2014-15 vs 2016-18 Reliability

I'm in the process of shopping for a new truck, and have seen a fair amount of complaints on this forum for both the 2014-15 and 2016-18 models. Some of these complaints dealers don't seem to fix which is worrisome to me.

So my question is, is one more reliable than the other? Or in other words, does one have less problems associated with it than the other or problems that are more minor?

I'm not dead set on either one and may end up with a used one, so if that's the case I want to get what's most reliable.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience of servicing the models since 2001, I have absolutely without a doubt seen way more issues with the 2014-15 models. Mainly the 2014’s. These problems range from just about anything you can imagine. I have a 2016 with about 35K on it and all I’ve done is regular oil changes. No problems with it yet

I'm with Logan and Grumpy!  This forum is a good read but don't base your truck buying decision on the complaints. 2014-2018 Silverados and Sierras are great trucks.  Use due diligence as you would when buying any new or used vehicle.

• Like 2

Same. 2014 here with 62,000mi. No issues. No repairs other than factory recall for a EPS. Reading the forums you’ll think every 2014up has no AC, tranny clunks, and shakes you to death going down the road. Also if you have anything “rough country” you’re angles are bad hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To the OP, I was in the same boat as you. Reading various forums scared me to death, but then I realized how few of the trucks actually have the problems you read about. My 2014 just turned over 67k miles yesterday, and the only "repairs" have been rear shocks and a battery, which I consider wear items. Also had the power steering recall. Take care of your truck, and it will take care of you. I look forward to many years and many miles with this truck. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Roadking01 said:

My only issue so far on my '15 with  30,000 miles

is the coolant smell up front by the grill which Chevy says is Normal ..????

its documented so we shall see what happens 

Roadking01 you may have this issue as I did with my 14 sierra. It was fixed and covered by the powertrain warranty

Edited by GMCSierra99

Everything on my truck is factory original, except what I added, and the couple of factory recalls. Had it in for the 4 free oil change/ maintenance. If not for that my truck wouldn't have been back to the dealer once.

I'd be more concerned about buying a used truck and how the previous owner took care of it/ modded it than I would worry about a small chance of a factory defect. for a 1-3 year old truck, the asking prices may lead you to consider a brand new one instead. Shop around and test drive anything you are consider buying.

That’s the problem with forums. You can go to any forum for any manufacturer or vehicle and be led to believe every one of them is a POS. People are going to post about problems. And forums are great for that when you are experiencing an issue. When you consider the amount of negative posts, compared to the number of vehicles on the road, things are not bad. Or at least normal and comparable to any other vehicle.

36 minutes ago, GMCSierra99 said:

Roadking01 you may have this issue as I did with my 14 sierra. It was fixed and covered by the powertrain warranty

yes I found that thanks to this forum ...told dealer and "we are following it " I will be on them  constantly yet politely and have them document the smell on my every visit ....

• 3 weeks later...