to see the dealership.  I asked specifically for a GM rep but one was not provided.  The dealership I went to was helpful, but then again, my window didn't shatter.  That could've been a way different ball game.

56 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

After thinking about it, its probably not a true "short".

That whole circuit is basically a giant resistor (as that is what creates the heat to defrost the glass)

So I'm assuming it is pulling a descent amount of current. I bet the true issue is a poor connection in that black box that is causing high resistance. When you are pushing current, you don't want resistance as that in itself will heat up and start to scorch the contacts.

I'd bet money that is what everyone smells before hand. 

Contacts in the black box have too high of resistance and start to scorch, heat up and smoke and that high heat concentrated in that box on the glass is what shatters the glass.

I bet if you held a small torch on the corner of the glass, it would do the exact same thing. 

The black box is closer to the passenger rear window but I am seeing all of the driver side rear windows shatter.

Its sad gm gets away with making our insurance pay for it.  Please report to National department of transportation safety, easily done online. The more reports the more serious it gets taken.

U think the insurance companies would  want to investigate but i told mine and they didnt really care. They should sue gm for all the windows they have had to pay to repair, due to GM not helping.

I'm surprised to find out that the single glass piece cannot be replaced on the sliding glass models. It is a whole assembled unit being replaced on mine. Need to take the back seats out even to access the motor. Hopefully this will solve all my issues. 

Finally heard back late Friday, no evidence of smoke or any other damage but found a "point of impact" on the glass. Picking it up tomorrow and will just take it to a glass place myself. Thinking about pulling the seat and looking myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, nw96 said:

Finally heard back late Friday, no evidence of smoke or any other damage but found a "point of impact" on the glass. Picking it up tomorrow and will just take it to a glass place myself. Thinking about pulling the seat and looking myself.

May be try contacting the EPA. See if they will Levy a fine against them for trying to blow smoke up your butt. 

May be try contacting the EPA. See if they will Levy a fine against them for trying to blow smoke up your butt. 

[emoji23] good one. My wife is pissed. Feels like they are saying she's lying. I've bought 3 new Chevy trucks from this dealer. She holds a grudge. Don't think we are buying from them again

"Point of impact" is the exact thing they said to me too,  Its BS!  It wont let me upload video(too big). But when paused u can clearly see there was no chip or crack in window whatsoever while it was smoking. 

See my earlier replies for more details and photo of burn damage the glass people found.  What dealership? I hope everyone is using Google reviews on maps for bad dealership experiences, Maybe add link to this forum! Tons of people check google reviews.